Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by icedfire477 View Post
    Maybe I'm biased because I'm from Asheville, but I love ENOs. I still don't understand how they haven't made improvements in their straps, underquilts, etc. tho
    I've got ENOs, they're nice, I use them as day hammocks as I end up in bug infested places and their nets don't work for me.

I have a Hennessy, it's what got me sleeping in a hammock. I haven't had any quality issues, I had the Mod done for zippers but still prefer the bottom entry. It's a fine hammock.

I prefer the Clark of late, though. With the XL tarp stock, it just feels better to me, but I'm in no way averse to sleeping in the HH.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    H.O.G. see below
    I love mine!!
    Last edited by Randy; 07-12-2012 at 20:42.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Well I have to say Tom Hennessey got me started in hammock camping when I met him at World Scout Jambo in 07. He was my gateway. I still use my Explorer Deluxe. Its still comfortable to me. I think its quality is good. I did have the binding rip off my tarps at the ends when some big winds came through. I just modified them and sewed nylon loops on the ends to hook up the guy lines. HH would have fixed them with no questions asked but I figured why bother when I can do the repair my self and be up and running. Still think the bottom entry is a neat feature. HH even adapted to current trends with the zippered side entry designs.

Derek is right IMO that it was nice to get a complete kit. When I got mine, I got a hex tarp for free (promotion) and it still came with the Asym tarp which made it versatile for packing for dry or wet weather.

Would have been happy with just this kit, but I found this forum, others ideas and comments, seen other products posted and then hammock envy started and the quest fot the perfect gear that suits me. Like Slivrsurfr says.... and the misery begins..........

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Occam's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    I often see the Hennessy Hammock for sale.
    This makes me wonder, is the Hennessy Hammock any good? Do people keep getting Lemons? Why are they for sale so often?
    I think there is a simple explanation: there are more HH units around than any other. They have been around the longest, and has been pointed out they have been very popular. Sales x time = units available. The more hammocks out there, the more there will be for sale.

Conversely, you rarely see some of the cottage brands for sale because they've only got a small customer base.

--Kurt

Personal preference.
    SEO (search engine optimization) - google "hammock" first 'true' manufacture to come up is HH...
    A complete kit that seems appealing but later find out isn't the goldilocks of the bunch (for them).
    Easy come... easy go...
    Decent Marketing efforts.

But me personally, a friend introduced me to the product line, and let me borrow his 'mistake' (a hodge-podged ENO kit) and then let me try the HH, complete, simple, straight-forward light (-enough) and available with a discount via REI...

If you're looking to buy something, never be swayed by the marketing nor the opinions of others, go and try it out - heck I drove 5 hrs to get to an REI just so I could put my hands on one to see if the one I wanted was really what I needed. The internets are only good for so much, and how well you will like something shouldn't be driven by opinions, unless it's your own.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Exp Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    Thermarest NeoAir
    Suspension
    HH Straps
    I would guess you see more HH for sale simply because more people have them and doubtful they are selling something that is defective or broken. More than likely they have stopped camping, grown out of it, no money to travel, etc. Why look for the bad when these reasons and so many others could be the answer or you could email those people that have them for sale and ask them why.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I really like my HH. If it were lighter I'd still be using it on the trail. The UL bug bit and then so did the DIY bug (mostly because if you're not DIY, UL is too pricey) so I still keep it around as a loner and for car camping.

Now I'm looking at DIYing a bridge. If it works out I'll have to go for an UL model.

Never any problems with my HH. It was my first pricey hammock set up. Before that was a Byers of Maine with a DIY bug net my mom had rigged up before I had a sewing machine.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I bought my HH DJ XL used from a member in the For Sale Forum. My first true hammock and I'm very happy with it.

But---

I caught "the bug" and am beginning to experiment with mods to an ENO just to see if I can do it.

Some folks buy a hammock to camp in and leave it at that. Others buy a hammock to camp in and it ends up being a hobby---or perhaps an obsession. One of the reasons I got into hammock camping in the first place was the engineering and imagineering that goes on. What really hooked me was the explanation and illustrations in Derek's book (thanks, Derek).

Eventually, I think I'll get to the point where I'll want a WBBB---OK---I actually DO want a WBBB, but I haven't gotten to the point where I "neeeeeeed" a WBBB. When I get there, finances might dictate that I sell the HH---or one of the grandchildren. As it was when I was colleting militaria, the sale will be made to help finance the next big thing---and I will regret it a few months later.

Anybody want a somewhat smartbutt 10 year old?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 30D
    Insulation
    20*Phoenix,Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling's
    Images
    I’m a new hammock camper I just got the Explorer UL and love it. I went out for a two day hike and it poured rain the whole time. I was dry with the hex fly.
    Also had a great comfortable night sleep. The only mods I’m doing is switching over to the Arrowhead Marlin Spike Hitch Whoopie Kit just for set up convenience. The stock line is fine but there are new easier ways now that make setup faster.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Russ and I bought our HH on ebay so we did not pay full price. That said, we installed whoopies and bought cuben fiber tarps. We also got the mod 4 from Zipper Queen so it barely resembles anything Tom Hennessey designed.

Nevertheless, we love our HH and will use it until it falls apart. After that, who knows? As some member can attest, we get lots of mileage out of our hammocks. As a starter hammock AND not paying full price, you cant go wrong.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast