Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Pi are round, Cornbread are.. wait a minute...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Rectangular quilts allow for "opening the windows", ie leaving the ends uncinched which then forms a diminishing cones under the head and neck and feet and lower legs for cooling on warmer nights, yet maintaining a warm body core, for vital organ comfort.

These and other seasonal tricks in the "Nesting Tricks of an Old Coot" article.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    ...but why are under quilts? Okay, rectangular. Then we put a drawstring in each end and cinch 'em down so they're kinda football shaped. So my question:

Is there a reason why they aren't cut to resemble a football to start with, instead of a loaf of bread? Seems like a fair bit of fabric/insulation/weight could be eliminated.
    Great question OG.

Most commercially made hammocks start out as rectangles before the gathered end is formed. As you know, the pocket that the hammock user sleeps in is created by all of those folds and "furrows" (as they were referred to in another thread) that form as a result of the all that fabric tapering to each end. All of that furrowing and unfurrowing fabric is what makes the ever changing livable space that we are able to move around in. You can see why it is done this way if you think about what the results would be if you decided to make a hammock out of a piece of fabric that was radically tapered along the sides...

When I first started making quilts, I tried fitting the them to hammocks by tapering the sides. I quickly found out that it created sides that were too floppy. Especially in the full length under quilts. I also noticed that the standard hammock did not have any pleats or darts along the long edges, that all of the shaping was done from the end which can be seen in all of the furrows and folds visible in gathered end hammocks.

So, for quite some time now, all Hammock Gear quilts START OUT rectangular when I cut them, but that is only so I can shape them from the inside. Using full length pleats that are only end to end (like a gathered end hammock), I shape them to not only fit the fundamental shape of the hammock body itself, but also to fit a wide variety of users.

Also, the design is not heavily tapered. This is so that, as Pan mentioned above, people have the option to open up the end channels for ventilation purposes. It also, as Gargoyle mentioned, helps keep the quilt from slipping off in the middle of the night.

I hope this post did not sound too "it slices it dices". If it did, my apologies. That was not the intent. I am not a great salesman, I am just proud of my design...

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Thumbs up

Wouldn't it be great if the big companies would share their thinking about their products (not just ad hype) the way our cottage vendors do?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

....the first down underquilt I ever saw

this pic lifted off JustJeff's page....it's the first down UQ I ever saw years ago...his trail name was/is CanoeBlue. I tried to buy it, he told me to make my own.
    It is the football shape with the points cut off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Isn't it better to have a bigger foot end so when you shift from one angle to another your still covered??? I sometime change angles in the middle of the night. I move alot.
    "No whining in the woods"

I've been playing with tie-out on the bottom of my hammock for my UQ. All of the UQs I've seen have ingenious methods of adjusting to different sized hammocks and hammockers. I think there is room for improvement, however, for the DIYers looking to make an UQ just for themselves in their favorite hammock. A tapered UQ is a very good idea.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I don't make quits but I make pads to keep me warm. Most folks do not need much of anything above the neck as that is where the pillow comes in. If they do anything there the want a warm arm curled under their head. One dictates a wide top above the head, the other at the neck then cut off. Similar issue at the knees. Side sleepers often want to pull their knees up. One also needs to insulate the sides high enough so the wrap area is warm.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    The human torso is more rectangle than football. To get the quilt to fit "most" people a rectangle does the trick.
    I suspect I'll be looking for a pumpkin pattern soon.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast