WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

ENO DryFly

Anyone use it? How do you like it?

I value your opinions over the "experts" running the blogs any day

As always, thanks in advance for any info.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    I had a good buddy that started with a stock Eno one link system. The flys work, but due to the deep catenary cuts they have coverage issues. Much like the stock Hennessy hammock fly, set it up right and you'll be fine.

Hammock
    DIY GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    down all around
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I have one, and although I haven't used it in the rain, it seems to cover fine. However, I prefer my ProFly simply because I only have to stake out 4 lines rather than 6.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

traded

for a profly so i only have 4 corners to stake out and better coverage.

i have a one link system as well.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    I hate to be a hater, but man, ditch the slap straps. The one time that we used them they stretched so much the hammock was almost touching the ground.

Nylon webbing isn't the best for suspension applications; Polypro (polypropylene) is better, and polyester is best. Whoopie slings, adjustable webbing, there are so may great (and easy) options.

My opinion, HYOH.

Dan.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As Dan mentioned coverage could be an issue if the weather came at you sideways. Another thing to consider is if you are weight conscious for backpacking you may want to look into a silnylon tarp.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    I hate to be a hater, but man, ditch the slap straps. The one time that we used them they stretched so much the hammock was almost touching the ground.

Nylon webbing isn't the best for suspension applications; Polypro (polypropylene) is better, and polyester is best. Whoopie slings, adjustable webbing, there are so may great (and easy) options.

My opinion, HYOH.

Dan.
    To whom are you referring? I use polypro webbing and descender rings.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl/Switchback
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx/Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE UQs+20burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle+Dutch
    I recently purchased the dryfly but have only had one chance to use it so far, so I'm not sure how worthwhile my opinion is. Nevertheless, I liked it. There was a bit of a learning curve to set it up (too many cooks in the kitchen), but it was really quite easy. All of the lines have adjustable cinches (probably an incorrect term) that allow you to tighten/slacken the line as necessary to achieve uniform tautness. I ran my hammock suspension through the tree ties of the tarp as was recommended in a couple of places I read, but I definitely recommend that you NOT do that because when you sit in the hammock, it pulls the tarp down upon you.

As to performance, the tarp stayed in place, kept its tautness, and provided dry coverage (I almost said "good" or "great" coverage, but I figure some might complain that that's subjective; point is, it kept me dry and blocked the wind). There was a light rain in the morning, and it was absolutely cozy in my hammock (people on this forum are so right when they say that the best time to be in a hammock is when it rains, it is very peaceful and relaxing). The six lines may indeed be overkill, and the catenary cuts may be deep, but I thought the coverage provided was excellent. The extra lines add a lot of flexibility of setup in my opinion, either to batten down the hatches or open up some airflow to your hammock. As to the cuts, they cut weight, and I feel like they also offer airflow and vision benefits in the hammock that a square tarp would not.

My only complaint with the fly is repacking it; I'm so spoiled by the ease of the Eno pouches, and the tarp is definitely more like a tent that you have to strategically fold in order to refit it in the included pouch, and that takes some time.

Wow, this was too long. Sorry.

Hammock
    WL Snipe, BIAS WW
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps N Whoopies
    The pro fly was my first tarp. Ive upgreaded to a superfly now, but, I carried that thing arround for a long time and it does work pretty well. In bad weather I would hang it low to my hammock and never had a problem with leaking. That being said... It is very heavy for the size tarp it is and does not pack down very well.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bobson View Post
    I recently purchased the dryfly but have only had one chance to use it so far, so I'm not sure how worthwhile my opinion is. Nevertheless, I liked it. There was a bit of a learning curve to set it up (too many cooks in the kitchen), but it was really quite easy. All of the lines have adjustable cinches (probably an incorrect term) that allow you to tighten/slacken the line as necessary to achieve uniform tautness. I ran my hammock suspension through the tree ties of the tarp as was recommended in a couple of places I read, but I definitely recommend that you NOT do that because when you sit in the hammock, it pulls the tarp down upon you.

As to performance, the tarp stayed in place, kept its tautness, and provided dry coverage (I almost said "good" or "great" coverage, but I figure some might complain that that's subjective; point is, it kept me dry and blocked the wind). There was a light rain in the morning, and it was absolutely cozy in my hammock (people on this forum are so right when they say that the best time to be in a hammock is when it rains, it is very peaceful and relaxing). The six lines may indeed be overkill, and the catenary cuts may be deep, but I thought the coverage provided was excellent. The extra lines add a lot of flexibility of setup in my opinion, either to batten down the hatches or open up some airflow to your hammock. As to the cuts, they cut weight, and I feel like they also offer airflow and vision benefits in the hammock that a square tarp would not.

My only complaint with the fly is repacking it; I'm so spoiled by the ease of the Eno pouches, and the tarp is definitely more like a tent that you have to strategically fold in order to refit it in the included pouch, and that takes some time.

Wow, this was too long. Sorry.
    Your reply was not too long at all. I appreciate all of your info. Sounds like you're happy with the DryFly. I have been reading a lot of reviews online and will add your info to the list I have going. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast