Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

WBBB 1.1 dl

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double layer lefty.

Light enough to hike,

I have trouble keeping my quilt in the hammock without the netting,

Double layer gives the option on using CCF pads for insulation,

The shelf is very convenient.

But I am not limited to one hammock
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single.

I've had Hennessy with zipper, WB Traveler, WB Blackbird 1.1 Double, and several homemade hammocks without netting. But the Blackbird single is my favorite. It's light, I always use the netting even in winter. (Helps keep stuff in hammock.) The wing pocket is my favorite feature and keeps me coming back to it.

I sold the double layer Blackbird because I don't mind just throwing the pad down and putting sleeping bag on top of it. I don't get the condensation that others talk about and I wanted to get rid of the weight of the 2nd layer for backpacking.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    dangerbird 72

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    After having slept numerous nights in both HH Exepedition zip and a WWBB 1.1 Dbl. I think I will be going back to my HH just cant seem to get comfy in the WBBB.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    What: Clark NX-200
    Why: What I do is more paddle camping than backpacking, so the fact that it weighs a bit more isn't really a bother. Due to my need for weight capacity, need a bigger set up anyway. Bug proof bottom without having to resort to chemicals is nice, pockets giving me easy (mean, reach out into the bug infested darkness for a pee bottle, which isn't something I have to fight inside the hammock, etc) access to stuff as well as built in insulation is awesome. Removable bug net without having a ridgeline in the back of my head if I use it as a seat.

Edit: And the weather shield is nice, keeping things a bit warmer when needed, yet fully zips off when not.
    don't forget the peace of mind know your sleeping in the Rolls Royce of hammocks! it gives me peace of mind knowing that I have a work of art cradling me to sleep

Hammock
    SBPro GTUL
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Leighlo 30*
    Suspension
    Linelocker/Rings
    After this last weekend it has to be my JOGR Stove I got from Amazon. Instant hot water and heated food immediatly. Best $16 including shipping I have spent!

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    WBBB 1.7 SL is my goto hammock very comfortable.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    The first hammock I bought was the Clark NX-250. It is now and will most likely be, my only hammock. I have tried quite a variety of other hammocks, and the more I try, the more satisfied I am with my Clark.

This is highly unusual for me, as I'm always looking for "something better", no matter what I'm doing; I have a bunch of stoves, more guns than should be mentioned, virtually everything I do I end up with several different kinds, except for my hammock. Someday I may get a cheapie loungeing hammock just for fun, but for camping, I am more than happy with my good old Clark. And the heck with whatever extra ounces everyone always seem to complain about.

All the answers are good for whomever posted them; we all love our special hammocks. I'm not sure we helped you a lot, but one thing you can know from this, nearly any one of them will work great. Have fun, get one and GET OUT THERE!!!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    This is one of the most informative threads I've read yet. Many of the other conversations, from a noob point of view, gets so technical, they become overwhelming, trying to sort out what's being said decoding the acromyms and terminology. This was interesting and a good read. Thanx

Images
    I have never tried a Clark or PapaSmurf Dangerbird. But I have or have had most of the other most popular ones. I have, after several years of using all of those I have never really been able to definitely choose one as the hands down fav over all the rest, so I'm never much help in a discussion like this.

As soon as I have decided I have settled down to one favorite, seems like a few months later I am rethinking it. Plus, my choice often depends on what insulation I am feeling preferential to. A particular insulation may work better or even only with a particular hammock.

I go from one to the other in the backyard or on day hikes or car camps. But when it comes time for a trip backpacking trip, it is always really hard to decide on what hammock/insulation combo to take. Part of the hard decision is weight vs comfort/convenience/weather proofing/tarp considerations. But really, there are several very good choices all of which get the job done fine and dandy.

Do I actually have a favorite based on what I end up ( after much brain strain) choosing for my backpacking trips? Maybe/kind of.

The first 2 week long hammocking trips to the western mountains ( one year apart) were simply using my first setup, the HH Explorer UL bottom entry plus an HH Super Shelter. That was in fall 06 and I got it because I didn't know any better, did not know of any other choices. This system still works fine for me and is still pretty darn comfy. If it was all I had, I'd still be plenty happy with it. Biggest selling point: lot's of extra built in wind and water protection with the HHSS's undercover - even when using that tiny HH tarp with just 2 stakes - all as part of the system weight and price. This bomb proof simplicity appeals to me. Plus the hammock may not be the most comfy in all positions, but it has proven plenty comfy in several positions for me, so good enough. I don't even mind the bottom entry, got really used to it. Once in a while I still consider reverting back to this original starter system.

On my next two week long western trips, after going back and forth a whole bunch, I settled on my Claytor No Net. Which is not all that heavy compared to my 1.7 Black Bird or JRB Bridge, though it is double layer. It is very near the top for overall comfort, but saves me maybe 8 or 10 oz, and I can still use a pad in the pad pocket if it all hits the fan. But probably the main reason I settled on that hammock was because right before the final pack up, I decided "Nope, I want to take my Speer Pea Pod!". And that hammock works better for me with the Pea Pod quilt than any other hammock I have.

On both of those trips, I had one night on the first trip and one night kind of on the 2nd trip where I thought: "why didn't I just bring my JRB BMBH like I started to?". I had one bad night ( the last night ) on the 1st trip where I just could not get my legs right, could not get comfortable. I guess I went to bed with something out of adjustment. I made some adjustments during the snowy night but just never could get it right on this one night out of the week. When it happened one night ( same exact leg weirdness) on the 2nd trip, I seemed to get things back to OK by getting out in the middle of the night and raising the foot end quite a bit higher on the tree, but it messed me up for a few hours.

But on both of those nights I recall thinking: "I have never had any leg discomfort with the JRB Bridge hammock, not ever for even a minute". And my MW under quilts are definitely one of the very best, fool proof combos used with that hammock. I have taken this combo on a few shorter trips here in the east and it has always worked just perfectly. There is a lack of shoulder room but this has got to where it does not bother me and certainly does not interfere with my sleeping. And there is never any hint of leg discomfort or side "hitch" when side sleeping, which I do a lot of with this hammock. Plus, if I ever was to need to augment with a pad, this is my hands down/no contest choice of hammocks to use with a pad. So maybe this ought to be the one I would have if I could only pick one? Maybe.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-10-2012 at 12:17.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast