Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

Cornbread Are Square

...but why are under quilts? Okay, rectangular. Then we put a drawstring in each end and cinch 'em down so they're kinda football shaped. So my question:

Is there a reason why they aren't cut to resemble a football to start with, instead of a loaf of bread? Seems like a fair bit of fabric/insulation/weight could be eliminated.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 w/footbox and zip bugnet
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    When I made my full length DIY UQ from a poncho liner and a summer sleeping bag I did make it more "Football" shape (with a little Asym shape). It works awesome. Actually it works so well that it is making it hard for me to change to a 2/3 length because my other attempt (DIY no-sew poncho liner UQ) doesn't seem to fit my hammock as well.
    I think one of the reasons for the rectangle shape is it is a lot easier to work with, especially when working with baffles and down. From what I have seen some have the appearance of being a rectangle but do taper on the ends and the inside layer is actually smaller.
    Right now I am researching on how to make a DIY down UQ. Hopefully I can get as nice a fit as my current UQ
    Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. ~Author Unknown
    I seem to have lots of experience for my age

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    You are correct in your observations but just maybe 1/2 of a football. If you look at the description of a UQ on a vendors site and it has the terms tapered, trapezoid, etc their quilts are designed similar to what you described especially on the foot end. Not only is some material eliminated but the UQ wraps and seals easier around the hammock.
    Last edited by hangnout; 07-08-2012 at 09:18.

think it has to do with Application

If you were making on a production line type of scenerio you'd want to stamp out as many of the "same" quilt as you could to save time/money. Your customers are many different sizes, shapes, sleeping postitions, etc you make something that will work for the majority. The rectangular shape will work best for the majority.

Now, for DIY. You are making it just for you and it's a "custom" piece anyway. Why not do the taper, maybe trapazoid style with greater taper towards the legs and wider at the shoulders, but still football shape.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Pancakes are flat ...

but the underside of a hammock isn't. My early attempts at underquilts consisted of hacking up old cheap synthetic sleeping bags - rounding corners, narrowing one end, adding darts all the way around. My attempts weren't wildly successful, but I think that was because the quilts were heavy, which made suspending them tricky, and I also made some of them too small (trying to cut down the weight). Before I "solved the problem" I moved on to insulated hammocks. Later I covered some of the same (not flat) territory making my fitted, insulated hammock sock for winter camping. That time it worked, but it was a geometric obstacle course.

I think the reason so many quilts are rectangular and flat is that with the proper materials (down) they're light and flexible enough that they work. I learned that when I got a No Snivveller. Still, the perfect underquilt ....

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The human torso is more rectangle than football. To get the quilt to fit "most" people a rectangle does the trick.

A football shape would need to be longer at the ends to accomadate shoulder/hip width and then taper out to a point. This tapering allows for the main body of the quilt to sag. To eliminate the sagging issue, a lot of darts would be needed, which makes construction more complicated.
    For the best overall fit and warmth and practical use of fabric/insulation the rectangle wins.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'll also add that the long skinny ends will be more difficult to keep the quilt in place. As you move the tendency will be for the "football" quilt to shift itself free of the hammock.
    The square/rect. quilt gives a wider supension point(s), making it less likely to shift.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I'll also add that the long skinny ends will be more difficult to keep the quilt in place. As you move the tendency will be for the "football" quilt to shift itself free of the hammock.
    The square/rect. quilt gives a wider supension point(s), making it less likely to shift.
    I didn't think you'd take me quite so literally.

What I have in mind might better be described as the difference between a rectangular sb and a mummy bag. Take that football, chop the pointy ends off, and maybe let the head/shoulder end be a bit wider than the foot end.

We need to get together...I'll bring scissors.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    You are right, if it gets too narrow those problems would occur. The OP was on the right track but football shape may not be the best description. Trapezoid or tapered shape without being extreme works. It leaves the length for the shoulders but reduces the amount of bunching up that occurs on the foot end on rectangular quilts. Rectangular UQ's can leave a cavity for cold air on the foot end where the quilt bunches up. After you adjust the end shock cord it is not uncommon for a rectangular UQ to narrow by 10" on the foot end. So why not plan for some loss in width so that you can seal against the hammock better without the small pocket to catch cold air. If you look at a tapered or trapezoid UQ on a hammock it will be hard to tell their shape but they are sealed against the hammock better. Best way to verify this is to have someone lay in your hammock and measure the amount of UQ that is being used across the foot end. It will be considerably shorter than the width of the UQ when laid out flat.

One of the most popular vendors of UQ's uses a tapered shape and I am biased because I know a vendor that uses a trapezoid shape They are harder to make than a rectangular UQ but worth the effort IMO.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My cornbread is round because I cook it in a cast iron skillet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast