Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

Tutorial: Tablecloth hammock with integrated net

Just a quick tutorial for my friends at HF.

Final weight of hammock with ridgeline & 6ft whoopies in stuff sack = 20.65oz.

Materials
    (from DIY Gear Supply)
    1 each- 60” Hammock Blank
    3 yds – Noseeum Netting
    10 ft - #3 Coil Zipper
    2 each - #3 Double Tab Zipper slider
    2 ft – 1/8” Reflective Glowwire
    1 spool - Gütermann Mara 70
    12ft – 1.9mm Tech Line
    25ft – 7/64” Amsteel
    Total cost = $48.26 + shipping

----------

Net Layout
    1. Cut Noseeum to 41” x 81”.
    2. Measure in 11.25" from opposite corners and cut to parralelagram shape.
    3. Round opposite corners. I use Smurfette's big Tupperware lid. Don't get caught sneaking it out of the kitchen!
    4. Decide wheather you want a left lay or right lay and put a little mark at the foot end so you don't get mixed up later.
    Diagram is for a right lay when top is facing up. (head left-feet right) If you lay opposite, flip it over now.

----------

Body
    1. Mark, pin and sew 3" channels on ends of hammock body with 3 strong rows of stitching.
    2. Put a pin in the foot channel so you don't get mixed up later.

----------

Join Net and Body
    1. Carefully meassure the distance around the net on the side that will be sewn. Mine ended up about 109.25", but yours may be slightly different.
    2. Mark the side to be sewn of the hammock body with a pin at the start and stop of the net stitching.
    Note - The net will likely stretch, so leave an inch or two for the net to grow as you sew it. I started the net approx 2" from the end of the channel.
    3. Lay Net on top of Body (see diagram) and start pinning it to the hammock body.
    4. Stitch the net and body together keeping close to the edge of the rolled hem on the hammock blank.
    5. Roll the hem again and add another row of stitching. Hopefully the net is somewhat centered when you finish.
    Note - Leave about an inch at the beginning and end unsewn. This will make it easier to attach the zipper.
    6. Flip over and run another row of stitching from the inside of the hammock, keeping the net and body stretched taught.

----------

Add Net zipper
    1. Place a mark on both halves of your coil zipper, then separate the zipper. The marks will help keep the ends straight.
    Note - leave the zipper hang over a few inches at each end and trim it to size later.
    2. Start at the head end. Position the net so that the inside is facing up. Position the zipper on the outside of the netting so that the teeth are toward the middle and sticking up toward you. Pin in a couple places so it doesn't move around.
    3. Use a zipper foot or the narrowest foot you have. Run a row of stitching along the zipper close to the toothed edge. Keep the zipper and edge of the netting aligned as you go.
    4. From the foot end, run a second row of stitching along the face of the zipper. Keep the stitching close to the edge away from the teeth.

----------

Add Body zipper
    (see diagrams above)
    1. Start at the foot end. Position the body so that the inside is facing up. Position the zipper on the outside of the body so that the teeth are toward the middle and sticking up toward you. Pin in a couple places so it doesn't move around.
    2. Use a zipper foot or the narrowest foot you have. Run a row of stitching along the zipper close to the toothed edge. Keep the zipper and edge of the netting aligned as you go.
    3. From the head end, run a second row of stitching along the face of the zipper. Keep the stitching close to the edge away from the teeth.

----------

Assemble zipper
    1. Bring the 2 ends of the zipper together and install a zipper slide from each end. The net should zip together when the sliders are moved toward the center.
    2. Clean up any ragged edges where the zipper, net and body meet by stitching the final inch or so together.

----------

Reinforce ends of channels
    1. Bring the channel ends together (from the inside) and run a few stitches back and forth to lock the ends of the channel together.
    Note - Failing to do this could result in the net tearing from the channels flexing back and forth.

----------

Finish up
    1. Install zipper pulls and cords on zipper slides.
    2. Build whoopie slings (see other tutorials). Install by feeding eye bury through each channel and securing with larkshead.
    3. Build ridgeline at approx 100" (see other tutorials). Install by feeding through center of hammock and hooking through whoopie slings.
    4. Build yourself a stuff sack (see other tutorials).

Disclaimer - This is maybe not the best way or the only way. It's just the way I do it.

Thanks
    PapaSmurf
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 07-11-2012 at 07:17.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Thanks PapaSmurf! Great instructions.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Very cool PapaSmurf - greatly appreciated! A great share!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    None now!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies or straps
    Thanks for that tutorial! I attempted this with a DIY hammock and messed it up royally. I'll need to post pics to see if I can get some ideas on how to fix. I can see by your illustrations that I went about it completely wrong.

Me YouTube Channel

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    +Sticky! Please!

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks PapaSmurf, this does help, but I still have a couple of questions..
    I have a 60x126 with whipped ends. I was thinking about doing something similar to the plans on DIY Gear Supply. http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/w...etZippered.jpg

My netting is 54" wide, is this too wide, or will it just give me more wiggle room.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Most excellent gift to the community Papa!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Fantastic detail in your pictures! Thank you P.S.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Thanks PapaSmurf, this does help, but I still have a couple of questions..
    I have a 60x126 with whipped ends. I was thinking about doing something similar to the plans on DIY Gear Supply. http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/w...etZippered.jpg

My netting is 54" wide, is this too wide, or will it just give me more wiggle room.
    Several ways to do it and none of them are wrong.

The 54" wide netting is great for a hex shaped net. I find it tends to get a little floppy on the areas opposite your head and feet, unless the hammock is fitted with side tie-outs.

This design stretches the netting fairly tight. It does not require tie-outs to hold the netting away from you. I've also used it without a ridgeline, but careful attention is needed to prevent overstretching the net.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Join Net and Body
    1. Carefully measure the distance around the net on the sewn end. Mine ended up about 109.25", but yours may be slightly different.
    2. Mark the sewn side of the hammock body with a pin at the start and stop of the net stitching.
    I struggled to understand this part, but finally decided you meant "the end that will be sewn" and "the side to be sewn," in each case to distinguish from the end and side that will have the zipper. Is that correct? I kept looking for earlier references to sewing or hemming, but couldn't find any except the end channels on the hammock body.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast