Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

all around 3 season underquilt

If you were going to get an underquilt for the widest possible usage (3 season - early spring to late fall) in the North East - think NY (Catskills, Harriman, Adirondacks) NH (Whites), NJ (Delaware Water Gap) - taking price and weight into consideration - used for backpacking, not car camping would the 3/4 Yeti or 20 degree 3/4 Phoenix be good choices? Could I get away with a 40 degree?
    What might be some other vendors to consider taking price, quality, and weight into consideration.

I have a Mountain Hardware 15 degree down phantom bag that is my top insulation. I am 5'6" so I am pretty sure the 3/4 is fine for me.

Maybe I am being premature but I have been hanging around the house and testing the hammock with my Thermarest and it seems like a major PIA. I am going to Catskills in a couple of weeks and even though it is hot as hell in the NE now in the areas I am going it still drops to like 55 at night.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Both quilts you mentioned are great quilts, but the only true way to answer your question is through trial and error. I would say if you can only buy ONE quilt for a do all quilt, I say go for the 20 degree Phoenix.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    From what I hear (never been) of the Whites, you can get snow as far as late Spring and early Fall, so I'd go with the 20-degree if I were you. Unless you want to supplement with your Thermarest (which kinda defeats the point of getting an underquilt for expected temps), the 20-degree will do you better than the 40-degree at those temperatures.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    thanks for the advice - after reading a bunch of stuff i actually just ordered one (20 degree phoenix)

i know i am going to want one...so wth - i pulled the trigger - it seems like a very quality piece of gear that i can't go wrong with really

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    I live in the Rockies. What I use is a north face down quilt that my mom got with a chevy trailblazer. She just gave it to me, anyway I take a 10x6 ft. Piece of 1/4 cargo netting and run it under the hammock, then I stuff the quilt in-between works great even in sub-zero temps. I would think anything allowing a bit of air space would do the trick as long as it could hold some heat

Oh yeah I have a marmot wind river 20 degree for the top
    Last edited by 720fly; 07-06-2012 at 10:12.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmileyns View Post
    thanks for the advice - after reading a bunch of stuff i actually just ordered one (20 degree phoenix)

i know i am going to want one...so wth - i pulled the trigger - it seems like a very quality piece of gear that i can't go wrong with really
    There ya go. Remember, for really cold temperatures, you can always supplement with your Thermarest or even a blue CCF pad from WallyWorld. You won't be as comfy, but living through the night is...somewhat...more important.

I hope you enjoy your new underquilt!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    thanks - hopefully it doesn't cause a divorce but it can compress so i can conceal it easily

are there any pointers if it is borderline in terms of being too warm. Like it it is 60 or warmer overnight? I have read an underquilt can be vented - any pointers on that? I am sure it will simply take testing and trial and error.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmileyns View Post
    thanks - hopefully it doesn't cause a divorce but it can compress so i can conceal it easily

are there any pointers if it is borderline in terms of being too warm. Like it it is 60 or warmer overnight? I have read an underquilt can be vented - any pointers on that? I am sure it will simply take testing and trial and error.
    Honestly, up to about 70-ish, I don't fiddle with the underquilt (unless I've got drafty gaps between it and the hammock, but that's another thing). I regulate temperature with my topquilt instead--kicking it off when I get too warm. If I go to bed and it's above 70 (but the expected lows are lower than that), I usually don't use an underquilt at all; if I have it with me, I just loosen the suspension until it's hanging with an inch or three of space between it and the hammock body. When I get cooler at about 3 AM, it's just a matter of tightening the suspension so it's touching the hammock again and then falling back asleep.

If I don't expect temperatures below 65 F (say, The Weather Channel is calling for lows around 75), I usually don't even bring an underquilt. Not likely in the mountains of New England, though.

Note that I'm a rather warm sleeper, though; YMMV on the temperatures to do that at. Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I received the Phoenix today and was able to try it out at the house. It was simple to get set up and it actually hugs you in the hammock. It doesn't seem to slide around and I was able to get it snug. Thanks to Adam and Jenny for getting it sent to me so quickly.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Congrats on your new gear..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast