Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tree huggers question

A quick question: I noticed some people use a carabiner or a dutch clip to secure their tree huggers ie. there is a loop at one end of the tree hugger strap in which the carabiner or dutch clip is attached to. Then the strap goes around the tree and then through the carabiner/dutch clip to form a self tightening loop that tightens around the tree as the strap is tensioned. I hope my explanation is clear.

My question: Why do you need a carabiner or dutch clip? Can't you just pull the free end of the strap through the loop at the other end of the strap? That too will self tighten when the strap is tensioned. Is there any disadvantage with this method? Will there be too much strain on the loop such that this method is not advisable? If no disadvantages, why bother with the carabiner/dutch clip?

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    There really isn't much advantage to a clip or biner. It just is a little quicker and easier for some people. (including me) If you have a really big tree and you need to use a suspension extender, it is easier to just it clip it into a biner instead of threading it through, but not much. If you are into counting grams, you can just skip them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Their is no problem simply feeding the tree strap through the loop. Ive been doing it that way for sometime now and it works out fine. The dutch clip and carabineer only make it simpler and easier for some. Others not. It just depends on how you have ur suspension system set up and what you like. Also if your using the stock suspension of lets say a WBBB IMHO its a PITA to feed 15ft of strap through the loop. But i use three footers so its really easy.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    WS, DBuckles
    I use webbing only... so no whoopie slings or the like. I have Dutch clips and tri-glides are the adjustment. The clips let this work without taking the webbing all the way out every setup. All about being easy and safe.

My trail partner is my ten YO son, he can hang his own hammock blindfolded and no worries about a failure from the suspension.

I recently got some Dutch Buckles to replace the tri-glides (will reduce the webbing which is heavy and bulky). I don't expect to keep using the clips but we will see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback guys. At least I know that there is no danger is passing the strap through the loop and not using biners/clips.

My plan is to use a tree hugger which straps goes through the loop. Then on the strap tie a marlin spike hitch, but instead of using a toggle through the MSH loop, I clip on a biner. Then I secure the whoopie sling loop through the biner. Why the biner and not a toggle? I just feel safer knowing that the loop won't accidentally be lifted up over the knot and onto the toggle.

There's nothing wrong with using a biner instead of a toggle with the marlin spike hitch right? Just want to double check before I try this out.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    /\

Not a problem as long as you use climbing-rated carabiners.

P.S. I run one end of my strap through the loop in the other end. Always have. Never had any trouble. Have fun!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whw View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. At least I know that there is no danger is passing the strap through the loop and not using biners/clips.

My plan is to use a tree hugger which straps goes through the loop. Then on the strap tie a marlin spike hitch, but instead of using a toggle through the MSH loop, I clip on a biner. Then I secure the whoopie sling loop through the biner. Why the biner and not a toggle? I just feel safer knowing that the loop won't accidentally be lifted up over the knot and onto the toggle.

There's nothing wrong with using a biner instead of a toggle with the marlin spike hitch right? Just want to double check before I try this out.

Thanks!
    Yep! My suspension exactly (the hardware-free strap through the loop method). Only been using this on a few hangs so far, but folks who know more about knots than me say the Marlin will not slip when used this way. Biners? I use the Camp Nano Photon, 29 grams, climbing rated, and haven't found anything lighter (thanks Shug-- Again).
    "http://www.rei.com/search?query=C.A.M.P.+USA+photon"
    Last edited by Loki; 07-24-2012 at 07:11.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    No problem with doing it that way, it's just that on my WBBB the free end then goes through those adjusting clamps. Instead of threading those each time I just use the biner like so many others do. Course, I could just switch to whoopys and use a marlin spike hitch. Sooo many ways to HYOH.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Last edited by SnrMoment; 07-15-2012 at 21:29. Reason: correct link
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Thanks Pips, MrClean and SnrMoment for the feedback and advice.

The YouTube video by SnrMoment is exactly what I plan to try out!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast