DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    Hey I was wondering will there still be bugs around then? its a question to change which hammock i bring.
    Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues. Proverbs 17:28

Custom hammocks...cottage industry...endless options
    http://www.wix.com/dandeman94/dandemanhammocks
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dandem...10535562357869

Action sport photography.http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trik-M...39451409426834

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Ok so, I really want to bring my girls who are 4&5, but i am worried that they cant make the hike . I was wondering if anyone colud tell me how rough the terrain is. I dont think the milage will be a problem they have hiked easy to moderate terrain in the past. (My wife will be there reguardless)
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dandeman View Post
    Hey I was wondering will there still be bugs around then? its a question to change which hammock i bring.
    Well, the nights are getting cooler, and it will be cooler in the mountains, but Fridat night's hang is supposed to be somewhere down by the river, so I would be prepared. Since Friday ngiht will be relatively close to the parking area, I suppose you could bring both hammocks and use the hammock with the bug net on the Friday night and take the other on up on the mountain with you for Saturday night.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    Ok so, I really want to bring my girls who are 4&5, but i am worried that they cant make the hike . I was wondering if anyone colud tell me how rough the terrain is. I dont think the milage will be a problem they have hiked easy to moderate terrain in the past. (My wife will be there reguardless)
    I've never been there, but I get the sense that it could be fairly rough terrain on the mountain and most likely there not be an established campsite. I suppose you could take the girls and do the camp on Friday night down by the river, then try the hike on Saturday, but be prepared to retreat if it turns out beyond thier skill/comfort level.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    VisionaryLion, you may want to re-read the initial posts by GordonFreeman on the first page. He makes some pretty clear comments on the difficulty of this hike.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonfreeman View Post
    Dan, you could have caught a ride with me but I have to work that Sat. You at LU?
    Gordon, since you suggested the trip and the hang site, but now are having to miss out because of work (sorry to hear that!), any ideas how we will be able to identify the hang site once we get up there? I mean, I'm sure we'll be able to pick out a good hang site, but I thought that if we couldn't have the pleasure of your company, we could at least keep the spirit of the trip as you had wanted to share.

There are the appoximate coordinates that you gave earlier, but I don't have a GPS I can take into the woods.

Thanks for the trip, wish there was a way you could still make it.

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Based on what I put in google maps, it looks like the second lat/long is off the AT. maybe I'm confused by I thought the hike was on the AT? just curious.
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Living the Highlife View Post
    Based on what I put in google maps, it looks like the second lat/long is off the AT. maybe I'm confused by I thought the hike was on the AT? just curious.
    Yes, it is likely that the coordinates are off a bit. When Gordon first posted coordinates, he said as much. And since my coordinates come from Google, they're bound to be only a bit better.

The important info is that the meeting place is at the parking area at the foot bridge that the AT crosses the James River on Rt 130. Beyond that, the proposal was to camp by the river on Friday night and at a scenic spot approximately 3 miles north on the AT from the parking area after that.

I did a Google scan and found a likely ridge/cliff about 3 miles up the trail. The ridge looks like it's 100 yards off the AT. Since I've never been up there, I'm planning to go out tomorrow morning and scout out the areas by the river and on the mountain. I plan to mark out a couple of sites in each area that will accommodate 10 hangers each.

Does that help?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

Pre-trip scout report

I went to the proposed area for this hang and came back with the following details, despite not having enough time to finish the task:

1. There is definitely a restricted zone for camping near the bridge, but a couple of options are available for Friday night:
    a. cross the river and hike @ 1 mile to the end of the restricted zone and look for a place to set up. There is an abundance of trees, and since hammocks make use of trees, I don't think there will be much of an issue. I don't know for sure as I didn't get to that point on the trail
    b. cross the highway from the parking lot and hike about 3/4 mile to a very pleasant, though seemingly popluar, site that has an establish fire ring next to a pleasant brook and enough hanging opportunities for at least 8 hammocks in the immediate vicinity.

Unfortunately, I also didn't have time to reach the proposed vicinity up on the mountain, so I can't report on that. I will say that the trail and areas I did get to explore were fairly pleasant and I was able to identify 3 additional hang sites that could easily accommodate 6-8 hammocks.

The short and skinny of it is that the group will have the opportunity to explore together and decide on where to hang each night.

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post
    I went to the proposed area for this hang and came back with the following details, despite not having enough time to finish the task:

1. There is definitely a restricted zone for camping near the bridge, but a couple of options are available for Friday night:
    a. cross the river and hike @ 1 mile to the end of the restricted zone and look for a place to set up. There is an abundance of trees, and since hammocks make use of trees, I don't think there will be much of an issue. I don't know for sure as I didn't get to that point on the trail
    b. cross the highway from the parking lot and hike about 3/4 mile to a very pleasant, though seemingly popluar, site that has an establish fire ring next to a pleasant brook and enough hanging opportunities for at least 8 hammocks in the immediate vicinity.

Unfortunately, I also didn't have time to reach the proposed vicinity up on the mountain, so I can't report on that. I will say that the trail and areas I did get to explore were fairly pleasant and I was able to identify 3 additional hang sites that could easily accommodate 6-8 hammocks.

The short and skinny of it is that the group will have the opportunity to explore together and decide on where to hang each night.
    I think you did plenty good on the initial friday night scouting! although it seems more popular, and fire ring included, my vote would be for A because if I'm reading your words correctly, we would have to go south on the AT to get to the spot, which means crossing the river and stocking up on water prior to the mountain trek. sounds like a good plan. I'm still planning on showing up!
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast