Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

How do you save weight on your hammock setup?

While we weigh the pros and cons of a gram weenie subsection, I thought I'd start a thread on how everyone saves weight for their kits. What special tricks do you do?

Here are some things I do:
    - Use cord instead of webbing for hammock supports (still use tree huggers)
    - Use insulated hammock to eliminate a full layer of DWR
    - Use torso-only insulation for underquilt/insulated hammock, with a CCF pad for the feet insulation (since CCF under my torso is not comfortable to me, and I like carrying a sit pad now anyway)
    - Use a hammock w/o bug net in winter
    - Use zip-ties instead of tying a knot on Speer-types (whipping is about the same)
    - Thinking of sewing loops onto the hammock to attach the underquilt to...would eliminate a lot of shock cord.

Of course, I've started adding things back into my pack to compensate for the weight I've saved...like ring buckles for the garda hitch, biners for the tree huggers, etc. But that means I get extra functionality for the same weight I was carrying before...fair trade for me.

So what do y'all do? Let's hear some ideas!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    One way that I save weight in the winter is by wearing my insulated clothing layers to sleep in. That allows me to use a much lighter top quilt while still sleeping warmly.

Also, a hammock sock or weather cover that encloses the hammock can be a big help. By cutting the wind and trapping body heat it can make a huge boost in temp for minimal weight.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 09-05-2008 at 19:55.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been leaving my stuffsacks at home. Everything seems to get comressed because i usually bring too much food. I have been switching to the tiny cord locks on my quilts. And I will bring a only as much tarp as needed.

I find it very helpful to have a huge assortment of gear to choose from. Not only does it keep my weight down it also justifies my gear addiction.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    lots of gear justifies gear addiction
    gear addiction justifies lots of gear

I like it!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Jeff and Dutch, good ideas in the quest to save weight. And, Angrysparrow, the sock idea works great too under certain weather conditions. Here are a few additional things I've done to lighten my hammock set.

Warm weather:
    Make a hammock from thin-guage nylon. My 10-foot long, 5-foot wide hammock weighs 4.75 ounces. It holds my 175 lb. weight just fine.
    The mosquito net is made of the same thin material, also 4.75 ounces.
    Secure the mosquito net at each end and in the center of the ridge line with simple knots, saving the weight on any clip-type hardware.
    The mosquito net is simply draped over a ridge line; the net seals out the mosquitos all on its own, since it clings over the sides of the hammock.
    A lightweight poncho doubles as a tarp over the hammock. In rainy conditions, this setup is leakproof.
    However, the poncho on its own is a bit too short for windy rain.
    My next move will be to shorten the hammock, so the poncho

Cool weather:
    Insert the hammock through a sleeping bag, so you are lying in the hammock, surrounded by the bag.
    This negates the need for an underquilt and the gadgetry to hold it in place.
    Use a thin piece of foam between the bottom of the hammock and the bottom of the sleeping bag. The foam I use is less than 1/4 inch thick.
    Using this foam, I keep warm at +40F in a 40 degree bag, and I've used it comfortably at +23F in a 25-degree bag.
    The foam is 20x70 inches and weighs a mere 4 ounces. I guess I could cut it down to save a couple of ounces.

For a suspension system I use 1-inch by 10-foot webbing with double rings at each end. I can always look into some of the weight-savings possible with the suspension system, such as aluminum instead of steel rings, and maybe some thin cord instead of only webbing.

Now, aside from taking less food and keeping a good supply of that dehydrated water on hand, one other biggie as far as saving weight is to lose a few pounds and take less body weight. But somehow, that seems to be the toughest goal to achieve.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Jeff and Dutch, good ideas in the quest to save weight. And, Angrysparrow, the sock idea works great too under certain weather conditions. Here are a few additional things I've done to lighten my hammock set.

Warm weather:
    Make a hammock from thin-guage nylon. My 10-foot long, 5-foot wide hammock weighs 4.75 ounces. It holds my 175 lb. weight just fine.
    The mosquito net is made of the same thin material, also 4.75 ounces.
    Secure the mosquito net at each end and in the center of the ridge line with simple knots, saving the weight on any clip-type hardware.
    The mosquito net is simply draped over a ridge line; the net seals out the mosquitos all on its own, since it clings over the sides of the hammock.
    A lightweight poncho doubles as a tarp over the hammock. In rainy conditions, this setup is leakproof.
    However, the poncho on its own is a bit too short for windy rain.
    My next move will be to shorten the hammock, so the poncho

Cool weather:
    Insert the hammock through a sleeping bag, so you are lying in the hammock, surrounded by the bag.
    This negates the need for an underquilt and the gadgetry to hold it in place.
    Use a thin piece of foam between the bottom of the hammock and the bottom of the sleeping bag. The foam I use is less than 1/4 inch thick.
    Using this foam, I keep warm at +40F in a 40 degree bag, and I've used it comfortably at +23F in a 25-degree bag.
    The foam is 20x70 inches and weighs a mere 4 ounces. I guess I could cut it down to save a couple of ounces.

For a suspension system I use 1-inch by 10-foot webbing with double rings at each end. I can always look into some of the weight-savings possible with the suspension system, such as aluminum instead of steel rings, and maybe some thin cord instead of only webbing.

Now, aside from taking less food and keeping a good supply of that dehydrated water on hand, one other biggie as far as saving weight is to lose a few pounds and take less body weight. But somehow, that seems to be the toughest goal to achieve.

Biggest change I've made in recent years is maintaining a low bodyfat level. Makes a world of difference on the trail. Hard to rationalize worrying about a gram or two when you can't see your trail runners due to your gut.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Rats....didn't mean to quote that post.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Cuben Fiber Tarp and 1/2 quilt gave me the biggest weight savings

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Do you have any close-ups of your tarp's tie-outs and ridgeline? Did you sew or use tape?

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Bah, forgot to say how I save weight. Just switching from a tent to a hammock saved me some weight. I have cut down what I carry also. I use to take a change of clothes for each day. Now I carry hiking clothes, camp clothes and some emergency cold weather clothes and that's it. I leave a change of clothes in the car for after I'm done.

Last trip I added weight by getting longer straps, but I'll take sleep comfort over hiking comfort anyday.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast