Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles

Glueing a space blanket to the foam pad

I just went throughthe HH forum, looking for a little guidance. What I am thinking of doing is glueing a SB to either the top of the foam SS pad, or enveloping it, so I can remove it. Living in new england, weather can change in an instant, and hot days can often have frosty nights (particularly in the fall). I am not overly concerned about the flexibility of the system, I'd just rather keep it all together. I know a number of folks here use the SB mod for cooler weather. Do you simply slip it in between the hammock bottom & the foam pad, or do you glue it, tie it in place, or mod it some other way? This is a project I'd like to take a look at this weekend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If you need to glue the pads together, try using Barge Cement. Works great.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    expect the mylar sb to shred with a little use.....a shreading sb caused a severely uncomfortable night for smee and i in oct, in snp a few years back....i repeat my oft stated caution.... sb are designed for single or rare reuse, they are fragile and are best used as an emergency or suppllemental....also expect repacking issues, once cemented to a pad... but hey,ymmv.

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

No need for glue

I use a Heatsheet SB (http://www.rei.com/product/750939), and so far it has held up for the whole season with no signs of deterioration. As Pan says, eventually you will get some deterioration and you will want to replace it, so don't glue.

Don't hyperventilate about it staying in place - I've had no problems with them moving. If you think about it, they are held in place between the hammock and the underpad with the tension from the elastics, and there's no forces trying to make them move even if you are tossing and turning.

My SB is slightly larger than the underpad, so I tuck the excess under the pad.

--Kurt

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    However you decide to attach it, if I understand how space blankets work, they need a gap of air between you and it, so I would suggest just using the SB on the side of the pad opposite your body ( the underside). I could be wrong, but I think having the SB on the top side would be less effective than using it on the bottom with the air space that is inside the pad.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Thanks all. I have a heatsheet kicking around somewhere at home, and didnt remember it till yesterday! As far as securing it to the pad itself; I think I will take the idea to simply put it there when needed, as opposed to glueing it. As for your suggestion mbwtt, you could be right...I may have to try that out in the colder weather. I am thinking though that, in warmer weather, I could get away with just the heatsheet and no underpad...

• + New Posts