Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Follow up to fabric question

Searching this site is very cumbersome, and rarely leads me to relevant threads, so I apologize if this has been hashed to death.

What does it mean if you wake up in a hammock with a slightly achy back? No pre existing back issues, and a pretty flat diagonal lay.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Searching this site is very cumbersome, and rarely leads me to relevant threads, so I apologize if this has been hashed to death.

What does it mean if you wake up in a hammock with a slightly achy back? No pre existing back issues, and a pretty flat diagonal lay.
    Could be the firmness or softness of the hammock fabric.
    Might be a hammock hang that is not optimal.
    Also could be that the user is not used to a hammock yet.
    Maybe they hung the hammock too tightly without a ridgeline to guide the hang.
    Could be they slept in the banana position.
    Maybe they just have a bad back and a hammock is not a good option.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just to be sure, how long is your hammock and how far apart are the ends when you hang it? I’m asking because some people get “flat” by having their hammock too tight. You mentioned the diagonal lie, which is the best way to “get flat”, but there are other factors. One is how long (days in a row) you’ve been using the hammock. Because for me, the first day or so after not being in a hammock for a while, is a period of readjustment.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

It is 13'6" from wall to wall. 11' hammock. 66" high, per the calculator. Feet are a foot or more higher than head. Been sleeping full time in a hammock now for a bit over a month, but not the same hammock, as I'm trying to dial in my preferences.

I have been led to believe that achy backs can be a result of too stretchy a material, regardless of weight rating. But then I see bigger guys using lighter fabrics and raving about the comfort, even compared to a slightly heavier fabric..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post

If you use Google and add Hammockforums to the search you will get much better searches. I have no idea why.
    That said IMO a sore back after sleeping in a hammock is do to the material being too light and stretchy. It gives you no support.
    I weigh 194 and would never use less than a 1.7 single-layered hammock. Some of these esoteric hammock materials feel like laying in the pudding.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    SLG45 - that’s were the phrase, “Personal Preference” comes in. Or, what’s that acronym - so yesterday now - YMMV. 12 inches higher sounds a little high unless it’s a BlackBird or other design that specifically suggests that much difference. But again - whatever works. I wouldn’t give something the boot after just one try - especially if it were new. but if you have that sore back consistently with this specific hammock, and your others are all fine, maybe you’ll be the first to post in the DIY sub-forum, “How to make a tablecloth out of a hammock."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Another variable: hanging a hammock indoors may not feel the same as hanging from trees, where you can adjust head and foot heights and play around with ridgeline length. In general, my hammocks feel better hanging under real trees (and so do I).

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    If you use Google and add Hammockforums to the search you will get much better searches. I have no idea why.
    That said IMO a sore back after sleeping in a hammock is do to the material being too light and stretchy. It gives you no support.
    I weigh 194 and would never use less than a 1.7 single-layered hammock. Some of these esoteric hammock materials feel like laying in the pudding.
    Thanks! Been doing that today and though the results are still not awesome, they are better than the site's search engine. I am far from a forum expert, but of the technical forums I have been on, this really is the worst search I've ever seen. Kinda like my 4 Runner's nav system, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    SLG45 - that’s were the phrase, “Personal Preference” comes in. Or, what’s that acronym - so yesterday now - YMMV. 12 inches higher sounds a little high unless it’s a BlackBird or other design that specifically suggests that much difference. But again - whatever works. I wouldn’t give something the boot after just one try - especially if it were new. but if you have that sore back consistently with this specific hammock, and your others are all fine, maybe you’ll be the first to post in the DIY sub-forum, “How to make a tablecloth out of a hammock."
    That would be funny, but no table cloths for me. I know everyone has their own preferences, but personal preference aside, why do you think the WB hammocks might be better with a higher foot end but other similar designs might not be?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    SLG45, see https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...mock-setup.pdf

"Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16′′ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.”

The usual lore is 6 - 8 inches higher (but again, personal preference). WarBonnet’s instructions are twice that. but their hammocks are cut a little different - with the foot box - than other gathered end hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast