DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I am still fairly new to Hammocking but I found that polyester/polypropylene webbing does much better than nylon. It doesn't have the stretch memory like nylon does and doesn't degrade as bad with UV rays. I decided to just by Poly webbing off of Amazon instead of paying extra for the same material from outdoor suppliers. It's the exact same material.
    Here is the link to what I bought. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    10yards=30ft for $9 and free shipping..Can't beat that.

Grab yourself a few O-rings(repel rings) from REI.com and there ya go.. You have a suspension system. You can fold the straps over on one end and stitch a few rectangular boxes with and X inside to create a loop at one end.

Or you could just forget the Rings and run down to your local Marina Shop and buy some Amsteel and make a few whoopie slings and use the Marlin Spike setup with the straps.

Its working great for me so far and I have saved so much money by making the stuff myself. I got a good deal on the Amsteel by going to my local West Marine Store. When I told the guy at the store that I was going to make a whoopie sling out of it, he kind of had a blank stare. He replied, "you mean your going to splice the line?"

Now I am torn between using the full straps with double O-rings or the combo whoopie sling and Marlin Spike. Whoopie is lighter but the straps will let me hang in smaller tree distances. Ill figure it out tomorrow. Anyways I have rambled enough.

Hope any of this rambling helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    +1 on the Kammok Python Straps. They have plenty of length and 18 daisy chain loops that make set up a breeze. It's a great little strap, especially for those just starting with hammock camping.

More and more, when I send friends out with hammocks, I prefer to give them the Python Straps because it doesn't confuse them. No Whoopie to milk, no buckle to thread, just clip and go.

+2 on the Kammok Python Straps. I've been using these for the last couple of months of love them. THey couldnt be easier. Havent noticed any stretching at all.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Those Kammok Python Straps are a neat option and easy to use too.

But, you can just buy two 8 or 10 foot lengths of "mil spec" one-inch poly climbing strap at your local rei or outfitters store, or from HF vendors; then tie a water knot into one end (or both ends). Use a marlin-spike (way easy to learn) on the strap wherever you need it, and then attach your hammock suspension to that.

I know that everyone on HF (mostly) uses a toggle with their marlin spike, but a carabiner works too and you can just attach your hammock suspension to that carabiner instead of trying to remember, " on the Knot, Not on the toggle"

anyway-hang your own hang and best of luck with what ever you choose. I may just buy some of those Python straps too - nice and easy to use!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

In browsing this topic, it seems people are using polyester and polypropylene almost interchangeably. I'm avoiding nylon due to stretching but unsure which material to choose. Also, is the feeling that 1 inch is wide enough for tree protection?

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have python straps and love them. they are easy and very versitile

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I also have an ENO DN with the stock carabiners and the Kammok Python Straps...I definitely recommend the Kammok Python Straps...lots of adjustment and easy to use...just hook the carabiners to one of the loops on the strap.

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    My only concern with the Python Straps is they're only 3/4" wide, so I worry about the possibility of damage to the tree. Does anybody else share my concern?

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Whoopie slings would work but use a temporary harbor freight cargo straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I love the Warbonnett straps and buckles. I remove the strap from the buckles at tear down and pack in a ziplok bag inside the stuff sack to protect the hammock from sap and or dirt. To hang I pass the end of the strap through the loop and then into the buckles...eliminates all hardware and is dead simple. Going to be switching my Hennessy to the same system.

Whoopies seem to just add points of failure to me as they need to be joined to the strap...just use the strap.
    +1 on the WarBonnet straps and buckles. NOT heavy, super strong, EASILY adjusted, and quickly as well. These should do you a great job anywhere in the world, and don't worry about anything else.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by rda22 View Post
    In browsing this topic, it seems people are using polyester and polypropylene almost interchangeably. I'm avoiding nylon due to stretching but unsure which material to choose. Also, is the feeling that 1 inch is wide enough for tree protection?
    Polyester and polypropylene are not the same and should not be thought of as totally interchangeable. Just the same as nylon should not be either.

Polyester does not stretch, nylon does,but it has memory and will return back to its original length (at least very close to). The nylon will then stretch again with each use....over and over again. Polypropylene will also stretch the first few uses but does not have memory to pull it back shorter. The problem lies in that the polypropylene will have lost a lot of strength in stretching out and is there for weaker without the ability to stretch and absorb the load you put on it. Hence it has a greater likelihood of failing as time goes by.

The best choose is a high quality polyester that is rated and tested to at least 1000 pound working loads. The lightest of these grade polyester webbings are available from a couple of us vendors herein the forum.

On your second question, 1" is considered to be the standard and safest size for tree straps. Some folks do go to larger but the general consensus is that smaller can potentially cause damage and not spread the load out enough.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast