Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question Are you carrying too much suspension?

Demostix raised an interesting point about excessive suspension in the tech line suspension thread and I wanted to bring up another point here without taking that tread too far off-topic.

His point was "consider the lengths of whoopie sling tails trailing to the ground over the last years of camping? How often have both tails NOT touched the ground? Would you have been more than inconvenienced if at least one sling were half the length, and the eye-loop-terminated cord you carry, for emergency, been called on as an extender for that rare long span between trees?"

Good points indeed, and I'd like to add to that: how often do you have extra webbing on your tree straps?

We have some pretty big trees where I hang and I carry 6' straps, which would allow me to hang from trees with a 23" diameter or double wrap smaller trees when possible. But in a pinch, I could wrap my straps 2/3rds around the tree and use my whoopie for the side facing the hammock which would let me hang from two 34" diameter trees. Assuming the damaging forces are on the backside of the tree, this would still allow for adequate protection. Now a 34" diameter tree is pretty big. Finding two of those growing within 14' of each other with no other suitable trees nearby are pretty darn slim.

Going on the principle that any really big tree is likely to be surrounded by smaller trees, wouldn't it make more sense to carry a long tree strap and a shorter tree strap? What are your thoughts and experiences regarding tree sizing and spacing? Are we all carrying too much extra suspension? Or is this really just a question for those few ultralighters looking to shave off those last few grams and not something of concern for everyone else?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    It's a good point, but one I don't often consider.

I carry 15' of webbing on my adjustable webbing suspension. I often have 8+ ft. left over, but on occassion i've used it all. I don't really consider the few extra oz. a big deal, but I know some would.

my .02

Dan.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Very good points! I have done just that and downsized my suspension a couple of years back. In these parts, I get by just fine with a 4' tree hugger, a 5' tree hugger and a pair of 6' whoopie slings. When going to an unknown area I may add a 24" continuous loop to act as a hugger extension if need be. I often wonder about those who order 12' tree huggers and 10' whoopie slings.

My suspension has been shortened now for a bit, I was using the "standard" 6ft straps with 6ft whoopies. Now I am using 3ft straps and 3.8ft whoopies, and carry two extenders in my pack (a 12" one and a 24" one) and so far (little over two years now) I have only had to use my extenders 3 times, once at PGF as I had to hang with my kids and better half, and twice on the trail as I was too darn lazy/tired to find the right set of tree's.

Every other time I have set up my rig I have had some tail hanging.

My system is pretty easy all I need/look for is as long as my tarp fit's in between the tree's with around a foot extra space on each end then my hang is near perfect, YMMV though.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    i have 12' webbing on each end. i have gone to the limit and have had extra on the same trip. i know there are chart things and stuff, but after a certain point you have to tie pretty high on the tree.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I figure if I am content it don't matter if some one thinks it is "too much". 12' webbing on both ends and yes... I am content with it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    On my recent hike on the AT I hung from trees where I barely had enough strap lenght to way to much due to the size of the trees and the distance apart. IMO its better to have straps that are too long than too short.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    On my recent hike on the AT I hung from trees where I barely had enough strap lenght to way to much due to the size of the trees and the distance apart. IMO its better to have straps that are too long than too short.
    I 2nd that. We have 10' straps on each end and have gotten close to using it all before..there are some big trees on the AT
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm not an UL backpacker but I am weight conscious about gear and on something I use frequently in many different areas I don't mind having the few extra ounces of a symmetrical suspension.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been using 4 ft. straps and six ft. whoopies. It's been working fine, but I still carry eight ft. straps just in case, and a selection of continuous loops as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast