Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bears n Camping

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
    Ive got a couple of questions for those of you who camp in the US, firstly, in all honesty how do you deal with the concern regarding bears?

Do you think about it much, carry a gun/deterent? What precautions do you take if any?

Secondly, this might sound strange and or turn into a laugh but in the event of a bear coming into your camp, would you prefer to be in a hammock or a tent? lol
    Camper, it is a numbers game, with the odds greatly in our favor. But someone will draw the bad cards now and then.

Black Bears are an under-rated danger IMO. Every so often ( maybe every few years? ) a black bear will kill and sometimes eat a person right here in the southern Smoky Mountains. And some few others are mauled but not killed and maybe not injured seriously. Like the guy up in was it Kentucky in 2010. http://www.kentucky.com/2010/06/29/1...ar-attack.html

I don't think they even knew they had any bears. But this one tried to haul this lone hiker off for dinner, it would seem. He was able- with the help of other hikers who came upon the attack in progress - to fight him off. Otherwise I think he would have been lunch.

I think "only" 2 were killed by Black Bears in North America in 2011, including one lady in AZ. Most of these kills seem to be predatory in nature, and mostly seem to be on women. Most but not all.

The deaths from Griz seem to be from rage or defense more often than predation. Again I think about 2 were killed in the US by Grizz in 2011. Not sure, but I think the 2nd person was killed in Yellowstone a few weeks after the 1st and by the same bear. Which authorities had refused to kill after the 1st fatality because the bear was just acting like a bear. But they did kill it after it acted like a bear the 2nd time. Some one correct me if I am wrong on that, not sure.

But anyway, as you can see, it is a numbers game. Millions(or hundreds of thousands?) of hikers each year with hundreds or maybe thousands of bears through out the entire country, and even Canada. On a bad year, two or maybe 4 of those are going to be killed by a bear. I'm sure if a few are killed, there are maybe even larger numbers that are attacked but live to tell the tale, like the guy in Kentucky. But the odds are something else ( drowning,lightning, falls ) is much more likely to get you. OTOH, the prospect of finding yourself ( or your loved one ) in the jaws of a hungry or enraged bear is kind of off the chart for horror.

In August 17, 1997, one black bear killed Raymond Kitchen, 56, male and
    Patti McConnell, 37, female and injured several others all in one bad day for all concerned:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America
    McConnell died from injuries while defending herself and her two children from a black bear attack on a boardwalk to the hot springs. Kitchen heard the attack in progress, and was killed while attempting to rescue. McConnell's son and a 20-year-old man were also injured. The bear was shot while standing over the victims.[64][65] McConnell's son received a Star of Courage for his attempt to save his mother. Kitchen also received the honor, posthumously
    So, I do not ignore the threat of black bears, even if 99.9% are going to run away from me. And even if odds are vastly in favor of me or mine never being attacked by a bear. I like bear spray or fire arms as well as all normal bear precautions. Though admittedly, I often find myself hiking with no weapons just because I am too lazy to carry the weight. Or I forget them.

Honestly, I worry a lot more about poisonous snakes. I nearly stepped on a snake on my last off trail map/compass hike. Looked like a water moccasin but he got in a hole- or under leaves- before I could get a good enough look and a picture. Might have just been some kind of dark water snake.

And when hiking anywhere but especially above timberline, lightening can scare the **** right out of you, even if it does not kill you!

P.S.
    One time, in a mountain range that had a very small numbers of Grizz that had immigrated from the Tetons and Yellowstone over the years, maybe 2 or 3 in the entire range, we got into camp after an exhausting days hike, near dark. The tenters started setting up and me and the other hammock hanger started trying to find some nearby trees. As we are tying off to one of the few available, we notice fur all over one side of the tree from a few feet up to just over our heads. And as we are looking at it, we decide it has that "grizzled" look to it. There was nothing else available without us having to leave the immediate area. Either I was tied to that tree, or I was 10 feet from it and my buddy was tied to it! I guess we were too tired to deal with it. My HH tarp flapping and snapping in the wind kept me awake for a while, while I was trying to listen for old Grizz, not exactly the most relaxing situation. But finally I passed out and slept apparently without moving. I was the last one to get up the next morning.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-08-2012 at 15:15.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    . . . Black Bears are an under-rated danger IMO.
    . . . So, I do not ignore the threat of black bears, even if 99.9% are going to run away from me. . . .!
    To Your entire post . . .

Well said.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    This guy is pretty relaxed must be the hammock...lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I am not mistaken, black bears kill more people than any other bears. They don't usually attack, but when they do, they kill. I have heard that you should play dead for grizzlies. They will rough you up and you will probably wish you were dead, but they might leave you alive. For black bears, if you play dead you soon will be. You should fight them as hard as you can. I have heard of women driving them away with hits to their noses with a purse.

But I am not an expert, I don't play one on TV and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So research this info for yourself.

As far as bear country, I have not run across one in the woods though I have found evidence of them. They do come to mind some, but not often. Take the proper precautions and enjoy the outdoors, it is about all you can do.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVWannabe View Post
    I have heard of women driving them away with hits to their noses with a purse.
    It's about attitude, really. Cats tree them, most people just yell at them and/or talk them away. There's a lot of misinformation about bears about.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVWannabe View Post
    If I am not mistaken, black bears kill more people than any other bears.
    In North America, grizzlies have actually killed more people than black bears in the last 30 years, despite having much lower numbers and distribution (>800,000 black to about 50,000 brown). They are much less nervous, more territorial, and stronger. Attacks are still exceedingly rare, but I would be very aware in grizzly country.

As far as hammocks, I think a tent and hammock are equal in terms of keeping them out: they don't. In the rare event that a bear wants into your sleep chamber, it'll do it either way. I do carry a sidearm in my hammock, mainly as a noisemaker if I run into a stubborn bear, but I consider the possibility very remote.

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    I've had three up close bear experiences, a cooler that took some heat for me once, and in all honesty the bears don't want any trouble. They just want your food. That said I still carry a .44 mag

As others have said, I just use some basic common sense where food is concerned. I follow most all of the suggestions except for cooking 100 yards from camp and instead just try to keep a clean camp in regards to food. All smelly items, including food, do get hung a good distance from camp however.

I've never had a bear enter camp, but recently had the following encounter which was my first, other than the typical sighting while on the move.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...010#post742010

Oddly enough, I generally have a firearm in my vehicle and with less frequency, on my person. However, I rarely carry one while backpacking.

DISCLAIMER: All of my backpacking is done in black bear country.

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    Ok if we are going to tell the stories

First time: on a fishing trip, guiding a father and son ( 14 years old ) I get the boy det up and take the fathe upstream about 35 yards. I begin to make small talk while tying on a fly for him. Out of nowhere the kid said there's a bear ( loud enough for use to hear him ) then without missing a cue, the father said --- that lieing f&@/Er ----- as much as I was in ahh, I looked back at where the boy was ( on a big rock about 18-20 inches off the shore in the river ) well there was a bear leaning towards him and sniffing the boy up. The bears sniffer was maybe 2 feet from this kid

OHHHHHH ch!t!!!!!!!!!
    I started thinking back to all the things I had heard all my life about bear encounters. I decided on trying to look big and bad. So I took my net and put it above my head and did my best roar. The bear turn toward me and I made two steps forward ( don't really no why I did that one ) she put her two front feet on a fallen tree and began to pounce on it ( hope that makes sence ) I lifted the net over my head once again and roared angain

She gently walked off into the river and swam across

The father was kinda shell shocked, and didn't even tip me????????

SECOND: this is really to that were part of one. I walking down this switch back thail in west Vail, co. When I come around a turn( happy as a hippy ) and right in front of me ( 50-60 yards ) is a cub!!!! Oh carp !!!!! Oh geez there another cub!!!!! OH MY GOSHHHHH!!!! Theres mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panic truly set in quick! She stood up on her hind legs and gave a small snort. This moment AMAZED me and gave my a second to gather myself. I began to speak calmly to her. Saying things like " it's ok " ----- " we're cool" ------- " I'm a leaving " -- while slowly walking backwards. She appeared to have listened as she lowered her herself down on all fours again.
    I just went down the hill beside the trail and a lll was good. WRONG

After a few yards I saw that the grass was matted down and off to the right was a piece off scat with a " Wendy's " hamburger wrapper as the glue holding the turd together. At this time I knew I would be seeing her again.

Before I go on I should tell y'all I was going threw some hard marital problemes and was camping in a old debri tee-pee a buddy and I built 10 years prior to this time. Some one had found it and had set up a real caves tee-pee ( pretty cool ) he/she left a TLC note some makers mark, some tools, and plenty of firewood. So I decided to camp there for the summer

Few days latter I wake up to assorted noises. I look around and see a big shadow on the canvas. I jumped out of my sleeping bag and grab my axe as I stood up. Now I'm face to face( canvas between ) with a bear. The tee-pee was set up with 6 inch Aspen logs. She was rythmaticly pushing her weight on the structure. The logs were flexing, and cracking. I kept thinking that as soon as one of those logs snapped I was going to bury the axe in her head.
    To the left of me was the enter/exit flap. I heard it opening and guess what there's a cub trying to enter!!!!!! I kicked some dirt at it a yelled at it and it backed out real quick. Then I heard a cub make a baby type call down the hill ( where my cooler was ) and moms dropped down and went to the cooler for a snack with the kids. Scare out of my mind, but it all worked out THAK GOODNESS

THRID I'll make it short

Wife and I are hiking mount royal in Frisco, co. On the way down we spot a young bear running across the path. We get down to about where we saw it. I look off the trail ( which is a steep drop ) and there's a bear swiping berries of a branch. So here's a bear right at my feet. We had been collecting berries as well, so knelt down opened my container and eat a couple berries with the bear I know it was stupid, but once again it all worked out

3 totally different reactions from me and the same reaction from 3 different bear encounters.
    No one can tell ya who to react to any surprise situation just go with your gut instinct

I carry the .44 cause I take the kids packing with me, well wife to. And she's the one that insist I bring it
    Long enough?

Images
    Dang, 720! That is a lot of encounters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    To Your entire post . . .

Well said.
    Thank you Bradley!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast