Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    who am I trying to kid..... not replying .... no ..

of course interested!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricecg View Post
    I don't know if this off-topic but i was searching around for the Eureka Crysalis and noticed the attachment buckle looks like a hybrid of Dutch clips and Bloomgorge Elephant trunks...http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/pro...94?s=section_4... just wondering if i was crazy...
    Looks like it to me, too, but I didn't get one of those with mine, must be new. BTW, the hammock itself is not over 5 lbs like it says, thats for everything, the shelter and hammock. I had to change to carbon fiber spreader bars and make some other changes to get it at 4 lbs for fly and hammock.
    Yes, I am very interested.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    There's one way I love to lie in bed, and I've never been able to get it to work, even remotely, in any non-bridge hammock I've tried. I'd like to know how easily it can be achieved in a bridge hammock, if at all.

It's almost identical to the "Jethro Tull" (more commonly known as the "ballerina") with one leg straight and the other tucked up with the knee out, but it's actually on my stomach, head turned to the side of the leg which is bent. I also have one arm straight down beside me (the same side as the straightened leg).

If there's a bridge hammock that allows this, then I'm almost certain to get it.

Even if my description above makes no sense and you don't include it, I still really appreciate that you're doing this comparison, and I'll be following the thread closely.

All the best!
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    This project has probably expanded from what you originally thought, with all the factors people have suggested, BackPackHiker. I hope you'll have the time and energy to do all this testing, because there have been a lot of good ideas offered. I thought of sending you BER's Cloud bridge to test, as well, but decided against it, because it's not commercially available to others, and besides, BER improved on it with his version 3, and there may be a version 4 by now. In that same vein, Angry Sparrow has a Griz Bridge that he has shared with quite a few people. We had the opportunity to compare it with the Cloud Bridge at the Mt. Rogers Hang a couple of years ago. Again, it's a DIY hammock, and I think you do well to limit your tests to models that can be purchased by more people.

Now, having simplified your task, I'm going to complicate it. I think you should enlist a panel of testers - as many as possible - to offer their opinions on the comfort of these hammocks. Further, you should try to arrange for each tester to spend a night in each hammock. Of course, the test group should include people of all shapes and sizes - maybe some with experience with bridge hammocks and some newbies, too. I know that's a tall order. My $.02. Good luck.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    one more, ability to place arm above head. This has to do with sleeping on my side, and end caps. On my side I put my head on my arm which I extend more or less straight above my head.

My summer bridge hammock is open at the ends to let air through and get out of the way of my arm.
    Ok, Arm above head check. I will be sure to add this.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    There's one way I love to lie in bed, and I've never been able to get it to work, even remotely, in any non-bridge hammock I've tried. I'd like to know how easily it can be achieved in a bridge hammock, if at all.

It's almost identical to the "Jethro Tull" (more commonly known as the "ballerina") with one leg straight and the other tucked up with the knee out, but it's actually on my stomach, head turned to the side of the leg which is bent. I also have one arm straight down beside me (the same side as the straightened leg).

If there's a bridge hammock that allows this, then I'm almost certain to get it.

Even if my description above makes no sense and you don't include it, I still really appreciate that you're doing this comparison, and I'll be following the thread closely.

All the best!
    Ballerina pose check. I would be happy to include this in the review I am getting a few request for different sleeping positions. I really want this to be a review that includes what people want to see so keep the suggestions coming.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    This project has probably expanded from what you originally thought, with all the factors people have suggested, BackPackHiker. I hope you'll have the time and energy to do all this testing, because there have been a lot of good ideas offered. I thought of sending you BER's Cloud bridge to test, as well, but decided against it, because it's not commercially available to others, and besides, BER improved on it with his version 3, and there may be a version 4 by now. In that same vein, Angry Sparrow has a Griz Bridge that he has shared with quite a few people. We had the opportunity to compare it with the Cloud Bridge at the Mt. Rogers Hang a couple of years ago. Again, it's a DIY hammock, and I think you do well to limit your tests to models that can be purchased by more people.

Now, having simplified your task, I'm going to complicate it. I think you should enlist a panel of testers - as many as possible - to offer their opinions on the comfort of these hammocks. Further, you should try to arrange for each tester to spend a night in each hammock. Of course, the test group should include people of all shapes and sizes - maybe some with experience with bridge hammocks and some newbies, too. I know that's a tall order. My $.02. Good luck.
    Hello, I will PM you about the cloud bridge. I think that is a great idea and I was planning to get two other people to sleep in the hammocks and give thier feedback. I am average size 5' 10' 160lb. I have a friend who is 6' 2 and about 220-250 and my brother who is 5' 4' and about 160. So I think that will give everyone a idea of how that hammock sleeps small medium and large people. And yes this is becoming a big project but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Video Recorder

I am going to try and get my hands on the GoPro Hero 2 for this video review. I don't have the spare cash for it but it would be awesome if they sponsored this video series, I will see what I can do

Otherwise I will stick to my Canon camera. I am thinking that this video might take a little longer than I first anticipated as I am still waiting for most of the gear to arrive. I will plan to have it finished by Christmas as my gift to hammockforums.net

Thank you so far for all of the great response.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    Hello, I will PM you about the cloud bridge. I think that is a great idea and I was planning to get two other people to sleep in the hammocks and give thier feedback. I am average size 5' 10' 160lb. I have a friend who is 6' 2 and about 220-250 and my brother who is 5' 4' and about 160. So I think that will give everyone a idea of how that hammock sleeps small medium and large people. And yes this is becoming a big project but I think it will be worth it in the long run.
    Nick,

While I am flattered the you and WV would consider using one of my DIYs in your review, I don't think that it fits in with the others. They are simple no nonsense netless, endcap-less DIY. They are not commercially available and will not be in the future unless someone else decides to make something similar. I have already written up the Cloud in it's own thread, and improved on it with my Cirrus hammock (also written up).

If you really want a noncommercial comparison, one of the GrizzBridges would probably be more appropriate as his quality and engineering is as close as one could hope for as a "nearly commercial" grade DIY. That being said, if you really want to use it for comparison sake, I will send you the Cirrus, but not with the intent of being reviewed--more of a comparison of comfort based on dimensions for your own satisfaction. I will send you a PM with a chart of dimensions that I have garnered that may/may not be helpful.

Brian

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Nick,

While I am flattered the you and WV would consider using one of my DIYs in your review, I don't think that it fits in with the others. They are simple no nonsense netless, endcap-less DIY. They are not commercially available and will not be in the future unless someone else decides to make something similar. I have already written up the Cloud in it's own thread, and improved on it with my Cirrus hammock (also written up).

If you really want a noncommercial comparison, one of the GrizzBridges would probably be more appropriate as his quality and engineering is as close as one could hope for as a "nearly commercial" grade DIY. That being said, if you really want to use it for comparison sake, I will send you the Cirrus, but not with the intent of being reviewed--more of a comparison of comfort based on dimensions for your own satisfaction. I will send you a PM with a chart of dimensions that I have garnered that may/may not be helpful.

Brian
    So it seems that the DIY BER Cirrus will be included in the review in a DIY category for viewers to see what can be done on their own as well as what can be purchased. Personally I know I have always wondered if the DIY projects compare in comfort to the Manufactured gear. Thank you BER for your contribution.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast