Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

"Looped" Whipping?

A few weeks ago, I made my first DIY hammock, nothing special, just 126" of "Sample Fabric" from the clearance rack at walmart. All I know of this fabric is it's calendered, and it holds my weight, and made a nice proof of concept for my wife to allow me buying mats from DIY gear supply to make a good one.

Well, the order came in from DIY, and part of it is 4yds of 1.9 oz ripstop 2nds.
    After doing simple folded hems (not rolled, I'm not that skilled with a T.I. just yet ) all the way around, and channels, I'm left with 140" of fabric.

My problem is, I'm 6' even, and 200lbs. I know it's about 3ft longer then it needs to be, but I don't want to cut it. So what I did was make a loop out of the fabric, and then whip it.

I then used amsteel, with a fig-8 on a bight on the end, and ran it through the loop with a larks head. (See pic above)

I'm doing this for 2 reasons, #1 because I want to keep testing various lengths, and folding methods for the ends before committing to cutting the fabric, and #2 because it solves a simple lingering paranoia in the back of my head: That the larks head will slip, and I'm gonna hit the deck hard.

However, I'm not sure if this method will hold, the whipping is tight, but I know with a standard whipping, or channel end that the whipping itself holds no weight. I'm no engineer, but my head says folded like this, the whipping is holding weight. For that matter, I may be creating a weak point for the fabric itself to fail.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Should I just stick to looping the larks head below the whipping?

Any advice you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

-Justin

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I have not tried your method before, but I worry that your folded fabric will slip out of the whipping, spilling you on the ground. I would recommend placing the larks head below the whipping as most people do. I like your idea of changing the length of the hammock with the whipping until you find your ideal length.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    A few weeks ago, I made my first DIY hammock, nothing special, just 126" of "Sample Fabric" from the clearance rack at walmart. All I know of this fabric is it's calendered, and it holds my weight, and made a nice proof of concept for my wife to allow me buying mats from DIY gear supply to make a good one.

Well, the order came in from DIY, and part of it is 4yds of 1.9 oz ripstop 2nds.
    After doing simple folded hems (not rolled, I'm not that skilled with a T.I. just yet ) all the way around, and channels, I'm left with 140" of fabric.

My problem is, I'm 6' even, and 200lbs. I know it's about 3ft longer then it needs to be, but I don't want to cut it. So what I did was make a loop out of the fabric, and then whip it.

http://youtu.be/AJlEQpcbM1I

I then used amsteel, with a fig-8 on a bight on the end, and ran it through the loop with a larks head. (See pic above)

I'm doing this for 2 reasons, #1 because I want to keep testing various lengths, and folding methods for the ends before committing to cutting the fabric, and #2 because it solves a simple lingering paranoia in the back of my head: That the larks head will slip, and I'm gonna hit the deck hard.

However, I'm not sure if this method will hold, the whipping is tight, but I know with a standard whipping, or channel end that the whipping itself holds no weight. I'm no engineer, but my head says folded like this, the whipping is holding weight. For that matter, I may be creating a weak point for the fabric itself to fail.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Should I just stick to looping the larks head below the whipping?

Any advice you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

-Justin
    I did a crinkle taffeta tablecloth in a very similar fashion. What I did that was a bit different though was instead of larksheading the amsteel loop, I did a modified sheet bend which seemed more secure to me and less likely to slip out of the whipping. I actually whipped mine after doing the sheet bend because I didn't like all of that loose fabric hanging out loose. Just looked neater, it doesn't add any strength at all.

Here's a video that helped me to visualize the sheet bend method. I used the W fold method, but it can be folded like a fan or just gathered if you like. It's pretty easy to undo it and redo it.

Video Link

I use carabiners on both ends and Kammock Python straps which makes set up and break down fast. This isn't meant to be light weight.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hanging from your style of whipping/folding can be done. Typically called a sheetbend, from the sailors use of bending the sail/sheet around the rope and securing. Or is it the rope around the sheet? or the chicken? or the egg?

My experience is that if you decide to undo the bend and rehang the hammock long again..the fabric will be stressed at the bend and whipping points and could fail.

Your experience may vary. Just a caveat.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Hanging from your style of whipping/folding can be done. Typically called a sheetbend, from the sailors use of bending the sail/sheet around the rope and securing. Or is it the rope around the sheet? or the chicken? or the egg?

My experience is that if you decide to undo the bend and rehang the hammock long again..the fabric will be stressed at the bend and whipping points and could fail.

Your experience may vary. Just a caveat.
    sheet bend! I knew it had a name. Thank you, that was driving me nuts

I undid the bend, and am just using regular channels once again. It's 11' long, and I'm 6' tall, so it's huge for me. But it's comfy

• + New Posts