Hammock
    HH Hyperlite SideZip
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Nest + SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Have used the HH Hyperlite asym zip for a second season replacing the Expedition Classic (2007). The zip is a better fit for me and the Hyperlite materials still look new. Comfortable hammocks with excellent service from HH.
    illegal is a sick bird....

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Get the free hex tarp upgrade, and ditch the ropes for whoopies ASAP.
    I've been researching hammocks for myself and my son. Pretty much decided on Hennessy. I keep reading about whoopies but still not completely understanding the "whys" of them.

Does "everyone" say to replace the HH ropes with whoopies due to the reduction in weight? Or maybe it's "whoopie" is such a fun word to say? Or is their some other reason?

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip,ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    RB,WS, toggles
    People go to whoopies for the lighter weight and they make it really easy to adjust the hang of the hammock.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDavis500 View Post
    I've been researching hammocks for myself and my son. Pretty much decided on Hennessy. I keep reading about whoopies but still not completely understanding the "whys" of them.

Does "everyone" say to replace the HH ropes with whoopies due to the reduction in weight? Or maybe it's "whoopie" is such a fun word to say? Or is their some other reason?
    I'd add that the Hennessy figure eight lashng technique is a bit cumbersome, especially in cold weather with gloves on. I switched to whoopies, tree huggers with Dutch clips and buckles to make it go easier and quicker. Also, if you are attaching to a "sappy" tree, the separate tree huggers can be isolated from the hammock body when packing up. I have another hammock with rings and webbing too and find that setup also easier than the HH lash. Actually I like the webbing best of all.

Edit: About the weight...sure webbing and rings weigh a bit more than whoopies, but I leave the extra 5oz Snickers bar I was going to take at home and call it even....Nah I bring the Snickers too.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH

I have whoopies on a DIY hammock and they are much easier to put up and adjust. However, when the tree that I was hanging from with my HH lashing fell over, that lashing held! Line broke further down, but lashing held.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

I've yet to actually use whoopie slings. However, I did switch out the suspension option on my Hennessy to the JRB Tri-Glide system, which is easier and faster to adjust. Before finishing my DIY, I also used a strap and ring system, which is the easiest method I've used.

My reasoning is that at the end of a tiring day, I don't want to hassle with tying and retying the Hennessy knot if I can use something that'll allow me to ring the tree and then just adjust to height and tension without having to constantly stop what I'm doing and then redo it.

YMMV, though.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 D
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex 70D
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    The Skeeter Beater Pro is also a starter hammock, but the resale value is in the 30 to 40 dollar range so most people, me included, keep them as a backup or loaner. Hennessy on the other hand is a well respected hammock with a high resale value so most people sell the Hennessy when they upgrade.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies

Whoopies are really cool! Cool to make and to use! Plus you can say I was at home making whoopies. At camp they are kind of a mystery... "are you going to trust yourself to that small rope and how does it hold?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images

Save a couple of ounces plus the cool factor. Basically it's a chinese finger with a loop threaded through it. Loop spliced in the standing end to attach to the hammock.

Personally, I do not like the ideal of changing the Hennessy rope around the hammock. I have tried whoopees on DIY hammocks and fastened to a descender ring clove hitched to my Hennessy. I see the point but am not enough of a gram watcher to want to put up with the fiddle factor. I'm more inclined to switch to long webbing with a buckle and dutch hook or carabiner on the end around the tree. Hook is lighter, usually carry a couple of biners in the canoe. A bit heavier but faster and less fiddling. Heavier is within a couple of ounces for all the setup possibilities.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910