Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My hammock arrived today. Didn't take any longer than 3 days to get it all the way from the US to Norway.

I'll post some thoughts on it once I get a rain-free day here to try it out.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

What's rain got to do with it?

A great pleasure of laying back before sleeping in a hammock, and the more in a spacious NX-250, is hearing rain fall on the rain fly.

I think a serious part of that -- and it is too bad that HF enables own-group knowlege -- is the hood over the end. Provides a primitive sense of harbor and security even though, when looking up from your back, that hood is almost all behind you, and none of your view is obscured.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    A great pleasure of laying back before sleeping in a hammock, and the more in a spacious NX-250, is hearing rain fall on the rain fly.

I think a serious part of that -- and it is too bad that HF enables own-group knowlege -- is the hood over the end. Provides a primitive sense of harbor and security even though, when looking up from your back, that hood is almost all behind you, and none of your view is obscured.
    Demo, it is raining right now at my house and I am just on my way out to bed in my hammock, and yes, the sound of rain on the fly is so, so, nice.

So i figured this would be a good enough question for this topic, in thinking about an nx-150, but im wondering when it says four season does that mean i would just need the hammock and a good sleeping bag/top quilt? Or would i still need and underquilt of sine sort to actually make ot suitable for cold/snow conditions?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Read plenty of threads here specifically on this about the 6 pocket models. In short: For cold deep enough for snow, yes you'd want more than just a the bottom half of the sleeping bag in the hammock beneath you. Could be pads in the pockets. Could be an UQ. Mr. StJohn has given the the most testimony on that setup.

As to the smaller bed 6 pocket models, I especially think the pockets offer limited protection because they don't cover a long enough area themselves. I think that, with an NX-150.

Thanks for the info, ill prob look around some more

Alright, I've just got back from the garden and I have tested my new hammock. These notes are of course only based on testing it for 30-45 minutes, not what it would be like to use it on a trip, though they do give me a good indication for what I can expect I hope.

I've never put up a hammock before in my life. Not a simple garden variety one, and certainly not an advanced hammock like the NX-250. But, it turns out it wasn't particuary hard. My hanging setup used tree straps and drip rings. Although I didn't try much without them, I suspect they both made the job a whole lot easier. Especially the drip rings made it trivial to do microadjustments of the setup. In addition to being good for the trees, the tree straps made it a lot easier to work with the ropes as well. Pretty much everything that needed to be adjusted was easily adjustable.

I didn't really expect anything else, but laying in the hammock was very comfortable. Having a bad back, I was a bit worried that I wouldn't get proper support for it (This has been an issue with some spreader bar hammocks I've tried), but this didn't seem to be an issue. Reaching the zippers was sometimes a bit annoying, but I think this is mostly a matter of practice for me.

One thing I didn't expect though (As nobody had really mentioned it before), was how comfortable it was to just sit across the middle of it, fully on par with a very comfortable beach chair. I guess many of you who has tried a lot of different hammocks don't quite see the big surprise here, but keep in mind my background is exclusively spreader bar hammocks and my experience with them is very unlike what I just described if you try to do the same.

Packing the thing together was the point I knew it was the right purchase though. The thing just magically tucks together in itself without ever even touching the ground. The #1 thing I hate about tents is the process of packing them, so this was definitively the biggest plus for me.

I apologize for sounding like an advertisement btw.

debolaz, you are off and running now. You will soon learn little tweaks which will help with set up, and also this hammock seems to be more comfortable with the foot end about a half foot higher than the head. The first few times you use it for any length of time you will likely begin to think if there is some way to do it better, I'm sure most of us have, and sometimes when you try something, BINGO!, it works, so don't be afraid to experiment. Hope that you continue to enjoy your new hammock.

Hammock
    RG60
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    Makin' whoopie
    Darceylambert seems to be a questionable member. Second odd post.

Bangkok Daemon
    Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak.

“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. ” ― Khalil Gibran

Images

Drip Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    Pay attention to the drip ring attachment instructions, where you use the drip ring as a tension adjustment device. Helps a lot, was going to swap out for Whoopies but leaving the stock on primarily because this makes it so easy, and I have more options with the rope if something breaks. Also pay attention to the foot being a bit higher, as the Clark material is great for mosquito proof but it is a bit slippery so you'll be more comfortable with the feet a bit higher.
    The NX250 was my first hammock and I use the drip rings and love them. They were easy to use from day one.

I like the drip ring idea so much I went to a hobby store and bought beads with the same shape and put them on all the strings for the tarp so I can snug them all down in seconds. Perfect sleeping setup for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123