Hammocks in Yellowstone where you have to use official camp grounds.

My niece and I are going to yellowstone in about 3 weeks and I"m trying to prep for it.

Can you hang hammocks in the camp grounds in the yellowstone back country?

There are no rules AGAINST it but you're required to use official camps so I'm not sure if they're going to be full or if we're going to be able to find two trees right next to each other in relatively close distance.

I guess it wouldn't be too bad if we camped ADJACENT to the camps but if there is a ranger there he may be strict.

Also just trying to make sure it's even POSSIBLE as I haven't seen any pics of their camp layouts.

Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Backcountry campsites are by permit/reservation only. They just want to know who is camping where, when, and how many in the event any emergencies arise.

I would suggest you contact the Backcountry Office 307-344-2160 and inquire about the sites you want permits for. They may be able to tell you if it's a wooded campsite or not. I know that many campsites in/near the Bechler (extreme south-west) area of the park do not have any trees as much of it is meadow. I'm sure that other areas of the park may be the same.

Most trees in Yellowstone are no more than 18-inches in diameter and are great for hammocking. I also know that they discourage "sleeping out in the open." But, I think that if you pitch a tarp tight against your hammock, it has the same appearance as a tent.
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Four Season
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ 72"
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings

Yellowstonw hang 2012

I just got back from 12 days in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. I slept in my WBBB 10 days. The only issue that I ran into in the campgrounds was elimated when I had a campground host come over and see my setup. When I first told the host that I was going to sleep in a hammock they told me that I'd have to take it down everyday so as not to tangle up a elk wandering thru the campgrounds. When they saw that my hammock was reall just like a tent but about two feet off the ground (when the tarp was pulled down) they said it was ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK... Hm. I will have to re-read the regulations but I'm pretty sure they were first come / first serve in Yellowstone.

Quote Originally Posted by tygr View Post
    Backcountry campsites are by permit/reservation only. They just want to know who is camping where, when, and how many in the event any emergencies arise.

I would suggest you contact the Backcountry Office 307-344-2160 and inquire about the sites you want permits for. They may be able to tell you if it's a wooded campsite or not. I know that many campsites in/near the Bechler (extreme south-west) area of the park do not have any trees as much of it is meadow. I'm sure that other areas of the park may be the same.

Most trees in Yellowstone are no more than 18-inches in diameter and are great for hammocking. I also know that they discourage "sleeping out in the open." But, I think that if you pitch a tarp tight against your hammock, it has the same appearance as a tent.

Dude. That rocks. Super helpful... and I wouldn't mind taking my hammock down every day. Super easy to setup again.

Quote Originally Posted by dac01 View Post
    I just got back from 12 days in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. I slept in my WBBB 10 days. The only issue that I ran into in the campgrounds was elimated when I had a campground host come over and see my setup. When I first told the host that I was going to sleep in a hammock they told me that I'd have to take it down everyday so as not to tangle up a elk wandering thru the campgrounds. When they saw that my hammock was reall just like a tent but about two feet off the ground (when the tarp was pulled down) they said it was ok.

"Back Country" hiking/camping is by permit only. My application was in in March for my August hike.

Camping in some of the campgrounds is first come first serve, some are by reservation.
    Slave to modern society....for now

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Insulation
    zeppelin UQ
    I'll be in Yellowstone also in about 3 week. I will be staying a the following camp sites (4M2, 4W3, 3T3, 3F2, 3L8, & 3L3). I would like to use my new Clark hammock, but from past years I know some sites are not hammock friendly. I've not been in this part of Yellowstone before. Any comments will help.

yes. my plan is to just get my permit when I get there and then find a first come first serve camp ground in the back country ... if we can't find one we will keep hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by !wrass! View Post
    "Back Country" hiking/camping is by permit only. My application was in in March for my August hike.

Camping in some of the campgrounds is first come first serve, some are by reservation.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Wb mambajamba
    Insulation
    Pheonix20 golite1s
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Sounds like a great trip! Let us know what you get to see!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    I've slept in hammocks in the campgounds at Yellowstone last year...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts