Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You have too many toys. My camping set up is more of a minivan with the wife and 3 kids. I used to want a Jeep.

Please keep us posted on what you wind up with! Happy hunting!

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    To start of with yes an ENO one link is a decent place to start. You get everything you need in on bag. And upgrading is easy ( or as we like to call of feeding the addiction ).

A wilderness logics big daddy tarp could a great replacement for winter camping.

Whoopies are usually the first thing to get after the initial purchase.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Start your search with a group hang. if you really want a certain kind, this may make or break your decision. I have an ENO Doublenest and Guardian Bugnet with a custom reflective Wilderness Logics Tadpole tarp.
    Love my setup, no desire to change it. I took my time and looked at as many as I could.
    Many MANY options available to you, lurk around a bit and dont be afraid to ask questions.
    But if you can, check out a local hang if you really want to put hands on some great product.
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellt View Post
    You have too many toys. My camping set up is more of a minivan with the wife and 3 kids. I used to want a Jeep.

Please keep us posted on what you wind up with! Happy hunting!
    1, You do not want a pic of my garage. Seriously...
    2, It's good to be single save for my GF will go on any adventure BUT camping... Grrrrr...
    3, What do you mean you used to want one? They are the most impractical expensive (Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket) toys out there and yet they are addictive!
    4, There is nothing wrong with a minivan and kids. You get to experience thing I never will (no kids, can't have 'em). I'm limited to the odd adventure with friends kids.

Schnick, I'm not sure there is a group hang around here to work with. I haven't seen anything listed.

I'll probably do some sort of hybrid with the DN and a different tarp/bugnet. The only other bits that come with the DN are th stakes. I don't have any use for the apparently worthless slap straps and my climbing carabiners are likely of a much higher quality (if I bet my life on them, I don't skimp!). So far that seems to be a good plan though I'm looking at the Hennessy, Blackbird, and the NX250 tonight for research.

I really do appreciate the help guys!

Meh... You can never have too many toys... There are too many days in this life to not have enough toys...

I think you're on the right track, but my personal opinion is to save your money on the ENO, there are many different options out there and jumping on the first one may not be the best choice. Somewhat expensive for the weight and options you get.
    One thing that I've noticed is that there is one feature I don't see discussed much by anyone is the inclusion or exclusion of a ridge line. The ENO you have to work to get the optimal hang EVERY time you hang it. NOT pushing the brand, but HH has a ridge line for instance and all you have to do is walk up to two tress, hang and pull tight - 'perfect' hang every time.
    I know you said that you didn't like the integrated bug net, but I would offer that you could (for still less weight than an ENO) get something with the integrated netting and have it modified to give you the option to install or remove the netting as needed (think zipper).

Just an opinion...

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Well it looks like you have just as many toys as I do! LOL! Nice boat, Jeep, and MC too! And being the first to try things in my group of friends is my habit....or is it their habit..hummm. Oh well we all benifit.
    You can make a lighter gathered end hammock out of rip stop nylon. I use a 1.0 or 1.1 weight and make it double "layered" instead of double wide even though the combination of both is sweet! This way a pad can be sandwiched in between so it stays put. I use under quilts but in extreme cold a pad is good "insurance".
    Also tarps that are made of Sil-Nylon are lighter & much more compact than the PU coated nylon types like the ENO's. Warbonnet, OES, Arrowhead Equipment, and Wilderness Logics are all good sources. You can also make one but I'm not that skilled and don't even wanna try!
    Nets can be made or bought easily too.
    Sounds like you've clued yourself in already on suspension with Whoopies, Dutch Ware and good tree straps.
    The suggestion to get to a hang is the best thing to do. Go see what others have & try out some rigs.
    Good Luck to you, Cakes

I meant to add...Welcome from a fellow Tennessean!
    Last edited by L.D. Cakes; 07-14-2012 at 11:06.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Well, today was a decision sort of day so I picked up a hammock stand (had it at $69 at a store) and an Eno single-nest (the only doubles that were in were, well, trashed) and this is meant to be a relaxing/flopping leave in the kayak hammock. So far I put it up in my living room while sitting back watching TV for the last few hours. Very comfy!

As for the camping set-up, I have had the Hennessy and the Warbonnet sites open on the computer all day along with the 2QZQ website. As much as I love the NX-250 I just can't stomach the price if I'm not sure I'll love it enough (and with work, use it enough) to justify it. If I do, I can sell what I have and upgrade!

I'm looking to order either the Exlplorer or the Blackbird Double 1.7 (though I wish it was black, not everyone is a hunter) tomorrow. Both are about the same price when comparably set-up and it looks like the webbing system will be fine, at least to begin with, for my needs. I'm throwing my hat into the crowd as another potential convert, pics will be forthcoming!

Thanks again for the help and the Eno for lounging is still AWESOME and doesn't have my personal beef with everything bug-net-wise being attached. Best of both worlds, flop/lounge in one, camp in the other?

Don't forget that if you have a REI around you can go check out the HH line... Probably bet to call and see if they have it in stock first, but they'll get one in stock if you ask
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Wet, thanks for the idea, but the nearest REI is in Nashville where I'm in Knoxville. I'd spend the difference in anything in gas just going there and back! lol

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    I'm looking to order either the Exlplorer or the Blackbird Double 1.7 (though I wish it was black, not everyone is a hunter) tomorrow. Both are about the same price when comparably set-up and it looks like the webbing system will be fine, at least to begin with, for my needs. I'm throwing my hat into the crowd as another potential convert, pics will be forthcoming!

Thanks again for the help and the Eno for lounging is still AWESOME and doesn't have my personal beef with everything bug-net-wise being attached. Best of both worlds, flop/lounge in one, camp in the other?
    I've been down your road. I've had around 15 hammocks now. I have 2 ENO doubles, a WBBB 1.1d (sold another 1.1d w/ whoopies & a 1.7d), a GT Double, 5 Kammoks, a TTTG Switchback, two DangerBirds, a Byer Mosquito and a few others.

I've had several tarps including JRB & SuperFly. If you want to park a MC under your tarp, get a Kelty Noah 16 (I've had several hammocks under one with room to spare).

I've also had numerous TQs and UQs. After all of this, the Kammok is my top choice for bugless camping. My new DBs are as good as the Kammok, except they have a bug net & topcover. They also have built-in whoopies & ridgline. If I was going to start with only one choice, that would be my first one. The SuperFly is my favorite tarp (I have two), but I could see getting a HG Cuben Fiber Palace as an upgrade. Of all the UQs I've used, I'd still get the HG Incubator. The 20* one would work for you most of the year.

I see that you haven't gotten into the WW Kayaks, yet? I started with rec kayaks and now have a couple of WW ones. As far as collecting - I have 4 kids (adopted one), 2 dogs, a rabbit & 6 chickens. Check out a couple of my reviews or PM me with questions...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast