Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    My bad, I got the Explorer (6'2, 205ish) not the Expedition. Sorry for any confusion.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    So, just how great is the "weight penalty" of a Hennessy hammock, anyway, one with an integrated bug net?

Apples to apples, with what everybody here calls the "suspension" swapped out for whoopie slings?

It is useful to occasionally pare away the crust of received beliefs and attitudes. I really don't know the answer to this question for Hennessy. OT to refer to the weight of a Clark UL with the rope swapped out for a whoopie sling and straps: Comparable to a WBBB or a TTTTG SB. Owners of a couple of those comparable /comfortable (and yes, larger) hammocks would express disbelief, but it wouldn't change the facts, no matter the rep Clark hammocks have for being heavy.

So, how heavy are Hennessy jungle hammocks (w bug net), without the included rope?
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-24-2012 at 21:06.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    So, how heavy are Hennessy jungle hammocks (w bug net), without the included rope?
    Just weighed two of my Deep Jungles. One 'stock' and one with 2QZQ's magic spell #4. Both have only a short piece of the original suspension cord that I use to attach whatever suspension floats my boat. The piece is maybe 5" beyond the sleeve.

Stock: 31.7 ounces
    #4: 33.8 ounces

Those are the facts.
    Trust nobody!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just weighed two of my Deep Jungles. One 'stock' and one with 2QZQ's magic spell #4. Both have only a short piece of the original suspension cord that I use to attach whatever suspension floats my boat. The piece is maybe 5" beyond the sleeve.

Stock: 31.7 ounces
    #4: 33.8 ounces

Those are the facts.
    And for comparison:

Thanks for these facts.
    And for perspective:

Switchback - 1.9 Double Layer
    1.9 Breathable nylon ripstop with a taffeta pad liner. Bugnet is zippered on both sides. At 120" x 52", this hammock only weighs 31 oz.(un-rigged)

source: http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...Categories.bok

Returning to OP's question, some of the reputation for mass of the Hennessey hammocks undoubtedly comes from the bundling of most (all?) of them with tarps; and the default tarps / rainflys sometimes include heavier polyester /polyurethane-sealed ones.
    So, whatever the weight of the hammock, it is always possible to get a lighter package with a lighter tarp, including some from Hennessey. If you can get lighter, than stock must be heavier.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-24-2012 at 21:53. Reason: error on Hennessey package

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    We started with HH expeditions. I have moved to a WBBB but am having trouble getting comfortable in it. May go back to my Hennessy...was comfy from the get go.
    I would not hesitate to recomend Hennessy Hammocks.
    I feel the same -- my zipper model Hennessy Explorer is more comfortable then my WBBB. But I'm not one to sell stuff. I kept mine and gave my WBBB to my son.

I have a brand new Hennessy Explorer bottom entry I haven't even taken out of the box. I'm hopping my other boy will enjoy hanging too when he's older.
    Nothing I do is done by popular demand.
    Steve Martin

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I know the "Made in America" argument but they grew and got big enough that outsourcing was a good option.. it is what it is.

Hennessy Hammocks in NOT a American Company they are Canadian. Unfortunately outsourcing was the only way small companies can stay in business. Hennessy has Copy Rights in several countries, however the business is Canadian.

I have three Hennessy's and my dog has one (the Cub). I sold my first hammock after it sat for a couple of years never out of the package, it was the bottom entry, I was worried about dislocating my knee getting out of it. I purchased a larger hammock with the zip feature, the third Hennessy is the Ultra light, it fits me better, I kind of got lost in the larger hammock.

I made a profit when I sold the first Hennessy, I sold it for $10.00 less than the new price, excluding shipping. It was a win-win, the person that bought it was pleased with the price and the fact that it was brand new, never even opened. I was happy with the deal I made on the up-grade deal I did, for my zip Hennessy.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Stock Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HHSS, JRB WntrNest
    Suspension
    HH Stock Rope
    Images
    I love my HH's, have had them several years, no problems with quality or other.... I live in east/central GA. We, almost, always have 'skeeters etc, so always need the net. I would recommend them to others. I'm a kayaker, not a hiker, weight isn't as important to me as others. but really any hammock is better than sleeping on the ground, great for reducing the pain, so get what you can afford. i started with the HH Deluxe Explorer, have had no complaints so never moved to other brands.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    hennessy
    I have the HH ultralite with upgraded tarp, a larger one. Last outing had heavy rains and not a drop on hammock or what was inside. Very comfortable too.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies

Great Hammocks

I have a HH Explorer, a ENO DN, a GT Single parachute and will be making one. I really really like all three. The HH Explorer is my favorite. I do not know if I would have purchased it before they came out with zippers. I am 6'4" and like to use my big agnes sleeping bag so swangling into the hammock through the bottom and then into the bag sounded like it could be a pain.

I have several scout master friends who each own multiple HHs and have been using them for years now. None of them want to give them up for the next best thing.

Watching all the fuss with gear in my boy scout troop there is alway a wow that looks cooler than what I have feeling going on. But if you look through these boards you will find people who have dumped their WBBB and gone back to an ENO-DN becuase they were not happy. Wow what a shift.

The HH Explorer is a solid product and I don't think you can go wrong with HH. The best thing you can do is borrow a few and try them out. See what fits you best.
    Last edited by DerNageler; 08-30-2012 at 12:30.

Hammock
    Walhalla Maddog 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I bought my wife and I our first hammocks in January 2009 and our Hennesseys are still going strong and are the only hammocks we have ever owned! Maddog
    "Hike Your Own Hike." - Thru-Hiker

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast