ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap

Angry

cavediver2.........this is a hammock forum not a political and yes....there is a world economy deal with it!!!....

and now am getting off my soap box!!!!! jeez people.....
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Green Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    SMC rings / straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    hdbint
    THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT YOU THIS IS JMO AND I DO REALIZE THAT ...snip....
    SUBMIT [/COLOR]

I'm butt hurt now....... Just kidding.

Cavediver, I'd bet you and I would get along great. Seriously.....

I agree with your ideaology whole heartedly and I do make a strong effort to buy products made in the USA for many of the reasons you state. However, that's a personal decision you and I have made and one I do not want the .gov to make for me.

Question: Why should the goverment be able to tell you or me who we can and cannot buy goods from?

If I can buy a product that is of equal quality for cheaper (obviously the consumer would have to decide on the quality issue), do you really want the government telling you, "Stop, you can't buy that from them. You have to buy the one that was made here for more money."

That's my understanding of what you're saying. You want the .gov telling us what we can and can't spend our hard earned money on. That doesn't sound like freedom to me. I don't want them involved in any of my money making/spending decisions. They have their hands in too many things as it is.

Unfortunatley, we are where we are today and that's a free global market.....with a ton of .gov imposed restrictions.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nothing I like better than lounging in a Chinese hammock, tied to state park trees, smoking a Cuban cigar, while shooting bald eagles with an Israeli pistol. Ahhh, good times.

Just kidding; my hammock is made in Colorado, I never camp in state parks , when I smoke…it ain’t a cigar , and I’d never shoot an eagle (of any kind) with my Israeli pistol. Just fun to play with all the different ‘PC’ threads runnin around lately. That, and I’m bored.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    cavediver2.........this is a hammock forum not a political and yes....there is a world economy deal with it!!!....

and now am getting off my soap box!!!!! jeez people.....
    Thanks peanuts...couldn't agree more.

This discussion beongs in the Members Forum, if anywhere on a hammcock forum.

I would be happy to discuss US economic policy around a camp fire, but judging by folks "yelling" on this thread, it would be a short, angry, useless conversation.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

The govt is only telling us that in order to sell to the military or any of the US government agencies that the item must qualify as having been "made in America". Here are the FTC guidelines:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/madeusa.shtm

John

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Green Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    SMC rings / straps
    Images
    So.......back to the original thread. If HH are made in China (which I'm pretty sure they are), why the heck are they so expensive?
    Last edited by hdbint; 09-04-2008 at 14:49. Reason: fumble fingers

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    patents cost money?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdbint View Post
    So.......back to the original thread. If HH are made in China (which I'm pretty sure they are), why the heck are they so expensive?
    Because the market is growing rapidly and he (TH) is the one with the name out there in the mainstream. People continue to pay the amount he charges and he is probably looking to retire now that there is real competition out there.

He does do some great sales; he was selling the hyperlights with large tarp for $99 at Trail Days this year.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Because the market is growing rapidly and he (TH) is the one with the name out there in the mainstream. People continue to pay the amount he charges and he is probably looking to retire now that there is real competition out there.

He does do some great sales; he was selling the hyperlights with large tarp for $99 at Trail Days this year.
    Yes, whatever the market will handle no matter what the true value.
    Personally I don't have a major issue with buying made in wherever. But when the option exists to purchase local, support local services I take that route. Even if it has cost a few extra dollars.
    Regarding value. The gear from JRBs, Speers, OES...is IMO a better value. Quality gear really Made in USA.
    Noel V.

Finally!!! I've been pretty frustrated with HH ever since I discovered those little words "Made in China" silkscreened on that HH advertisement they call a stuff sack. I thought they were Canadian brethren. They need to come clean and apparent on their website. I posted a web page they sent to me months ago that was never included in their url. I think I posted the verbiage on here quite a while ago if anyone is interested. It was quite funny about how happy and educated and well dressed their Chinese factory workers were and what a favor they are doing for us.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast