Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark North American xl

Can't tie a knot.... How do I hang my Clark?

G'day,

I recently ordered a Clark Nth American Hammock and can honestly say I know nothing about hammock camping. Before I ordered I had looked at your great forum and decided to go this way on things people had said and because I was a bit sick of tents as the areas I go tend to be rocky and nothing you put underneath you can stop you from feeling like the princess and the pea.

So I have an issue. I am hopeless with knots. I spent a couple of hours looking up knots and trying to do them. I went outside and played with the hammock trying to work it out.... I just can't do knots. I was considering going away for a few days at the start of next week so I am trying t work this out...

If I have to learn knots then I will but I'm sure someone out there must know what I'm going through? It also did not have any instructions in the box so I am going off a youtube video I saw. For the cost to get one to Australia I'm sort of pretty peeved that it didn't come with some substantial instructions.

What ideas have you guys had?

Dare I say.... Should I give up and go back to a tent?

TIA,
    Xav.

No, you shouldn't let that deter you from heaven in the back country. If you look under the corner of your tarp there is a diagram there that explains how to tie the knot. Once you practice that a few times, you should be able to do it in the dark. The bowline knot is pretty easy to tie. Also, you should have gotten a booklet with your hammock. I know mine did. Get back in touch with Clark and they will send you one if you didn't get yours.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Another option is to modify the suspension system to a ring or cinch buckle system. Dinch buckle will do away with knots altogether and the ring buckle usually just needs a half hitch in any. Obviously that would take some time as you would need to get the parts to do that. You'll probably end up making a suspension mod anyway so you might want to read through that section of the forum.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Another option would be to try the 4 wrap system that speer uses. No knots involved and works very well. http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/speerknot.htm Personally, I didn't much like the rope that came with the Clark. Had I kept mine, I would have replaced that with a system of cords, tree straps and rings. Makes setting up much easier and as mentioned above, no knots to remember!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Except now since I have a Clark, I can tie a bowline in my sleep with my eyes closed (hope I never have to, though - that would infer problems in the middle of the night!)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Except now since I have a Clark, I can tie a bowline in my sleep with my eyes closed (hope I never have to, though - that would infer problems in the middle of the night!)
    time to up the ante and learn to tie it in your sleep, with your eyes closed, and with one hand.

After that you can learn it the way the Navy Seals do, all of the above plus under water.

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Or try something totally different

But the knots really are pretty easy once you get used to 'em.
    Keep trying.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Animatedknots.com is a very good site for learning new knots.

FishinFinn, I didn't realize the large figure 9 would support a person's weight. I might have to give that a shot. I use the small ones for my tie-outs and ridgeline for the tarp. What's a couple more?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Animatedknots.com is a very good site for learning new knots.

FishinFinn, I didn't realize the large figure 9 would support a person's weight. I might have to give that a shot. I use the small ones for my tie-outs and ridgeline for the tarp. What's a couple more?
    I've got a couple of those. They weigh a little over an ounce each, if memory serves. There are some really heavily biting teeth in the grab slot. In a thread that was active last summer (sorry, can't remember the name) people were exploring geehaws to attach their suspension rope to tree huggers and this one was looked at. As I recall it is certainly sturdy enough, but at least one person reported that those teeth chewed up their rope. Someone else with a file and vise filed those teeth down and made the thing work by having the rope grab by cord tension against itself (a different kind of way to loop the cord through the device) rather than have those teeth grabbing the cord to keep your butt off the ground.

<aside>
    fabric swatch is inbound
    </aside>

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast