Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Colorado "River Hang" (Colorado Summer Hang, 6-8 July 2012, Kelly Dahl Campground)

Great time at the 2012 Colorado River Hang...eh...I mean Summer Hang!

I got up there Friday night and set up in a light drizzle (but nothing major) before chatting with Food (****), OutandBack (Bob), TrailRyder42 (Derek), ice man (Frank) and Jimmy (sorry...didn't catch the forum name but I'll edit it in later), and heading to dinner at the Sundance just south of the campground. Since we couldn't have fires due to the ban (although I'm pretty sure nothing was going to catch fire this time), we just hung out at the Sundance for a while and chatted under OutandBack's tarp...then went to bed pretty early. It drizzled until around midnight, giving us a peaceful pitter-patter to keep us sleeping all night.

Saturday brought a great pancake breakfast thanks to Food, OutandBack and Derek...hash browns, bacon, sausage, and Village Inn pancake batter that we cooked up fresh and hot. (And Jimmy's dog got a few pieces of bacon...)

This was Frank's first good rain in a hammock, and the water ran down his supports and underquilt lines, soaking his underquilt. And he didn't seal the pull-outs on the Warbonnet tarp, so his top quilt got wet, too. He was ready to drive back to Iowa after breakfast. We had some dry gear for him but he said he lost his enthusiasm...understandable, given a miserably wet night. So he started the drive home shortly after breakfast. Don't give up, Frank!

A few others showed up to take his place, though - MustardMan (James), MrsMustardMan (Amy), Slowanderer (Ed) from Colorado Springs and Desert Reprobate (Bob) from California.

Late Saturday morning, we all tried to hike to Blue Lake...but only got as far as the river crossing just past Mitchell Lake. The bridge was two side-by-side logs over the river, and the water was flowing over the top of it. We probably could have crossed safely, but it was after 1pm and we thought a storm would come in and make it unsafe to cross back to the cars. So we went down to Brainerd Lake for a picnic...and that storm began rolling in!

The drive back to the campground pummeled us with rain and hail, and even washed some small rockslides into the road! We have some video of it that others will post...it was bad enough that lots of folks were pulled off the road waiting for it to pass. Not us, though...

Then we got back to the campground and Food said it had only drizzled a bit...not even real rain. But that would change soon! I laid down in the hammock for a little nap and woke up to some pretty pleasant raindrops on the tarp. Then it got harder. And harder...so of course I had to start getting pictures. And here's how that ended up!

The hard rain stopped, but it drizzled all night. All 9 of us had dinner in Nederland (with a few beers for good measure), then back to the campground for a little chatting and another early night. The rain didn't keep anybody awake or wet their gear, so we were all comfortable and warm. (At least nobody would admit to being wet and cold Sunday!)

I left about 8am Sunday morning...some folks were going to try the road to Left Hand Reservoir and fish, so I'll let them tell the story. OutandBack won't be able to update that until Thursday.

All in all, a great trip despite (or because of) the weather! Definitely ready to have at it again, and I'd like to fish Blue Lake when it's not so stormy.

Some more pics from the trip:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i guess you didn't have to go far to filter water...
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    That water was moving pretty good some serious runoff. cool video

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Some more pictures to come, but since Jeff started us out on a weather-related theme, here's some lovely Hail. We hit this on the way back from the Blue Lake hike, where we turned back at the flooded bridge worrying that it might flood even worse if a storm hit. I'd say that was a wise decision.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Proof that we actually had some nice weather too:

A full album of all the pics I took (and cared to share) is here:

http://imgur.com/a/x829D#0

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Wow... that was truly a colorado river hang

Had some rain in 'Nederland' (in this case The Netherlands) yesterday too but no problems with things getting washed away....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles

SUMMER Hang ??

Although the weather was a bit uncooperative at times, it was a great time. Because of the rising water, fishing was a no go,but it was good to meet the other Forum members. Thanks to all who attended, hope to meet up again and share the trail more.
    Thanks seems very inadaquate for all the hard work invested by Out and Back and Food for this hang. Fine job guys! Looking forward to the next hang already.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

fire ban lifted

Great videos and pictures. Colorado lifted the state wide fire ban this morning and the counties are expected to follow suit.

The north loop was postponed until later in July. We will coordinate the dates with Trailryder42.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Great to hear about the fire ban, Food - need to figure out a way to get out again soon and maybe do some fishin. Nothin beats a trout wrapped in foil tossed into the coals!

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    That first Video
    is like the Poster Video of Why Hammocking is the way to go . . .

. . . now if you just had some pockets under the hammock for your boots . . .

Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast