Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellD View Post
    Great comparison with a lot of info. I am curious though how the switchback compared to the DB in your testing. You mentioned that it was more comfortable than the WBBB but did not compare it to the SB. I've tried out the Switch Backs in Hot Springs and have been thinking about getting the light hiker. Just curious how the two compare.
    I haven't had my SB up in a while, so I didn't think it would be fair to add notes without having it up. A couple of things off the top of my head:

There are more color options with Dream Hammock. The SB has a double pull zipper, which is on both sides. The DB has an overcover, which is not available on the SB. The SB has a couple of sewn in loops over each end, to which you can add a spreader bar or the like (similar to the photos that I've seen of the DD Hammocks).

When I did have my TTTG hammock up, I recall fussing with the hanging angle over & over, with it still not quite being right. Finally, when I put it up really tight - not even close to a 30* angle - it started to feel better. There's a photo of my blue SB in my gallery.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    This forum is killing me. I just emailed PapaSmurf yesterday reference a DB with the digital camo (I have some from the group buy). I am now even more tempted to get one made. I have to sell some hammocks first though. The temptation never stops.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I haven't had my SB up in a while, so I didn't think it would be fair to add notes without having it up. A couple of things off the top of my head:

There are more color options with Dream Hammock. The SB has a double pull zipper, which is on both sides. The DB has an overcover, which is not available on the SB. The SB has a couple of sewn in loops over each end, to which you can add a spreader bar or the like (similar to the photos that I've seen of the DD Hammocks).

When I did have my TTTG hammock up, I recall fussing with the hanging angle over & over, with it still not quite being right. Finally, when I put it up really tight - not even close to a 30* angle - it started to feel better. There's a photo of my blue SB in my gallery.
    I tried out the SB's in Hot Springs a couple of years ago. I do remember that John had the light hiker pretty tight without much angle. I tried the SB that Dale had rigged but I can't remember the angle. I'm with you 100% on fussing with rigging. Sometimes I do 15 plus miles a day while backpacking and the last thing I want to do is spend time trying to find the exact angle to make the hammock comfortable. I'm sure that I'm an extreme minority in this category but I have been sleeping in hammocks in Upstate NC, Northern Ga., Western NC., Eastern Tn and Southwest Va. for three years now in all seasons and I have never felt the need for a bug net. And this is averaging a couple of trips a month during this time. Maybe I'm just not sweet enough for the skeeters...I am interested in both hammocks so if you get a chance perhaps you could PM me some more info later. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellD View Post
    I tried out the SB's in Hot Springs a couple of years ago. I do remember that John had the light hiker pretty tight without much angle. I tried the SB that Dale had rigged but I can't remember the angle. I'm with you 100% on fussing with rigging. Sometimes I do 15 plus miles a day while backpacking and the last thing I want to do is spend time trying to find the exact angle to make the hammock comfortable. I'm sure that I'm an extreme minority in this category but I have been sleeping in hammocks in Upstate NC, Northern Ga., Western NC., Eastern Tn and Southwest Va. for three years now in all seasons and I have never felt the need for a bug net. And this is averaging a couple of trips a month during this time. Maybe I'm just not sweet enough for the skeeters...I am interested in both hammocks so if you get a chance perhaps you could PM me some more info later. Thanks.
    I meant Upstate SC...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had my DB 72 up today in black taffeta fabric. I did not like the fabric as much as the digital camo. It was a very comfortable fabric; however, streeetttcccchhhheedd - when I got in. Quick adjustment with the whoopies and it was fine. My daughters got in with me. More stretch & we were all suspended; however, our backsides were on the ground (maybe 325 lbs).

Of note, it was very comfortable to lay on my side in the hammock. Obviously, I had a very steep angle on my whoopies (loose ridgeline); however, it's very comfortable with any angle beyond 30*.

My daughters both noticed that with the overcover, it was about 10 degrees warming inside. Same bottom cooling effect from the wind; however, the extra warmth made it bearable.

Maybe there's less stretch with a different material. I also don't know if a double layer on the other one made it so there wasn't any fabric stretching or not. I'm not sure what fabric the digital camo was; maybe ripstop? Papa Smurf?

I don't think that I'd get one made out of the same taffeta fabric again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Here are a few photos from the last couple of days...
    That looks really comfortable... great review

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incub + Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Perfect timing Boomer!

The Dangerbird 68 in digital camo next on Randy's build list is mine and i can't wait. My current hammock is a wbbb 1.1d as well. It's reassuring to hear your thoughts and has made it even more exciting.

Thanks

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    +1 on everything in the OP on the DangerBird, except mine is double crinkle taffeta and 72 wide. It exceeded my expectations on comfort and spaciousness.

One thought though, doesn't it seem a bit odd that reflective anything be used in a camo hammock? I really like the look though. PapaSmurf makes nice gear!

I just bought a WBBB 1.1d from another member to see what all the attraction is about, but I expect to like the DB72 more. I'll update this if I'm wrong.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just a brief note on the black taffeta one. I used the hammock a second time and I didn't notice the stretch that I did on the first use. I'm not sure if it's a matter of the fabric stretching the first use (and then no more stretch) or if there was just apparent stretch on the first use while all of the fabric & knots tightened up.

All of that being said, I'd buy one again, but only in the double layer bottom. It's worth the extra few oz for the extra warmth & less chance of a bite through when no UQ in the summer.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

DB vs. SB my opinion

SB is good for three season use. No need for over cover and it is lighter. And due to zippers in middle of the hammock easier and more fun to use.

SB is small for true winter insulation, unless used with proper UQ of course. But still - I think big TQ will easily drop out from SB.

DB has easier setup. Just hang it up and You are ready unlike with SB. With SB there is sometimes problem with the hanging of the netting, tarp gets on the way of those lines. (In DB the space under RL is big enough, unlike in BB sometimes.)

DB is great for winter. Over cover is excellent. I have DL version and I'm sure the heavy polyester taffeta is much warmer in wind than nylon, even DL nylon. Sock would be warmer than DL DB 72, but there would be also extra fiddle factor. With over cover and heavy bottom material I can have almost the winter sock insulation but it is more elegant solution. (Off course I will put my CCF's between layers also.)

I have been playing the idea to ask from PapaSmurf if he could make DB 72 with only weather cover and leave the netting away. Zipper made similar like in SB. But I have not had enough experience yet about the real need for the netting. But usually if there is cold there is no bugs and no bugs means no need for netting.

But there is the thing that netting can be used as a 'see through weather cover' also. And it does not weight a lot. But then again those user friendly zippers would be nice....

Well we will see...

And as had been said, the workmanship is superb in DB.

P.S. Then there is also the excellent stow away ability of the weather cover. I'm not sure if it is possible to make weather cover only version such way that it could be taken out of the way in warmer weather similar what is done now and still get those more user friendly zippers with two pullers opening in the middle. Probably not...
    Last edited by voivalin; 10-14-2012 at 03:57. Reason: added P.S. text

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast