Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I think the WBBB 1.7 looks like a dream. Can't decide on single or double layer though and don't have the money for it anyway!

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    DangerBird 72.

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    Forgive me for being a noob about all things relating to hammocks, but this thread caught my eye because of my inexperience. I was looking forward to the choices of more sage advisor/hangers as I wondered, "Why would you have more than one, anyway?"

I can understand if, like me, you bought the first budget hammock that came along, just to try out hanging around. Then, when I've decided that this method of camping/sleeping will work out for me, I'll upgrade to something much more serviceable. In addition to the different models and styles of hammocks that seem to have been created, I wondered, once you've found your best choice, why you would dump the rest?

I guess it's kinda like motorcycles, since I can only ride one at a time, my wife has pretty much rejected my idea that I need to have another...

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    I think it's very easy to understand why many of us own more than one hammock. Your analysis is quite close for me. I bought a big lots cheapo. Then an ENO DN which still gets used for lounging. Then a bridge because I thought I could only sleep on my stomach. With a little more experience I realized I could sleep on my side or back and then wanted more room and interior storage. Enter the blackbird, which I love.

Fortunately, with hammocks, owning more than one in not a heavy financial burden. Like say recumbents, motorcycles, and sailboats all of which I own more than one of. I have my spares to turn friends onto hanging. Because they are rather inexpensive even compared to tents I see no reason to sell my spares.

Asking people to share their experience and pick the one they would keep gives me ideas for other hammocks I might like to try.

When I was buying my first hammocks I looked at the signatures of posters and saw which hammocks were very popular but didn't understand why the user had evolved to that specific model. I asked why for that very reason. I am enjoying the new ideas and logic behind the choices I will probably be inspired to buy at least one more from the input...

Thanks to those who have contributed so far.

Andy
    Last edited by Full_timer; 07-09-2012 at 14:45.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    What: Clark NX-200
    Why: What I do is more paddle camping than backpacking, so the fact that it weighs a bit more isn't really a bother. Due to my need for weight capacity, need a bigger set up anyway. Bug proof bottom without having to resort to chemicals is nice, pockets giving me easy (mean, reach out into the bug infested darkness for a pee bottle, which isn't something I have to fight inside the hammock, etc) access to stuff as well as built in insulation is awesome. Removable bug net without having a ridgeline in the back of my head if I use it as a seat.

Edit: And the weather shield is nice, keeping things a bit warmer when needed, yet fully zips off when not.
    Last edited by Manchego; 07-09-2012 at 10:26.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 w/footbox and zip bugnet
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    So far for me it would be my DL WBBB inspired DIY. It was my 4th DIY. It's got a full zip in bug net with zippers down both sides so I can tie it up out of the way in the winter. It's a bit bigger than my others. I love the foot box and the double layer is awesome in the winter as I can slip a reflectix pad under my lower back on really cold nights and it doesnt move.
    Saying all that I've only ever slept in one commercial hammock ( Hennessy expedition Asym zip).
    Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. ~Author Unknown
    I seem to have lots of experience for my age

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Why would you limit me to just one hammock?!

My favorite and if only one Clark TX 250. Because it is the cadillac of hammocks. It has everything you could want and does everything you could want.

That being said, I have 11 different hammocks. Why? Because I read all the great reviews here and wanted to see for myself which one was the best. I ahve kept them all because I liked them all and use them all. They are all great hammocks, but If I had to get rid of all but one..........See first comments.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If I had to pick right now, it would be the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 single layer. Very comfortable, easy to set up, I like the shelf, and a great weight for the features. And also b/c it fits the Yetis well.

I have different hammocks b/c my trips have different requirements. In winter, I'll often take one without a bug net and save the weight. Or my insulated hammock to save the weight of an UQ suspension system and a fabric layer on the UQ. On other trips, weight is a big issue, so I take the lightest hammock to meet the job, like the Warbonnet El Dorado...no shelf, lighter than the WBBB, but still comfortable.

Other times, it's b/c I'm outfitting 4 people for the trip...summer or winter. Or at least that's the excuse I keep using to buy more gear!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Bottom entry HH cause I can't get out of a top or side loader. Mobility issues.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast