Tarp
    Speer 8x10 CatTarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    webbing & cinch
    Images

first night hanging

Just had my first overnight trip using my new (actually used) Hennessey Expedition, in Rock Castle Gorge, VA. My friends told me it would be around 65-70* during the night, so all i took was an afghan to cover up with. The hike and the hang were both awesome. I was extremely comfortable in my hammock, but i didn't get the sleep i had desired. It turned out to be extremely windy, and i guess i am a light sleeper. All things considered, I had a great first trip and will continue to hang for sure. Although we did get in trouble with the National Parks Service for not having a backcountry camping permit, and we also made a fire, so all 6 of us got charged $75. lesson learned.
    "I leave here believing more than I had, this love has got no ceiling" - Eddie Vedder

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Was the lack of sleep just the wind or did it get colder than your friends had predicted?
    Better check for those fire bans WOW, that's an expensive lesson, but better than have that lesson than let a fire get away from you & have to live with the guilt.
    Two weeks after I was camping in Linville Gorge, NC a few years back, some campers let their fire get into the woods & burned several thousand acres of wilderness area.
    We had had a camp fire when we were there but we shouldn't have because of the dry conditions.
    After the wild fire moved over the gorge a couple weeks later, it caused me to make a commitment that I would not be have a camp fire in dry places like that. I would sure hate to have been the reason for that fire in Linville Gorge.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Was it a fire ban or was there just no fires allowed there?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Congrats on your first field night in a hammock!

It's pretty normal to sleep light like that your first several nights in a hammock. Lots of folks do it. Actually, lots of folks still sleep light the first couple nights of each trip, too - I know I do, depending on how many miles I've hiked that day.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I know I’m not much of a camper, and don’t sleep well my first couple of nights out. The hammock has nothing to do with it. A tent would certainly not be any better.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    I wonder if the fire ban would include stoves? I use a Bushbuddy that is technically a fire but it is the size of a stove.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good question - "Self-contained" is usually the criteria rangers use in fire ban situations. Whether or not a Bushbuddy is self-contained may be largely up to the ranger deciding on your ticket, though! Some parks may actually specify in the regs, so it's probably worth asking for clarification if you're worried about it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    It's pretty normal to sleep light like that your first several nights in a hammock. Lots of folks do it. Actually, lots of folks still sleep light the first couple nights of each trip, too - I know I do, depending on how many miles I've hiked that day.
    So true. I also sleep light the first night when on a trip, but not because of cold or uncomfortable, just feels weird. To fix this i just make sure that when i go to sleep I'm really tired. In my room that doesn't happen though.

Anyway whatnowmitch, im happy for you.
    As some say around here, happy hanging!
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sometimes I have to wear earplugs to quiet the din of frogs.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    Just had my first overnight trip using my new (actually used) Hennessey Expedition, in Rock Castle Gorge, VA. My friends told me it would be around 65-70* during the night, so all i took was an afghan to cover up with. The hike and the hang were both awesome. I was extremely comfortable in my hammock, but i didn't get the sleep i had desired. It turned out to be extremely windy, and i guess i am a light sleeper. All things considered, I had a great first trip and will continue to hang for sure. Although we did get in trouble with the National Parks Service for not having a backcountry camping permit, and we also made a fire, so all 6 of us got charged $75. lesson learned.

That's a great hike. I took that trip last year and had a great time. (That's where my avatar picture was taken). There wasn't a fire ban though, and I did stop for the permit, so didn't have the same trouble you did. Did you do the full loop?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast