Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about camping with pets

Hey all, do any of y'all camp and/or hike with your dogs? I have a 70 pound pit bull who already kicks me out of my own bed at home and I'm assuming would do the same if I were willing to even try to put him in my hammock and I'm wondering if anyone here has taken their dog with them? If so; what is your set up for your dog? Where do they sleep? What gear do you bring specifically for your dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    There are several threads that talk about camping, backpacking and hammocking with dogs. There are also dog specific DIY projects and commercially available gear.

Pet Palace from Cave Creek Hammocks https://squareup.com/store/cave-cree...tem/pet-palace

Thread discussing DIY pup tent https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ew-dog-shelter

Lengthy thread about hammock camping with a dog https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ing-with-a-dog

My wife and I hike and camp with our two dogs. They love it and are a lot of fun on the trail. You need to make sure they're secure, warm enough, protected from insects, have enough food, have enough water... every consideration and precaution you take for yourself out there has to be considered and accounted for your dog as well.

Good luck and have fun with your pup out there!

Thanks for the links. This is my first forum and I generally am on it via my phone so I'm still learning how to use it and I'm not sure how to search for specific topics.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE409 View Post
    Thanks for the links. This is my first forum and I generally am on it via my phone so I'm still learning how to use it and I'm not sure how to search for specific topics.

If you go to the home page https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/content.php there is a Google search bar, and it's a pretty good tool to search the site. You might try "backpacking with dogs" or "hiking with dogs" or "hammocking with dogs"

It's discussed fairly frequently because we all love our fur babies haha. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks! And yea anytime I go anywhere I have that guilty little voice in the back of my head telling me I should have brought my pup. Any tips on using the Tapatalk app?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    That I can't help you with, sorry. I'm more of a laptop guy so I use the website with full functionality. I tried Tapatalk but it confused me so I uninstalled it lol

That's what I'm having problems with currently. I don't have a laptop anymore so for now at least I'm stuck with the app.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If I had a 70 lb pit, he would carry my backpack and possibly me too
    I like to take my dog (40 lb I'm guessing blue heeler) in the summer because he can just lay on the ground. I think he would do great with a doggie pack too but I just have bothered getting one yet. I went out last weekend in very cold conditions and wanted to take him but I didn't have the right set up for him to stay warm. Had I have been tent camping I would've taken him for sure. I sure did miss having another being around. And you can curse a dog in the right voice and they will still love you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Yea I plan on getting him his own pack and everything. Mostly I'm trying to think up ways of keeping him comfortable at night. I like bringing him with me when I go places and it makes it hard to go camping because I have to find someone to watch him that I trust to do it well.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Mine is on the ground beside my hammock. She has a pad made from a small piece of Thinlight pad with a Tyvec "pillow case". I have made her an insulated jacket along with a piece of fleece that I can put under the jacket for the cooler weather. I got the pattern from Greenpepper; easy to sew one up. I also, made my pup a rain shell out of left over WP material. She is probably small enough (38 pounds) to be in the hammock with me, but I have not tried that. I do tether her, so that she will not take off after a coyote. She carries her own small pack, a Ruffwear Singletrak. It is large enough for her to carry dishes and treats. I expect with a pit, you would definitely need a dog jacket even in the 50's, since they have pretty short hair. She loves her pack! Dogs are the ultimate backpacking partners!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast