Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Here's a couple of pics of my packgoats. They carry about 40 lb each, and I have 3 of them. They are great pets and pack animals. They follow me wherever I go, and find all they need to eat and drink along the way.

A recent camp

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gila_dog View Post
    Here's a couple of pics of my packgoats. They carry about 40 lb each, and I have 3 of them. They are great pets and pack animals. They follow me wherever I go, and find all they need to eat and drink along the way.
    Interesting. They don't become predator food? Thinking maybe wolf tracking or something if you're in the north country, or perhaps predatory bears.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Man, it took pictures to realize I've been doing this backpacking thing all wrong! You get something/someone else to carry all your gear and spare your back . . . and feet . . . and . . .

:-)

Hammock
    WBBB double layer
    Tarp
    Noah Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Camping Pad (2)
    Suspension
    Webbing
    pack goats are officially AWESOME!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i use a diy hammock, but my buddy..... 6'2" 245 uses a ENO double with no problems.
    Hops

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Re the packgoats...
    They weight about 200 lb. They are just rejects from a goat dairy. In the spring all the milk goats have babies, about half of which are bucks. Other than for meat there isn't much demand for them so they sell pretty cheap. To make good packgoats, tho, they have to be well bonded with you and that requires that they are taken away from their mothers when they are babies and fed by people (preferably you). That's a bit of a hassle, but it's the only way to make them bond with you instead of their mother. They get the huevos chopped off when they are about 7 months old and then they won't stink and they become good natured, and get big and strong.

I've not had any problems with wild predators, and we have plenty (mountain lions, bears, coyotes, bob cats, wolves). The only trouble I've had is other peoples' dogs. My yucca walking stick and size 12 boots have taken care of these problems so far tho. I have a .38 revolver along just in case, but I've never had to use it.

They really are great pack animals because they are so easy to deal with, tag along with you wherever you go, aren't dangerous, they are big friendly pets, they won't run off and leave you out in the boondocks, they find what they need to eat along the way, and are easy to haul around. None of these things can be said about horses, mules, donkeys, or llamas. The only drawbacks to packgoats are that you can't ride them, and predators are a concern. But they will go places horses,mules, and donkeys can't go. I don't know much about llamas, but they aren't your buddies, and I don't think they can climb rocks and cliffs like goats do.

If you are interested in packgoats find this book:
    "The Packgoat" by John Mionczynski. It's a great into to the whole thing.
    Last edited by gila_dog; 07-10-2012 at 18:42.

I'm 6'5 and 285. So far so good with a double layer weight weenie from BIAS with Knotty mods, whoopie slings and Dutch gear... And on the way a 12' 4-season cuben tarp from Hammock Gear, 50 degree Burrow and 30 degree 3/4 under quilt, both made of high dollar lightweight super awesome fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12