HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    For self defense purposes against people, a very bright flashlight can be shined into a person's eyes. Wonder if this would work as a bear deterent, or if it would just make the bear mad.
    At night, it'd probably blind them. A blind charge may allow you to get out of the way, I'd definitely shine my headlamp right at their face if they were acting in a threatening manner.

Maybe stand in front of a tree and dive at the last second. Hopefully the bear plows right into it and knocks itself unconscious. Kidding of course.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    BushcraftUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    blue foam pad
    Suspension
    factory ropes
    [QUOTE=Camper1;764249]Ive got a couple of questions for those of you who camp in the US, firstly, in all honesty how do you deal with the concern regarding bears?

Do you think about it much, carry a gun/deterent? What precautions do you take if any?

We've (family and I) camped in bear country in MO, NM, CO and AZ for many years. I take the usual precautions, as mentioned already in previous posts, hanging food away from camp, cooking away from camp, etc. No food in tents, or hammocks, no hairspray, perfume, other smelly things that a bear may mistake for s food scent.
    I never go into the woods without a firearm, usually a .357 mag. revolver, often a shotgun or center-fire rifle, depending on what hunting season are open. the gun is not so much for bears as for mountain lions and two-legged predators. We often carry pepper spray also.

Secondly, this might sound strange and or turn into a laugh but in the event of a bear coming into your camp, would you prefer to be in a hammock or a tent? lol[

I don't think it matters. If you have something around your sleeping area that smells good to a bear, it will get in, tent or hammock or whatever. I've seen hard-sided trailers torn open, car doors ripped open, etc., by bears.
    BTW, grizzly's do attack people, but they often maul them and leave them. However, if/when a black bear attacks a person, they are trying to kill and eat them. Therefore a more aggressive response is required when attacked by a black bear than by a grizzly.
    Mountain lions will attack by stealth and ambush with the intent of killing and eating you, and are a more serious threat than bears.

/QUOTE]
    You can be wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be wet.

Fighting back

" Therefore a more aggressive response is required when attacked by a black bear than by a grizzly. "
    Yes, plus the fact that you really just aren't going to win a fight with a Grizzly, while you might be able to scare a Black Bear off. It's just hungry and might figure there's got to be an easier meal somewhere else. But if a Grizzly is attacking you, you probably torqued it off somehow.

An important note that's already been mentioned but should be repeated - not all Black Bears are black, and not all Grizzlies are brown. There are black Grizzlies and brown Blackies. How to tell the two apart:

Grizzlies have a distinct shoulder hump when they are walking on all fours.

Grizzlies have shorter, rounder ears.

Grizzlies have a slightly flatter face with a smaller bridge to their nose. Black bears have a straight nose.

Black bears usually have a lighter colored snout, while a Grizzly's snouts is roughly the same color as the rest of him.

Grizzlies have very large, straight claws.

Hopefully you observe all of these differences from a good distance...

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Bear spray seems to me more likely to dissuade a bear, though the sprayer needs to be prepared that he'll likely get some on himself.

Keeping all food well away and secure may be the best way to sleep soundly. And remembering, in the woods, we are their guests...
    As far as the spray, I've had two people tell me for fact that this works on large animals. It was used on a bull, yes a bull.

I'm a firm believer in keeping my food away from my camp. I've been doing this as long as I've been camping, not just hiking. When we camp at a campsite we keep our food in a bear bin or in the trunk of the car in our cooler inside sealed bags.

The only experience I've had with a bear is in Elkmont TN. It was a black bear. They are one of the smallest of the bears. Our last night we made something we call a cardiac arrest. Eggs, bacon, and cheese. He/she, being the bear, decided it was a good idea to visit us. When it got within site and went around our camp twice we packed the tent and hauled butt. When we turned the car around and pointed the headlights at the site the bear was at our camp fire checking it out, but we left it nothing to even nibble on. Aint no animal in the world getting my bacon. I'll die first...
    Last edited by Oper8or; 07-10-2012 at 21:50. Reason: left out the type of bear
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Bear Bags

Around Western Washington, bear bags are a really good idea for protecting you, your food, and your gear from all three types of bears.

There are the regular bear bears - shambling, 400-800 lb ursoids who would love to eat your food, and maybe you too if the circumstances are right.

Then there are the mini-bears - 30 lb raccoons with shockingly large claws and teeth, who will gladly rip up your tent and pack to get at your food, and could rip you up some too in self defense if they feel cornered.

Finally there are the micro-bears - squirrels, chimpmunks and the like, who don't pose much threat to you personally, but will chew holes in your tent or pack or any other nylon in order to get at your food.

So put your food in a bear bag. The tent, pack, or skin you save may be your own...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I hope to see bears when I hike, along with other forest creatures.

I live in south-central Canada (Ontario), so I don't know about Grizzlies. I've seen black bears maybe 5-6 times while hiking solo. They've always walked or run away. I think they care about eating us as much as we think about eating a squirrel: we could, and some people do, but it's a lot of trouble, you'd only do it if you were really hungry (like in Hunger Games!), or a little crazy, but most people just ignore them. Predatory black bears exist, but are extremely rare.

No gun (I live in Canada--technically no handguns allowed---and I'm not about to haul a rifle around backpacking). No pepper spray. No bear bell. On the trail I'm not worried. When stealth-camping or Crown-Land-camping, I'm not worried.

I AM worried when camping in a regular campsite that other people use, because I don't know how clean they have kept it. Is there a bear that is habituated to coming there and eating scraps or raiding coolers? This is the only time when I think maybe spray might be useful. As well, I don't cook smelly food while hiking. No bacon or steaks!

I used to hang my food PCT style, but it's a pain finding a suitable tree, especially in the boreal forest where the trees are short, skinny and close together. Now I put all food and smelly toiletries in an odour-proof Aloksak bag, then in an Ursack made of Spectra fibre and tie it with Spectra cord to a tree about 200 metres away.

As others have said, I'm more worried driving to the trail head. Driving is way more dangerous. And lightning, water, falls, etc, are more dangerous.

I laughed when I saw the original poster is from Australia. Really, you're wondering about bears? When visiting your great country, I recall a guy saying, "There are more sh**ty ways to die in Australia than any other developed country" Lizards, Crocs, jellyfish, spiders, snakes, sharks, and the list goes on. :-)

Hammock
    12ft dream hammock freebird
    Tarp
    Cuben 4s,
    Insulation
    incubator/burro
    Suspension
    Straps/Woopies
    Images
    Jackie Moon: Everybody panic! Oh my God, there's a bear loose in the coliseum! There will be no refunds! Your refund will be escaping this deathtrap with your life! If you have a small child, use it as a shield! They love the tender meat! Cover your sodas! Dewie loves sugar!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Lizards, Crocs, jellyfish, spiders, snakes, sharks, and the list goes on. :-) That's what I'm saying about OZ!!!
    When you think about it Australia has a thousand ways to snuff you out. I guess in N.America we should consider ourselves lucky!
    Yet Brucie and Phillipsart dont seem to have any problems!
    I would venture that even in grizzly land the biggest threat is still rednecks with a belly full of Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i live in black bear country and feel that i have a healthy respect for them. i hang a bear bag about 100 yards or so from my campsite, pack all things that smell like food into the bag including my cook kit, and carrie a small knife. i have had a few encounters over the past 4 years that i have been hiking and everytime the bears ran as soon as they heard or saw me.
    Hops

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    Well lack of work and all, I spend my days prospecting gold. Been on a good spot for 2weeks now. Just yesterday ( as some rafters ) were floating by ( I was watching then cause there was a few cuties on board. A bear made it's way into the water about 80 yards downstream, the guide was yelling for his guest to back paddle ( to avoid hitting it in mid-river ) bear got to the other side and walked away

Acer two thumbs up on your post

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast