Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double

Hammock Noob from Florida

Hey yall!
    Just bought a ENO doublenest today and am planning on using the ENO for hanging out and camping. I have no experience with hammocks and plan on learning a lot from here.

Thanks guys,
    Donnie-

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Welcome from Gainesville!

Definitely, definitely, definitely get yourself a bug net if you intend on using that ENO down here, even in "winter". It's a ways out, but there's the Third Annual Florida Hang coming up in January, on MLK weekend (keep an eye on that thread for more information; usually the planning thread goes up some time in the fall); we had a blast at the last one and plan to do the same this year.

Not everyone knows this, but the State Park system is currently running a Pilot Program to test the viability of hammocks in parks (note that you will need 1" straps for both your hammock and tarp).

If you've got any specific questions, feel free to PM me! And welcome to the madness!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Thank you very much! You aren't too far away I'm just a little over an hour south of you in Brooksville. I will keep my eye out for the campout info. I def. plan on investing in the bug net. Are there different ones ? or is the ENO bug net best for the ENO hammocks?
    And thank you for the heads up on the 1" webbing for parks.
    Greatly appreciated

Donnie-

Whazzzup - welcome from Jax.
    Be prepared to have some of the best sleep of your life by hammocking. I've installed anchors in my house so I can sleep in my HH rather than my bed...
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Thats awesome!! I asked my wife if I could put anchors in, she immediately replied NO!! Lol thanks for the welcome.

Yah took some coaxing on my side... But I lucked out, her dad is an engineer and he built the house she grew up in, I just got his buy-in... Had him spot-check the install... good-to-go! Hoorah!
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firegator9 View Post
    Thank you very much! You aren't too far away I'm just a little over an hour south of you in Brooksville. I will keep my eye out for the campout info. I def. plan on investing in the bug net. Are there different ones ? or is the ENO bug net best for the ENO hammocks?
    And thank you for the heads up on the 1" webbing for parks.
    Greatly appreciated

Donnie-
    It's definitely one of the options, but there are several more out there in a similar price range.

Warbonnet Outdoors sells a bug net for their Traveler hammock that's ~7 oz less weight, has a better entry/exit system, and costs about $10 more.

Our very own forum member Papa Smurf sells two different bug socks (note that these are a little harder to get into and out of; you need to be able to reach up over your head to the end gather to cinch or release the nets), one of which (the tulle one) is the lightest full-length sock I'm aware of (note, though, that tulle is fragile and requires care in handling and won't stop no-see-ums by itself; you'll need to treat with Permethrin or something similar).

Wilderness Logics also sells a bug net, with a closure system similar to Warbonnet's.

Arrowhead Equipment sells an half-bug-net based on our very own Dejoha's design. This one requires a top quilt (or sheet, whatever) to cover the lower half of your body, though. It's the lightest option I know of, but requires that you have something covering your lower body (which is impractical during the heat of summer down here for most of the night for me).

I'm sure that there is someone (or are several folks) that I've missed, but those are a sampling. Also, if you're handy with a sewing machine (or have access to one and like tinkering; I didn't know how to sew with a machine when I first started hanging but do now), check out the DIY forum here. It's chock full of good ideas that are just waiting to be put to use!

Definitely gonna need some permethrin 'round these parts...
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from south Florida! Once summer is over, a few of us get together for hiking trips and Withalacoochee, near you, is one of our favorite haunts.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast