Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Hammock Olympics

The 2012 Olympics are right around the corner, so it only makes sense that we have our own Hammock Olympics!

Warm up all you competitive hangers! Now is your chance to compete for the coveted Gold, Silver, and Cuben-fiber "medals" that will be cherished for years to come.

I was inspired after reading a quote on the Hennessy Hammock site about a scout who set up his hammock in 38 seconds. There are no other details about the criteria for this speed record, but I figured we could set up our own event and let the forum score the outcome.

For this olympics, any hammock, tarp, bug net, and insulation style can be used (e.g., bridge hammocks, gathered-end, spreader-bar, full-length UQ, hex tarp, asym, etc.). Use the gear you feel gives you the best competitive advantage. The judging panel (you) will ultimately decide if a competitor should be disqualified for "illegal" gear.

HAMMOCK OLYMPICS 2012

EVENTS

1 - The Dash
    This event is to find out how quickly a hammock can be pitched. Tree webbing straps must be used. This event is all about the hammock alone. How fast can you go from stuff sack to sag? Time ends when the competitor lays in the hammock without the hammock failing.

Can the 38-second barrier be breached? Points for speed, safety, and style.

2 - The Long Throw
    This event is to see how far apart you can hang your hammock without the use of tools or supports (e.g., ladders). Just how far you can reach and safely hang. This event pits the competitor against the natural selection of trees/supports that aren't the ideal distance apart.

Once the hammock is hung, the competitor must enter the hammock. The hammock must not touch the ground. Points for distance, speed, and safety considerations.

3 - The Pitch
    This event pits olympian against Mother Nature. This may be a tough one to compete in because it _requires_ wet weather. The competitor must pitch a tarp in wet weather (doesn't have to be a gale; drizzly rain works, or a well-placed sprinkler or hose) as quickly as possible. Time stops when the competitor sits under the tarp. No hammock needs to be hung.

Points for speed, safety, and ability for competitor to stay dry under pitched tarp.

4 - Hammock Pentathlon
    This is the ultimate, most coveted event in the Hammock Olympics. The competitor must put together a complete hammock system, including:

* Tarp
    * Hammock
    * Bug net (can be integrated)
    * Top insulation (e.g., sleeping bag, top quilt)
    * Bottom insulation (e.g., pad, under quilt)

Once all the elements are properly hung, the competitor must lay in the hammock and get in the insulation, protected under the bug net and tarp.

Having a videographer for this event is helpful.

Points for each element, speed, style (e.g., taut pitch tarp, good sag in the hammock if applicable, "porch mode", winter mode, etc.), and safety. For example, someone might earn points for style with a fairly quickly pitched "porched" hex tarp and _tie_ with someone who just pitched a wicked fast asym tarp.

# # #

HOW TO COMPETE
    The Hammock Olympics begins NOW through the end of the regular summer 2012 olympics (Sunday, August 12, 2012). You have time to train and practice and post your best entry.

You can post ONE (1) video per event. After the scoring is complete, the high-scoring competitors will have a final match-up to determine the olympians.

Entries must be _uncut_ VIDEOs posted publicly and then linked here on the forums. The judges (you) will determine if the videos have been edited or retouched in such a way that would disqualify the entry.

SCORING
    All events are scored on a 1-10 scale. Voting is open to forum members. Competitors cannot vote. Points should be awarded for 1) successfully accomplishing the goal (e.g, speed, distance, etc.), 2) safety, 3) use of standard protections and practices (e.g., tree webbing straps, LNT practices), 4) creativity, and 5) presentation.

We will start four (4) new threads for each event. Post your video entry in that thread. Judges must enter their score next to the handle of the competitor, like this:

> dejoha - 9.5

If you judge an entry, you must score ALL competitors so the points will be fair.

Scores will be tallied in a Google spreadsheet for all to view.

The top 4 scores will be entered into the final match to determine the winners.

SAFETY
    It must be stressed that this is not a Jack *** competition. Points are awarded for safe practices. Unsafe or extremely risky hangs (e.g., over canyons, high hangs, etc.) may disqualify the competitor and their entry removed. Undue risk is not "style," it's "stupid."

AWARDS
    I'm still figuring that out. Probably some hammock gear I have in my closet that is colored gold, silver, and cuben-fiber Plus a home-made medallion. How's that?

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    This sounds like fun. I might have to give this a shoot.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DN/DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    This sounds wicked sweet!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Hmm.... This could be fun...
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images

Awesome!!!

Personaly, I am in no way good enough to compete in any of these events, but I am totally looking forward to seeing what you all are doing--and then spending the rest of 2012 tweaking my setup

What a cool idea!
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    Brilliant idea!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This sound awesome! Good luck everyone!

Fronkey
    Last edited by Fronkey; 07-12-2012 at 18:48.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Personaly, I am in no way good enough to compete in any of these events, but I am totally looking forward to seeing what you all are doing--and then spending the rest of 2012 tweaking my setup

What a cool idea!
    I'm with Tim on this one... I think the pentathlon will be an all in one stuff sack system, but I could be surprised...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Cant wait to watch the entries!

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I know I have no shot in the dash but I may give the long throw a try. I have the whoopies for it if only I was tall enough to reach high enough in the tree to use the full extent of my whoopies.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast