Request: Hammock for Cricket Stand Indoor Sleeping: Brazilian or Ripstop?

Hi,

I've read through a few posts and comments in threads about people's indoor sleeping setups. It seems like a decent/even-ish mix of people opting for Brazilian cotton or ripstop nylon. On the web page for the cricket stand, there's a list of hammocks people have successfully used with it, but all of them are nylon. When I search for some (not a super deep dive search) Brazilian hammocks, most of them are as long or longer than the stand's length.

As a helpful aside, I'm 5'3, so I don't *think* I'd need to utilize all of the space an 11 foot long hammock provides, but in my previous info deep dive, the consensus was that having all 11 feet worth of the hammock/fabric available provides less of a feeling of constriction couldn't hurt.

Wondering if there's a way to bunch/scrunch or tie up a longer Brazilian cotton hammock's end ties to fit it to the cricket's dimensions, or if there are slightly smaller Brazilian cotton hammocks you use/sites you're aware of, or if I should instead focus on getting something tried and true made out of ripstop.

I don't mind the feel of Ripstop, but I think starting out on cotton would be preferred, as I possibly transition from conventional mattress with 'fluffy' bedding to hanging.

Images
    Past 4 years indoor hanging on Tripod/XX/Bipod stands have set enough experiences with nylon/polyester/Amok 3.0 hammocks.

Your choices will come predominately from your experiences, which will not coincide with mine.

That being said, I can say that taut hammock material is my preference and I don't much care for the banana sag of stretchy material. While your Brazilian cotton hammock (yep did that in the 70's) is comfortable for a leisure hang, sleeping sometimes require back and side positions. Diamond pattern cotton might not allow for those adjustments.

The two most comfortable for me were/are the polyester material with almost zero stretch, which gives a taught predictable pocket to sleep in. My polyester hammock is 11-feet x 90-inches to allow plenty of angles from flat lay to fetal variations.

The Amok 3.0 provides the greatest variables with sleeping pad rigid flat lay by pumping as much air as possible, to a more saggy bean bag style of laying. In addition, chair mode with variations in inflation allow one to dial it.

Chair mode is my only entering and exiting mode that I have found that is repeatable and fail proof.

Your only reliable guide will be your experience, not mine, as unsatisfying as that is, it is the only way to pick one hammock and experiment until you (and no one else) is satisfied that you can cross off that style for your comfort.

A really good 8-hour sleep in blackout conditions will amaze you with the restorative energy that springs forth. (again, my experience, not yours).

Spreader Bar instead of gathered end.jpg
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 10-26-2023 at 10:53.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I know it isn't a cricket stand, but here is the stand I use daily. Admittedly I paid $5 for it at a local building materials recycling center and you are not likely to find a similar deal. Actually I picked up two, both with a similar design. I use it mainly for as my couch for reading, watching videos, grab a cat nap, and occasionally sleeping at night. I use to slide it into position, but this spring I attached the wheels and it is absolutely awesome for portability and moving about as needed.

Hammockstandwithwheels.jpg

• + New Posts