Hennessy 'Deep Jungle' (Zip)
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator/UK Hmx
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Uk Thread

Now, the last thing I want to do is to seem to erect any sort of barrier to the current seamless blend of anglo-american brotherly/sisterly harmony....

...but, as the glory that is Hammock Forums is a US driven operation, I thought that it might be a nice idea to have a little slice of Blighty for us Brits to moan about the lack of wild spaces in our little island, or about how much it costs to import some of the cool stuff everyone talks about on this here chatscape. So I propose a UK hammock thread for anyone who has a particularly stiff upper lip and who wants to talk about stuff that is specific to those of us who just get confused when we hear 'Our Country 'tis of Thee.'

We can talk about the weather, and crumpets, and only fools and horses, and peanut butter and jam sandwiches...

Actually, the main thing I am interested in doing is some kind of joint hang-type trip over on this side of the pond. I would very much love to get over stateside for one of our brethren's regular ventures but, alas, funds be tight! So Dartmoor, or Scotland, or somewhere else.

So whaddayall think? Worth a shot?

I'll meet you all in the dog and chicken pub by the cider press at the bottom of Nempnet-Thrubwell high street and we can all have some warm beer and scampi fries, play snooker and eat pickled eggs (actually that sounds a lot more appealing than it was meant to).

Sig out!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
    Actually, the main thing I am interested in doing is some kind of joint hang-type trip over on this side of the pond.
    By all means! This type of thing is more than acceptable, it's encouraged! Get something put up in the Hangout subfourm and I bet you'll have some DD users show up for a hang.

This stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
    We can talk about the weather, and crumpets, and only fools and horses, and peanut butter and jam sandwiches...
    ...I'll meet you all in the dog and chicken pub by the cider press at the bottom of Nempnet-Thrubwell high street and we can all have some warm beer and scampi fries, play snooker and eat pickled eggs (actually that sounds a lot more appealing than it was meant to).
    ...well, you might consider becoming a Donating Member if you want to talk about things not 'hammock'.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator/UK Hmx
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Cool, I'll do that. Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Great idea; the UK is so much closer than the US. Pretty sure that other European hangers (not just UK) would be interested as well. I've never checked the Hangout section since I knew that everything happens on the other side of the pond

Maybe a mailinglist for interested people might be a good idea in the beginning, since we don't have the same numbers of hangers over here? It would be easier to keep track of things.

Hammock
    UKHammocks - Woodsman X (Double)
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    3/4 quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What a great idea! A joint hang, without trespassing, now wouldn't that be strange. Usually it's wild camping or the back garden that I get to hang. Have you checked out bushcraftuk? They often arrange group hangs, not that I've managed to get to one yet.
    Still the weathers rather clement at the mo' and I've just ordered Jeeves to hurry up with my crumpets, lol.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator/UK Hmx
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Maybe a mailinglist for interested people might be a good idea in the beginning, since we don't have the same numbers of hangers over here? It would be easier to keep track of things.
    Ok, how would you suggest setting that up? I have just spent the last 2 days getting to grips with using forums again. I'm not amazingly computer literate.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, to be honest, you could probably do it by opening one dedicated thread here - something like "updates on UK/European hangs". People who are interested can subscribe to the thread. It would work as long as updates would be posted in that thread. Organization for a specific hang would of course happen in another thread (link to be posted in the "updates" thread).

For a mailing list, Google Groups (search "google groups" on Google) works pretty well, and it's simple to use. You need to sign up with Google for a so-called "Google account". If you're using Gmail, you just need to login with that handle. After that, just create a Group. It's not pretty, although a lot of people use it as a forum. I find that it works best for mailinglists, since people can sign up and enter their preferences - or they can unscubscribe any time they want.

I see this only as an easy way to alert interested people that there is something happening. Easiest would of course be a "Hangout Europe" subforum, since you could subscribe to monitor. But I guess it needs a lot more activity in order for the mods to create something like that.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator/UK Hmx
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Right, I'll look into it.

I have been told about a UK-based forum that organises UK hangouts so I may check that out too (bushcraftUK).

Thanks for all the help so far.

Sig.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps

Skaho

Here are going on about Scandinavian hang out in Sweden
    It's not exactly in the UK, but in Europe, Siggy might be interested.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Is there maybe a calendar with all the group hangs in it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast