Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Missouri Hang 25 & 26 August

Hi everyone, I'm planning an over-nighter in Eastern Missouri the 25th of August. I'm planning on going solo but would love some company. Plan is to hike Saturday, do an overnight hang and hike back out on Sunday. I haven't settled on a location yet but I've narrowed it down to Cathedral Canyon, Rock Pile Wilderness, Taum Sauk Falls, or Hawn State Park. I'm planning on 5 or less miles each day. I love hiking but also like hanging out at camp. I'll invite my 13 year old son to come along if he wants but won't count on it . He's come a few times and uses a one man tent.

Cathedral Canyon is a really neat place. I've been there one time. The only challenge there is the access road which can be a real mess if there's been lot's of rain. If you've never been to Hawn State Park we can go there. Access is good and the area along Pickle Creek is great.

So if you'd like to join me, send a message and we'll make the plans.

I'm not the fastest hiker, 51 years old with a rough knee, but I do okay and I've been working out so I won't be a snail either I'd like to meet some other guys who like to backpack/hammock camp so if you're interested let me know. If need be we can move this up to the weekend before it that works better for you.

Enjoy your day
    Gideon

are you talking north or South of STL
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Hello Ewker, I'm talking south of St. Louis. In fact, depending on location several of the areas I mentioned are actually southwest of Perryville MO where I live.

I've always wanted to go to Rock Pile Wilderness. Few go there and there really isn't much in the way of marked trails but if you pull a map of it up on the internet you'll see it touches the St. Francis river at the southwest corner of the area. Always wanted to try and hike to that point, camp and hike out.

There are a lot of good places to the West and Southwest of Perryville. Hawn State Park is a bit further North than Perryville but still S. West of St. Louis. hawn has great trails and some nice scenery.

I'm going...it's only a question of where and if anyone else wants to come. Let me know if you're interested.

Gideon

Hi Gideon,

Hamhocker is from St Louis so she was curious as to where some of these places were. After we Googled them she goes oh yeah that is close Sam Baker State park where her family would go in the summer time.

Wish we could join you on this trip
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    There's always the next time. I'll post when I get to go and others are always welcome. I've always done a lot of solo hiking, hunting, fishing, etc. but thought it be nice to meet some other folks with the same interests. Most of my friends/colleagues from work camp in high end campers they pull

I don't blame them and probably would if I could afford it but it's not my style. I like to slip in, blend in, I like the quiet and peace of the woods. So I think it would be fun to meet some other folks who hang to enjoy the woods with and it would be compatible to all be hanging. I've taken my son before and he uses a one man tent so you have to let that drive your camp site, etc.

Take care...
    Gideon

• + New Posts