Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    There are a couple of things that need to be pointed out about Hennessy. He was one of the pioneers in the business with a very well engineered package. He has continued to improve his products within his parameters. He probably sells more hammocks than the combined total of the cottage industry makers. Maybe well more. Translate that to a reasonable number of folks who do not like hammocks, want something different because it is different, or just like to play around with their gear.

The folks who do not embrace their Hennessy as all they want then need to justify why they bought one but changed their mind.

The mod folks will mod anything they get. It's their nature.

The combined chatter of the two groups generally overwhelms the rest of us who are off sleeping in blissful comfort. ;-)

Still need to schedule a zipper mod though. Breakfast in the hammock just looks so decadent! ;-))

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Hennessy's are "GOOD", and that is why they resale right here on the forum.

The first camping hammock I ever really saw a good close up view of was a HH DJ, and this was when they were brand new. I was intrigued, but wasn't going to drop nearly $300 on something I wasn't sure about. A few weeks later I picked up an Expedition on the 20% sale at REI for around $100.

Within two hangs I was ready to move onto that DJ, mainly because I hadn't learned of this site and underquilt use. I sold the Expedition and bought a Deep Jungle. I moved onto Blackbirds for two reasons: all the hype (love) I heard, but primarily the weight savings.

I ended up with three, because I didn't love the stretch of the 1.7 SL, I loved my 1.1 DL and saw a 1.0 DL that could save me a few more ounces. There I was with three WBBB's in my gear closet, four open hammocks and my Deep Jungle.

I thought I'd never part with the Deep Jungle because I loved the material much more than any of my other hammocks. The truth was...that unless I was car camping I'd never use it again due to the weight penalty. I rarely car camp. With a heavy heart I decided to part with it.

What did that sale allow? Someone else, (a first time poster), so presumably a newish hammock camper to enjoy an excellent product at a modest savings over retail. This was an all-in-one setup for him. It also allowed me to finance a technical fabric TQ...with enough money left over to buy not one, but two never used Hennessy Cubs form my 3 1/2 and 5 year olds.

The Cubs are heavy! Nearly as heavy as my DJ! However, talk about indestructible material! They are built to be abused.

So, I've been the proud owner not one, but four Hennessy Hammocks. IMHO they are all "GOOD" hammocks.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    The mod folks will mod anything they get. It's their nature.

Still need to schedule a zipper mod though. Breakfast in the hammock just looks so decadent! ;-))
    Well said. I'm not one of the mod types, though I did have the zipper mod done on mine. Just fair warning, it's not all it's cracked up to be for me, even though it's a zipper I am very glad I kept the bottom entrance. It's just not the same as my clark as far as getting in and out with the zipper. I can't explain, just different.

I guess I'm saying I would recommend NOT having the bottom sewn up if you're not bothered by the velcro, options are always good.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I still use my Hennessy Explorer Ultralight. And the hex tarp upgrade that I got for no additional charge as a promotion from Hennessy.

I like it; it's comfy, it's roomy, it's not as heavy as my old tent was. On the other hand, my first mod to it was to swap out the suspension; I got tired of tying and retying the figure-8 wrap every time I wanted to adjust the lie of the hammock. Which is, arguably, a feature rather than a bug--Hennessy wanted the simplest connection between the suspension and straps, a laudable goal. Just not one for me.

I'm going to be moving over to a DIY hammock here in a month or two, judging by my bank account and current expenses. Which is not because the Hennessy is a bad hammock; I'm still going to keep it around for the odd trip where I want to use it or to loan it out to a friend. It's because I want features that aren't included in the Hennessy, and that I think I can get my hammock design lighter than the Hennessy by making design compromises that a commercial manufacturer wouldn't be able to for a mass-produced hammock. Plus, it gives me an excuse to tinker. Which, I suppose, in the end, is really the reason to play with DIY.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Winter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I find I can sleep great in my Hennessey and don't miss my CPAP. I have been thinking about hanging it at home and sleeping in it full time.

Hammock
    DIY Sage TCF gathered end
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    ccf fleece down
    Suspension
    DIY webbing/biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    I find I can sleep great in my Hennessey and don't miss my CPAP. I have been thinking about hanging it at home and sleeping in it full time.
    what do you attribute not having to use the cpap to, as in feet higher, lower, always lookin to escape cpappy

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Hennessy hammocks are fine. I own quite a few and my family all use them. For me, I am exploring DIY ultralight hammocks so I don't currently hike one anymore.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

I own 3 hennessy's and I find them all great, both my kids and my better half loved them so much they stole em' from me.

To say they are a lesser product than another makers is complete and utter BS and is always a matter of "Personal Opinion", Cannibal is spot on with regard to Tom H. and his methods as well as the QC.
    Mistakes "Always" happen and is a fact of life and product production but I have had only one issue and Hennessy made it right.

YMMV but I take my kids word for it, and everytime they say they "Love" their hammocks.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

All-in-One and the WOW factor

Derek really gets it right about the benefits of all-in-one. When I camp in an ENO or in a DIY rig, people are interested and ask me about 'em. When I sleep in my Hennessy, they're fascinated. I think the pull-outs and the bottom entry really helps sell the whole package benefit. And I have had many very happy nights in my Hennessy.

But I hate the bottom entry. I'm not modding it because I've got other hammocks I can use, and there's some pleasure in a non-fiddled-with setup. I have even kept the original suspension, even though I have a couple of currently unused whoopies in my gear box. Because, to be honest, Tom Hennessy is a smart guy, and I am still learning from his design. My DIY hammocks are better by learning from his.

I still own, use, and camp with my stock Hennessy--because it is, really, the standard against which I judge all other hammocks. And most of the time, the HH comes out ahead.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I started out with a HH. At the time, Hammockhanger and SGT Rock were using them and I really wanted to try one too. Back then I didn't know there were any other kinds around, lol.

I liked my ULBA, but it also left a bit to be desired. One being that every time I'd get in or out, the velcro would grab some of my hair or pull on my clothing Still, it was a LOT more comfy than sleeping in a tent!

But, as with so many other kinds of gear... one is not enough, lol! My second hammock was a used HH Scout that was without a net.

Eventually, I started modding my ULBA. Got rid of that botton entry and put in a side zip. New suspension (I didn't care for those fig8's).

Really, the only reason I stopped using it is because I made my own double-layered hammock, which was more comfortable to me. Now, my HH is the 'guest hammock'. So far, everyone really likes it!

I recently became the proud owner of my first WB Blackbird (SL 1.1) With the few times I've been able to beat the morning heat and head out back for a few with it, I've fallen in love ~again!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast