Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ah-hah - found my reference... (well not exactly mine, but awesome no less, and I do use it for my reference, so...)

We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    Ah-hah - found my reference... (well not exactly mine, but awesome no less, and I do use it for my reference, so...)
    Ah, but the engineer in me says "That assumes an exact weight distribution, facts not in evidence, so I'm slapping a 1.7 live load safety factor on it, so there!"

Actually I'd calculated that already for myself, but thanks

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Yeah I was looking at the chart the the other day. A 30* angle puts
    1 X body-weight on each end of hammock supports. Any angle greater than 30* puts less weight against each anchor. Any angle less than 30* puts a much higher stress on each anchor and if I remember correctly a 5* angle can have up to 10 X Body-Weight per/anchor. I might be slightly off but that's what I remember from the chart someone posted. I do not know if this means lateral pull or downward pull or combination of both. Here is where ya need a math expert. Lol..
    It's all based on trig, for every lb you weigh, your attachment has to develop a lb of vertical resistance to do so. Hanging a weight off a rope, the rope has a tension equal to your body weight as you're acting like a plumb bob. A horizontal rope has to have infinite tension to resist your body weight, as there's no vertical and a rope only does tension.

The issue with being perfectly centered is it assumes the angles on both sides the same, they're not necessarily and they'll change as you move around in the hammock. the 30 degree angle used for comfort, and the relation of a 30-60-90 triangle is 1-square root of 3-2, with 2 being the longer side. If you're in a hammock and you're exactly at 30 degrees, your weight is on the "1" side, but it's going to two different places so each side would see half your weight, so you'd develop a tension of your body weight in the rope (2 times 1/2 is back to 1), as half would go to one side and half would go to the other. This would mean that each attachment point would have to absorb a tension of B (B for body weight), which would equate to a vertical of half your body weight, but the horizontal force, which is the pullout force, is square root three times your body weight, or about 175% of the half of your body weight rounded.

So, if you weigh 200 lb, your tensile force is about 200, the pullout is, rounded, 175 (note the chart value of 173).

If you're off center, then things change a bit, as the tension has to be the same as it's a rope (or hammock), and no way to shed horizontal force, but the angles change so the supports change, and it all gets rather more complicated.

Of course, you'll slide towards the center if that happens...one of the things with engineering is that if you screw it up, Mother Nature will "help" you and try to fix it for you.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    Simple and safe way to hang indoors if your worried about a stud holding your weight.
    Is to spread the load over 2 studs like this.
    I made this in 5 minutes, and most people will have the tools and know how.
    The rings are rated 1200 lbs each and bolted on with two 1/4 inch bolts backed with T-Nuts.
    Then four 4 inch screws mounting it to side by side studs.

From this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=33723&page=6

Looks like a great idea. I knew I had seen a thread like yours earlier but didn't have time to track it down, sorry. Lots of other ideas in the thread. Hopefully this quote from another thread works. I am inexperienced at forum posting gymnastics.

Andy

Hammock
    HH-BULA, ENO SN
    Tarp
    BlueCat, GI Poncho
    Insulation
    Ridgerest+Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Images
    Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, but here's how I've been doing it. It's way more crude that Gary R's install but it works!

Made from scrap wood in the garage (a piece of 2x4 and a piece of plywood). Used some drywall screws and went into about 3 studs on each end. On the plywood end, the D-Rings are going into a stud as well.

The D-Rings are Harbor Freight cheapies:
    $2.99 per pair

Solid as a rock -- not even a hint of problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123