Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy Scouts

Boy Scouts

I'm looking for any Scouters and Scout leaders (or anybody involved with Boy Socuts / youth) that are members of this forum.

I've recently been introduced to hammock camping by bigbogg at a summer camp our troop attended last month and beginning next week I'll be introducing the concept of hammock camping to our troop with our first outing projected for Sept-Oct of this year.

I'm looking for some valuable insight from those of you who have already traveled this road as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions (especially from parents).

Appreciate your help

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    There are quite a few scouters on the forums (see this thread for some). You might try searching for "boy scouts" and see what turns up.

I am a Committee Chair for a troop in the suburbs of Atlanta, GA, and I attend most outings. Been hanging for about a year, and it is slowly gaining traction.

Hammock
    Grey Goose DIY
    Tarp
    JRB or AHE
    Insulation
    Top & under quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & woopies
    I am a scout leader and have camped with my hammock on a few campouts. For the most part it has been a curiosity. The interest has been mostly among other adults who see a way to sleep more comfortably.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist half full. To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Send me a PM.

Our troop recently sewed their own hammocks with bug nets and tarps. Great project, but too bad there is no sewing merit badge! I'm heading to summer camp next week with my troop and I'll be in a hammock, of course.

Check out this article in Scouting Magazine:

> http://scoutingmagazine.org/2012/06/...mmock-camping/

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images

Hanging Scouters

Welcome to HF. dejohais the man.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    im a scout leader (in training) and i just purchased a hammock ive slept in it for the last 2 night and found it alot easier to set up and tear down also alot more comfortable than a tent.

and im going to a scout camp on the 21- 29 and that’s what ill be sleeping in so hopefully every thing goes well

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I tried to introduce the concept to the boys about 3 years ago but it didn't stick (more of a curiosity like cyclismo mentioned). The last trip I went on with the troop was about a year ago and there were only two tents out of about a dozen campers. Everyone converted except for two tagalong adults.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    Scout Master Al here. About half of our scouts and scouters are hanging. We are very active in backpacking and the benefits of hanging usually hit by their second year of ground dwelling. We are currently about 60% DYI and 40% manufactured hammocks/gear.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    There are a bunch of scouters on the forum and I have yet to find one not willing to share experiences and tips. I started hanging 4 years ago and slowly but steadily it's catching on with others in the troop. I have been working with a group of boys on the camping merit badge and now that we are done we will be moving on to the unofficial merit badge "Hammock Camping". There is a thread for it and it includes the requirements for the merit badge. Since it's an unofficial merit badge liberties are granted to adjust the requirements to suit your needs and still maintain the integrity of the process.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    I'm an ASM from a troop is NW Florida. I have been hanging for 5 years. Matter of fact I bought my very first hammock (an ENO Single) at a council-wide camping event. Soon thereafter, I almost always only use a hammock--especially on backpacking trips. Got real tired of unseen, but not unfelt, rocks and roots. Both of my sons,who are also in the troop, are also hangers. We have about 20 active scouts. So far we have converted 4 others and there are a couple on the fence but are almost ready to make the switch. I plan to buy them a couple of "blanks" from tableclothsfactory.com and give them some practice whipping; just on a hammock instead of a rope this time. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone--they get whipping practice, plus they also get a hammock out of the deal.

I think many on here have used this philosophy with their scouts as well. This would be a great project for anyone working on their wilderness survival merit badge. A DIY tarp and hammock can get easily (and comfortably) get them thru the night. Plus think about having this knowledge/skill to fall back on during an OA Ordeal...

You'll soon discover everyone on this forum is willing to share information & ideas. And, as others in this thread have pointed out, there are quite a few of us here that are in scouting and, of course, we can always share our experiences with you as well. Look forward to hearing how things are progreessin g for you.

YIS,
    Todd Cyrus

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast