Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

DIY UQ fit problems

I made a DIY UQ out of a cheap target rectangle sleeping bag.

I did channels down all 4 sides out of 2" grossgrain, and ran 1/8" shockcord down the 2 long sides.

I then took 1/16" shock cord, and used it in the short sides to be able to cinch everything tight.

The finished product doesn't look half bad

The problem is, it's not sitting snug up to my back/butt when I'm in the hammock, there's a good 2" gap in the center.

I've been messing with it for 2 hours, and still can't eliminate it, any suggestions?

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    That's something you're going to have to play with for a while. the main problem is that a comfortable position in your hammock requires a diagonal lay, while the UQ is essentially a straight rectangle; so they don't align too well to each other. Try playing with the long side cords, tightening them may help a bit. I actually sewed buttons and loops on to my DIY UQ and to the hammock for a more secure placement of the UQ. It helped me a lot. have someone locate the points where the attachments will go, while you are laying in it for a more precise fitting. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Thanks for the reply, I do think it's a problem with the length of the UQ suspension. I'm going to keep playing around with it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had the same issue when I made my sleeping bag UQ
    you need to add secondary suspension

at the top is the main suspension shock cord , but I added loops on each corner and added a second shock cord (thats the one with the knot in the middle ) these pull the ends of the UQ out and snug it up quite nice.
    the bottom cord lock is to cinch up the ends

I hope this makes sense.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I think you well get better results and no gap if you reinforce the corners and pull out and up from those corners with shock cord. pulling the quilt against the bottom. The shock cord running through the side channels aids abets the sage.

Or, cut 2" wide windows in the side channels midway on both sides so you have access to the "guts", the shock cord.

Now hang those shock cord of hooks you sew to the hems of the hammock where the windows appear. You're now supported in the middle, where there had previously been a gap.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I had the same issue when I made my sleeping bag UQ
    you need to add secondary suspension

at the top is the main suspension shock cord , but I added loops on each corner and added a second shock cord (thats the one with the knot in the middle ) these pull the ends of the UQ out and snug it up quite nice.
    the bottom cord lock is to cinch up the ends

I hope this makes sense.
    It makes sense.. I think.. but I do want to clarify before I pull out the thread injector again.

So, you have 2 "triangles" of suspension running on each end of the UQ, all leading up to 1 attachment point on the hammock suspension? The outside lines are channeled to allow you to adjust the location of the UQ, but the inside ones are fixed?

I've kinda got it adjusted to where it's snug on my back, butt, and thighs, but on both ends, there is literally a sudden drop where 10-12" is hanging below the hammock. Running the second lines as you suggest would solve it, I just want to make sure I understand it correctly before I start another epic battle with the injector. (It hates sewing grossgrain)

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

Or, cut 2" wide windows in the side channels midway on both sides so you have access to the "guts", the shock cord.
    I'm going to try this first, it would accomplish the same thing, and only takes a pair of scissors, and a bic lighter (to seal the cut) If it solves the problem, I'll be able to go back through and reinforce the "windows" if fraying becomes an issue.

Thank you all for the help, I'll post back over the weekend with how it's working, to dark out now to mess with it.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Try some triangle thingys if you have a ridge line, they will help pull the quilt in the vertical direction. Also might try some thicker shock cord than 1/8. If it a heavy bag, it might be too heavy for the cord.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    It makes sense.. I think.. but I do want to clarify before I pull out the thread injector again.

So, you have 2 "triangles" of suspension running on each end of the UQ, all leading up to 1 attachment point on the hammock suspension? The outside lines are channeled to allow you to adjust the location of the UQ, but the inside ones are fixed?

I've kinda got it adjusted to where it's snug on my back, butt, and thighs, but on both ends, there is literally a sudden drop where 10-12" is hanging below the hammock. Running the second lines as you suggest would solve it, I just want to make sure I understand it correctly before I start another epic battle with the injector. (It hates sewing grossgrain)
    Yes there are 2 lines (triangles of suspension)
    The main (outside) runs through gross gain the length of the UQ
    I sewed a tab in each corner - the one side is tied with a knot - the other(which you can't see in my pictures) is actually looped through the tab and has a toggle to adjust it.

perhaps this pic can give you a better idea - you see the shock line with the knot --- the other side is actually on a plastic toggle to adjust it.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Snug it up more. Sometimes you'll lift the empty hammock. Once you properly tension the long sides, then fiddle w/ the head and foot ends. Normally a gentle snugging is all thats needed to get a good seal. Dont crank the ends!!

If your quilt is too narrow, it may be difficult to get a good fit. What are the dimensions?

Heavier quilts sometimes need additional support. Adding a shockcord that is midway on the quilt and then passes over the hammock rl.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast