Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Are Hennessy Hammocks No Good or Something

I often see the Hennessy Hammock for sale.

This makes me wonder, is the Hennessy Hammock any good? Do people keep getting Lemons? Why are they for sale so often? Poor Quality maybe?

Let me know what you think

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I don't think so (speaking of a Hennessy being a 'lemon'). Hennessy is a solid product. I've never heard of any major failures (an occasional snapped ridge line or hole in the bug net), and most are caused by improper hanging or just use and abuse.

For a lot of people, the Hennessy is a "gateway" hammock. It was my first hammock and I still have it. When you start to see all the other options, people just start moving onward.

I keep my Hennessy around for demos and occasionally loan it out. I find the bug netting a little confining than other built-in bug net hammocks, but it still works and is a fine hammock. I also prefer open hammocks for a variety of reasons, but again, it's just a case of HYOH.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Nothing at all is wrong with Hennessee hammocks. I loved mine when I had it, but I moved on to try different hammocks, sell one to afford another type of thing.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I don't think so (speaking of a Hennessy being a 'lemon'). Hennessy is a solid product. I've never heard of any major failures (an occasional snapped ridge line or hole in the bug net), and most are caused by improper hanging or just use and abuse.

For a lot of people, the Hennessy is a "gateway" hammock. It was my first hammock and I still have it. When you start to see all the other options, people just start moving onward.

I keep my Hennessy around for demos and occasionally loan it out. I find the bug netting a little confining than other built-in bug net hammocks, but it still works and is a fine hammock. I also prefer open hammocks for a variety of reasons, but again, it's just a case of HYOH.
    I like how you called it a "gateway" Hammock

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Well, you know what's _really_ great about the Hennessy? It's an all-in-one system: hammock + bug net + tarp. For me, and I'm sure a lot of others, that makes it an easy solution. I don't think I could have started with hammocks had it not been for the Hennessy. I had never tarp camped before and I liked the "enclosed" feeling of a tent. It took a while to get used to it.

Honestly, I wish more guys who sell camping hammocks (e.g., those with bug nets) would package them with a tarp because for mainstream consumers, it looks like a complete kit, and it is when you compare it to a tent. Why sell a bug net hammock without a matching tarp?

Hennessy was ingenious and used an asym tarp that matched the hammock shape. It is also an inexpensive solution. I think a larger asym tarp or diamond tarp should be standard fair with all camping hammocks sold.

THEN, after you've had your fun with a small tarp, you can upgrade

OR, (again like Hennessy does), up sell your consumers with a larger hex tarp at the point of purchase.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    We started with HH expeditions. I have moved to a WBBB but am having trouble getting comfortable in it. May go back to my Hennessy...was comfy from the get go.
    I would not hesitate to recomend Hennessy Hammocks.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    My husband and I have an HH Safari, DJ XL and an Explorer Ultra-lite, plus we have many other hammocks, but the HH are great hammocks and I will be keeping them. I love the DJ XL, and my husband has been eyeing it. I never should have let him use it. He loves his big Safari and doesn't want to part with it though.

They are great starter hammocks, because they come with everything to start hanging, but you will also find long time hangers still holding on to their Hennesseys.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Here's an observation I made at Trail Days this year:

Along the lane there is this really cool ENO booth. Lots of activity, but people leave asking, "but how do I stay dry? what about bugs?" ENO has tarps, but their booth is all about hammocks. A few spots down the lane is the Hennessy area with three simple pipe stands and a table. The place is crowded ALL WEEK. You can just see the lightbulbs going off because Hennessy is showing off three hammocks with bug nets and tarps COMPLETE.

Hikers are buying up the Hennessy stock like it's going out of style and he sells out in the first few days and gets forwarding addresses for the rest of the hikers who weren't fast enough.

If I were a cottage manufacturer, I'd go to Trail Days with a complete kit.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Hennessy is a top notch company. I think they get a lot of bad press and I don't really get it. I know the "Made in America" argument but they grew and got big enough that outsourcing was a good option.. it is what it is. A lot of people cant afford to have multiple hammocks and therefor when they want to try something out they sell what they had as Raiffnuke said and because Hennessy is available at REI and places alike there a lot easier to get and so become a lot of people first hammocks.

There just as good as any other product out there. Just make sure you get the right one for you. I cant count on my hands how many 6ft plus people got the expedition when they should have got the the explorer for there size. I wish people would stop using the "Before I knew better" comment because it sorda imply's that Hennessy is not a good product. If anything we should praise them, because they have probably put more people in the trees than anyone else. And in the end isn't that what this is all about?

I for one am not racist against any hammock, they all KICK ***!
    All I care about is that this keeps growing and any company that contributes to that I am in full support of!
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Images
    where are these great sales you speak of?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast