Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

How to Lose 20 pounds in 3 days..or My Hike on the AT

I was suppose to to have gone hiking on the AT the beginning of June. I had planned to start at Springer Mt (last time I had been there was 30 years ago in 1982) and hike as far north as I could in a week. I had delusions of being able to hike as far as the GA NC border. I always like to set high goals as it motivates me to try and achieve said goal. Some times it works,,,some times it doesn't....must be the Marine in me.

Had my gear packed and ready to go but my vacation got canceled at the last minute. Then with just a few days advance notice I was told I was taking my vacation starting 4th July.

So I repacked my gear and and as soon as I got off of work Tuesday night, I took off.

Did a quick check of the weather for the GA AT area and the only thing I noticed was a chance of rain; I missed the part about the heat wave.

Met up with Sally Smith and Joyce Monroe just outside Hiawassee GA (706-896-9339) who provide shuttle service for hikers in the area, They gave me a ride down to Amicalola Falls Park where I started my hike. Highly recommend them for anyone needing a shuttle ride in the area. I started the approach trail about 1pm and slowly made my way up the trail. At one point it started raining which was a relief as it cooled things off. After 4 hours of hiking and sweating I estimated I was only making about 1 mile an hour due to the steepness of the trail and the heat. One youngster did pass me like I was standing still. Found a suitable camp site along the trail and set up my hammock for the night. Checked my H2O supply ( 2 1L bottles and a 3L Cammelbak ) and found I had gone thru half my water. Opened up some gorp for dinner but found I had no appetite. Went to sleep in a manner of minutes and slept the night thru. Did not hear the fireworks other hikers said they heard. Main reason I got up the next AM was to answer natures call.

Packed up and was under way by 7am. Came across several groups of uneducated campers using tents. They asked what kind of tent I was using and I told them I use a hammock. One of them made the comment that tents were better as you could not always find trees. I looked around at all the trees surrounding us and agreed that it might be a problem.

Came across the first spring and loaded up with water and continued to drink it like it was going out of style. That Cammelbak made it easy to drink on the hike. Got to the the Black Gap Shelter about 10am, set up my hammock and took a several hour nap. I found the local spring which was way way way down hill. Almost more trouble than it was worth.

I then packed up and started up the trail again. I knew I was getting close to the top as I asked a couple of folks coming back down how much further. The heat finally got to me and I found two trees beside the trail and set up my hammock and climbed in. If the trees had been any closer to the trail I would have been blocking it. After a couple of hours I felt better and I resumed my hike. Got to the top 15 minutes latter. Took some pictures of the Spring Mt plaques and the view. This was the first view of the Mountains I had seen so far.

Hiked to the Springer Mt shelter and did not did see anyone there; set up my hammock and decided I had had a mild case of heat exhaustion. Not a happy thought. The shelter log book indicated that bears had been active in the area over the past few days and one hiker complained about bears getting her food. I used the bear cables and suspended my whole pack just in case,.

A few minutes later a young hiker came by asking about water sources. I showed him my list of water sources for the next 60 miles and he made a copy. A little bit later 2 other hikers show up with their dogs. Offered me a beer. Somehow a warm beer just did not sound good. They told me that when they left Amicalola that AM, a female hiker was starting the trail with a 60 lb pack. Hope she did OK.

So far all I had been able to eat all day was about 5 fig newtons and some jerky

The spring at Springer was so low it was not worth the trouble to try and get any water out it.

It was hot enough (7pm and 82 degrees) that I shoved my UQ to one side of the hammock. Some time during the night I did have to pull it back under the hammock.. Once again I was asleep in minutes.

Woke up early and packed up was on the trail by 7am. Felt good but not hungry. Not a good sign. Told myself that when I made the next shelter I would stop and make breakfast. Was happy to see the trail was mostly downhill. Each time I came across the Benton McKay trail I kept looking for Sgt Rock to pop out with his cuben hammock. I think he had more sense and stayed home as I did not see him. Also kept hearing a buzzing sound around my pack but could not figure out what it was. Next time I set up my hammock I found a Bumblebee had gotten inside the hammock when I packed it into the stuff bag.

At the first road crossing after Springer Mt there was a car with the back window busted out.. I later learned that bear(s) had broken into the car several times.

Took a short break to refill my water at Stover Creek and wash up. That cold water felt good.

Made it to the Stover Creek Shelter in good time. Found a hiker there who said he was from Texas who was packing up to start his days hike. We talked for a while and I tried to convert him to the dark side. He asked how was I treating my water and I told him with bleach. He liked the idea that my little squeeze bottle of bleach could treat a lot water. He showed me his filter system which was nice as it has a pump for those shallow springs. The only drawback I saw was it was rather bulky.

Made use of the privy at the shelter, a real treat.

Made a hot breakfast and tried to eat but could not force my self to eat anything.

Got back on the trail and hiked thru some beautiful Rhododendron which were flowering..

Got to Three Forks about 10am and found my self exhausted again. Filled up my water bottles and set up the hammock close to the river and took a nap for several hours. Got up and started for the next shelter where I planned to spend the night. Was doing OK until I got to the first up hill and my legs quit on me. I hated to do it but decided the trail was not going anywhere so I turned around and hiked back to Three Forks where I caught a ride back to civilization and a hotel with a very nice family ( I did not get their names but I wish to thank them once again for the ride )

Just got home a little while ago and when I checked my weight I found I had lost close to 20 lbs (almost 14% body weight) even with forcing my self to eat 3 meals and several sodas on the way home. ( Rev... I stopped at a BBQ place called Maurice's outside of Columbia SC and had some mustard sauce base pork BBQ. The mustard sauce was good but the pork was very dry)

Distance wise I hiked less than 15 miles. Not very good. But I survived the trip. Everyone one I met on the trail was very friendly and seemed to be having a good time.

Lessons learned.
    …..Don't hike when it is so damm hot.
    …..Having that hammock was a life saver as I could set it up fast and get in it to lie down and rest in under 2 minutes. Try that with a tent
    …..I did stay well hydrated as the Cammelbak made it easy to take sips of water on a regular basis ( pinch the skin on the back of your hand, if you are dehydrated the skin will stay “pinched” after you let go)
    …..Food Gels might have worked better for food in the heat, will have to play around with them.
    …..Will be going thru my pack and checking all my gear to decide if the weight justified the amount of use. I was at 30lbs with food for several days plus water. I already know I can reduce my load.
    …..Making plans to go again.

Naturally I am disappointed about how little I actually hiked but glad I got thru it OK and now I get to start planning for the next hike. While I am glad I lost some weight (and hope to keep it off), this is not a weight loss method I would recommend. Do I regret going...no.. Glad I was able to spend some time in the woods.

I did get some pictures and have posted them on .... photbucket
    I was surprised I was able to hold the camera steady enough for any of them to come out.

Hammock gear I used...
    WWBB 1.7 double
    BMJ tarp
    Arrowhead Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Arrowhead Owyhee 1S TQ

I did not see any other hangers out there but a couple of hikers claim they have seen hangers on the trail.
    Last edited by gunner76; 07-08-2012 at 13:35.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    30 for several days... My hero but i guess if i left off fire stuff I could do it... That 30 lbs includes the water weight I assume?

I agree with you on the camelbak helping you stay hydrated... I find taking sips periodically is better for me then gulping half a quart in one shot... And seeing the mouthpiece bounce around is a reminder that i need to drink something...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Gunner: Thanks for the report. Sounds tough!! Good, honest self-assessing is very valuable!! Hope to see you on the trail one day. When I first read the title of your thread, I thought you lost your pack!!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I first read the title of your thread, I thought you lost your pack!!!!
    The hike might have gone better with no pack. This was a hike when slack packing would have been a better choice

30 lbs includes the water weight
    30 lbs plus H20. First time I have used a cammelback and it turned out to be a lifesaver as it made drinking water while on the move easy. Well worth the extra weight.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Nice report. It takes me back 5 months when I was hiking that. Hopefully I'll be back there in eight months. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    that car has been there since February and the Hiker "Flash" is missing....

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/M...ersonsDatabase
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Congratulations gunner76. You hiked, gained experience, tested your equipment, and talked with some interesting people. Thanks for sharing with HF

Nice write-up by the way.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    gained experience
    just wished I had not gained so much experience in such a short time

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like you were out of sorts. That's a lot of weight to lose in three days and 15 miles.

I invariably gain weight on the trail. I generally don't use salt for cooking, don't eat processed foods (canned, frozen, freeze-dried, etc.), and the only time I ever eat dehydrated foods is while hiking.

On a three-day hike (my usual distance), I gain about seven lbs., though I've gained up to 10 on four or five-day hikes. I guess my body just doesn't tolerate the trail diet very well because of the high sodium in dehydrated meals & fruits, trail mix, jerky, etc.

I usually lose the weight within three or four days, so it appears to be water retention due to the sodium.

Hope you keep that weight off - it's hard to lose 20 lbs. so that's a real positive from your trip.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Gunner thx for the report. Wow! A lot of weight to loose in 3 days.

Would be interested what you decide to get rid of out of your pack & why.

It sure was hot! Have worked up a good sweat in cool weather. I've walked up from the visiors center & we have also driven up to the falls

Food & hydration is very important prior & during. Glad u had the camelbak with u! In heat like we been having I've thrown a pedialyte ice pop in my pack. Have also heard good things about emergn-c.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast