Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC

Hammock for big guy

I am 6-2 and 200 lb. I have bought and used a Hennessey Expedition Asym (velcro bottom type) and a Claytor Jungle Hammock. The Hennessey is too complicated, hard to get it and keep it tight, and I hate the velcro closure in the bottom. The Jungle Hammock would be perfect if it was bigger. But I just can't get diagonal in it. I really like the side entry, the simple way it hangs, the price, and especially the double bottom. I like being able to slip my foam pad into the thing and it stays there out of the way so I don't have to fight with it all the time. But my little wife will fit in it just fine. So now I need a bigger hammock for myself. It's gotta have a side entry, built in mosquito net, and a double bottom that's open along the side so I can put my pad inside, would be a major plus. Any ideas?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    You need the Warbonnet Blackbird double layer.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    i use the clark nx 250, im 188cm tall and 231# suits me fine
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I would say 1.1oz double layer Blackbird. You could also look at the Tree to Tree Switchback double layer too.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am 6-2 and 200 lb
    I have you beat by 75 lbs.

I find the Blackbird very roomy and comfortable. Just spend several days on the AT using it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gila_dog View Post
    I am 6-2 and 200 lb.
    You're tall(ish) not "big". I'm 5'10" 330 and love my ENO DoubleNest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    6'1, 260, and I like the Clark NX 200. You can get a zipper mod for your HH also, as a thought.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    6'1, 260, and I like the Clark NX 200. You can get a zipper mod for your HH also, as a thought.
    Tell me about that zipper mod. I'll bet it requires some expert sewing and equipment. The main thing I don't like about the bottom entrance on the HH is that it feels like I have a 2x4 in my hammock with me, right in the middle where my legs are. Does the mod get rid of that?

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.
    The ENO doesn't seem to have a double bottom. The Clark looks good too, but it's pretty pricey. Also, I don't want anybody's rain fly. They are all too small. They just barely keep the hammock dry, but not much else. I've been using a 9x12 tarp for a fly. I have packgoats, and I need to be able to stash the packsaddles/panniers,etc under my fly. The goats get their own tarp.

I looked at the Warbonnet 1.1 double and it sure looks good. And it doesn't come with a fly, you have to buy it separately (or not at all). Just need to come up with $200. Anybody want to buy the HH? Maybe I'll try to sell it (cheap) on this forum.
    Last edited by gila_dog; 07-08-2012 at 20:34.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Tell me about that zipper mod. I'll bet it requires some expert sewing and equipment. The main thing I don't like about the bottom entrance on the HH is that it feels like I have a 2x4 in my hammock with me, right in the middle where my legs are. Does the mod get rid of that?
    You can, or leave it. I left mine for options, never really bothers me but I know some that do (the bottom entrance). They can sew up that entrance for you if you want. 2QZQ is here on the forums, you can ask any questions you want of them. I got the Mod 4, gives me a stuff sack for the net as well. Website here: http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/index.html

The Clark looks good too, but it's pretty pricey. Also, I don't want anybody's rain fly. They are all too small.
    XL Fly is great, lots of room there, comes stock with the NX200. I've attached a pic of where I had it half out, basically a test setup to see how much coverage there was. Clark seems pricy, but by the time you add the cost of a decent hammock, XL sil tarp, etc, it's really not that much different. Of course, if you're someone that wants to take a bunch of time and find all the combination of stuff...well, that's fine. I just want a combo that works. Downside of the Clark is that they're a bit heavier than others, but that comes with being bombproof. Can say that the mosquito proof nature of the hammock fabric was a welcome godsend when I was in the BWCA lately.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    By the way....