Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    My old faithful HH Explorer UL with Super Shelter. Had no idea how to hang it much less how to make that SS work, and had a pretty miserable 1st night, swearing to never sleep in a hammock again. But the night after that was A-OK, and each of the next several nights better still. I have many hammocks now. It may not be my all time favorite of any I have tried, but it is still an overall winner for me. I have slept some profoundly deep hammock/wilderness sleeps in it!

After that came a Speer hammock and Pea Pod, then a Claytor No Net and Pea Pod, and somewhere around then came a BMBH and later an MW$ to go with it.

I can say some good things about all of those, and all have some minor ( to me ) negatives. They all beat the heck out of the ground and some beds!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-08-2012 at 13:36.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    In the early 70's I tried a nylon string met hammock while on the AT. Most uncomfortable with the nylong cutting into my skin. Jump forward to a few years ago and I got a WBBB for my wife and myself.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

In 1989 or so when I was still in high school, I had a net hammock that I took on a couple camping trips just to relax in, but the thing was so uncomfortable that I didn't continue using it and pretty much wrote off hammocks as uncomfortable based on that. A couple years later a roommate had a net with spreader bars set up in the back yard that was also terrible.

I'd pretty much forgotten those when I started looking for a hammock for lounging recently and my internet searches brought me here and a couple other sites with DIY instructions. After reading, I started thinking hammocks might actually be a liveable alternative to taking a heavy tent, ground tarp, sleeping pad etc and sleeping on the hard, buggy uneven ground.

I've never liked that I didn't understand sewing machines, so I gave it a shot. It took about 8 hours to hem 4 straight sides of the 5x10 ripstop, but I got it and I've been getting better(?) at it since.

I realized immediately that I was going to need a bug net(I had a swarm of mosquitoes around me before I had it set up for the first time), so I sewed one from a military surplus bug net. And yesterday I sewed up a peak bag.

Now I'm interested in seeing first hand some other setups to see if there is something I'd like better than what I've made.

I also realized on my first hang that some under-insulation is going to be required for cooler months, so I'm thinking about what I want in that department.

A fabric hammock is so much more comfortable than a net. A world of difference. I'm really glad I'd forgotten those and took another look at hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl. & hk2001
    Tarp
    MLD cuben, WB Edge
    Insulation
    yeti, crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies, bulltape
    Yeah I had a rope hammock on 1989 too.. certainly you couldn't sleep in it. Then in 2006 I bought an ENO double, loved it! So small, so ready to go. One night in Utah in 2009 and I was hooked on hammocks forever. I still like tents, sometimes they are a better option, but I prefer hammocks.
    Tonight I'm howlin' at a foreign moon, might as well be a junkie's spoon.

John Hiatt

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Besides the rope hammock we had as a kid, my first camping hammock was a Byer of Maine Amazona Mosquito Hammock. I used the rain fly from a Eureka Timberline tent. After that, I never looked back. Been swinging ever since.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    My first hammock was a DIY job I made from nylon string that I had seen in the SAS survival handbook. It was awful but worked

That was 20 years ago, I think it may have started something.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    I went cheap, GT Skeeter Beeter UL $20 shipped. Handed down to my wife shortly thereafter and still in use today!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    A $5 nylon rope backyard hammock I got at Wal-Mart. It wasn't great and the only way I could get semi-comfortable was to let my feet hang out either side.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    My first hammock was a WBBB 1.0 DL original, not the China pop ones. Since then I have bought several other hammock brands, all of which I am not going to list, and now I am rockin' a PSDB single.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Images

This was my first hammock. Don't know the make, but I got it at Wally World about 10 years ago. I still have it and it gets used once in a long while.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast