Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Strap Advice for a Newbie

Hey all,

I recently purchased a ENO double wide hammock and am loving it. So far, I have been using rope and knots to hang my hammock and am ready to get some sort of hanging kit. I was looking at the ENO SlapStrap and the Kammok Python Straps. Any thoughts on these? I do mainly car camping but will most likely be taking everything traveling with me through India so would like it to be easy, have variable distance options, and hopefully lightweight. I would appreciate any advice on either of these two options or any other options that you would recommend. Thanks!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Stay away from slap straps... They stretch although they are supposedly coming out with new ones... Cheapest option is ratchet straps from wall mart or even cheaper from harbor freight or something like that... There are a million posts with this same question, just wander around and read what others have asked...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Second the cheap tow straps from WM of HF. You want to look for poly straps rather than nylon as the nylon straps will stretch.

If you don't have a camping trip coming up really soon, I'd get some whoopie loops instead, and skip straps altogether. I went the cheap ratchet strap route when I was running short on time my first hanging trip, but I just bought some whoopie's from arrowhead. Rachet straps will work, but they're heavy and you will most likely want something else. Buying whoopie loops cost about as much as cheap ratchet straps, with the added bonus of not needing to upgrade.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carsona246 View Post
    If you don't have a camping trip coming up really soon, I'd get some whoopie loops instead, and skip straps altogether. I went the cheap ratchet strap route when I was running short on time my first hanging trip, but I just bought some whoopie's from arrowhead. Rachet straps will work, but they're heavy and you will most likely want something else. Buying whoopie loops cost about as much as cheap ratchet straps, with the added bonus of not needing to upgrade.
    Whoopie Slings are great as part of the suspension, but you need to use straps around the trees to protect the trees.
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

I am going to use rachet straps and tree huggers on my first trip in 2 weeks but after that I am going to get me some whoopie setup. For sure cause it is less weight and space.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    I have all three, but since I don't have to hump it around, I'm kind of digging the Kammock Python straps. If you want dead easy and relatively light (not whoopie light, but not bad) these are great. You'll need a couple of light climbing rated carabiners to attach the hammock to the straps.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I love the Warbonnett straps and buckles. I remove the strap from the buckles at tear down and pack in a ziplok bag inside the stuff sack to protect the hammock from sap and or dirt. To hang I pass the end of the strap through the loop and then into the buckles...eliminates all hardware and is dead simple. Going to be switching my Hennessy to the same system.

Whoopies seem to just add points of failure to me as they need to be joined to the strap...just use the strap.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    +1 on the Kammok Python Straps. They have plenty of length and 18 daisy chain loops that make set up a breeze. It's a great little strap, especially for those just starting with hammock camping.

More and more, when I send friends out with hammocks, I prefer to give them the Python Straps because it doesn't confuse them. No Whoopie to milk, no buckle to thread, just clip and go.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    These python straps sound intriguing...my wife is totally knot impaired!

Off to research!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast