Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook

Sierra Nevada hangers, what do you suggest for a 3 season insulation setup?

I have an ENO double with whoopies and a 12x22 Cabela's Gore-tex tarp I pitch as a diamond fly, just need insulation. Suggestions? What can I expect as far as weather variation?

I usually stick to the lake Tahoe area, planning a few hikes further north and a trip to Yosemite that will become a regular thing. I've only camped in these areas at established camp sites in tents with sleeping bags. I'm starting to backpack more, so hammocks are great. I just don't know what to expect temps wise since I usually only day hike some of these places.
    Hammock Gear List: https://lighterpack.com/r/cwjf0g

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I always take a 20F setup. If part of the trip goes alpine you probably want pads instead of an underquilt. About 9,500 feet the trees get rubbery and drop you to the ground.

The other consideration is straps - you need a good 15-20 feet on each end if you are camping in established campgrounds or areas where the sugar or foxtail pines are more abundant, and a backup tent in the car for car camping. No guarantee that the campsite you are assigned will have appropriate trees. In state parks there are sometimes hammock bans, like in Big Basin. In Lodgepole campground I was chewed out for not hanging it over the tent pad - which 1) had a tent in it and 2) was in a more impacted site than the nice large granite boulder I was hanging over. They get funny sometimes, those rangers.

Gunna 2nd all that lori said.

In the summer, you can still get 35* nights up there. I hung all around the grouse ridge area, +/- 30miles from the lookout, while i was on temp duty to Beale AFB. After the 1st couple nights, i sewed on some "draft pillows" on the ends of my hammock where the top and bottom of the quilt would hang. A 6oz (2 layer offset 3oz) PL1 UQ, 48"x72" kept me nice and toasty with a variety of top insulation from 15* rating up to 40* rating.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Thermarest has treated me well. I've been out, at least once a month, in that area since April. I haven't been cold, yet. I hate to drag it along, but my most comfortable nights were spent using my 0 degree down bag as a quilt. However, my three season down bag does very well. Just not as luxurious.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    +1 to what lori said. She knows her stuff.

I still use a repurposed top quilt as an underquilt for all but the winter months and even then I simply slap another DIY underquilt on and bring the Z rest for insurance.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Good info. I'm a warm sleeper, I guess UQs can be loosened/adjusted to vent heat just like a TQ can be flopped over. My concern is more of keeping my insulation dry. I'll probably go with synthetics for that purpose. I won't need down being I'm a radiator and probably will be awhile before I'll be doing any 4th season hanging.
    Hammock Gear List: https://lighterpack.com/r/cwjf0g

Not sure if you pulled the trigger yet. But I hike those areas and am comfortable with the synthetic Jarbridge 3/4 length under quilt. It is on sale right now at arrowhead equipment. I cut up a down bag for my top quilt. Mine was a rab but lots of people like the golite sleeping bags. When they have no insulation on the bottom they are easy to cut up to the foot box. And these versions wouldn't have zippers.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie

20 degree set up

Hi, Just finished the JMT with my hammock set up. 20 degree set up is plenty warm even at high elevation. I also found that using the tarp also increased warmth because it block out small breeze at night.

Have fun and it will be nice to see more hangers up in the Sierra!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG INC\TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

The solution

Hammock underquilt 20 degree with a z rest and liner has taken me really comfortably into the low teens, when its warmer I bring the underquilt only, when its hot I just unbutton the bottom of my 20 degree quilt and shift to vent its worked really well for me.

• + New Posts