Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    Closer to the Cemetery, and its on top the hill, so pretty level the entire trip. Mule, I'm going to take a good hard look at this....could be a good spot.

ANOTHER place could be the pennisula, its at the first trail head as you come from the west on the dirt road. it is a 4 mile hike to the lake, and water would be plentyful there. Only draw back, is if the water is down, we may sink into muck getting to the water. and if its cold, the wind will be coming directly off the lake....( much colder )

another thought.....we have plenty of time to think about it....

Jerry
    Jerry, the water from the Monroe Res. is oily and full of junk. Actually, the water at crooked creek lake would be full of bio stuff so Al's onto something about cashing water in the car. Of course that is a good solution for camping at Terrell Pond too.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Looking forward to this one, no matter where it's at.

Unless major weather changes abound, I've pretty much decided on carrying water in, and maybe even caching a liter or two, for the hike back out.

Distance from trail head to hang in either instance, wouldn't be prohibitive. An extra trip back to vehicles for resupply, the same.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That Panther Gap area looks pretty cool, I was unaware of that trail.
    The Panther Gap Trail is not a marked trail and is one of several in the area that were laid out by the Sassafras Audubon Society of I. U. circa 1975. They were navigated by compass headings, distances and landmarks as was customary to that era. The landmarks in most instances are almost unrecognizable today due to forest progression over the last 35 years. But not undecipherable to the astute observer. If anyone is interested in the original trail description (guide), I can post. Big Al
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    This talk about water reminds me to ask...while backpacking Deam last October, I stopped at a small pond south of the peninsula to filter some water. I noticed a rainbow effect floating in the water – the kind you get in parking lots from oil and gas leaking from cars. Any ideas on what could have caused this? It was a fairly remote spot so I assumed it was something natural, maybe something from a plant or tree. It covered a pretty good area, probably 2’ along the edge. Regardless, I was hesitant to use this water.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    This talk about water reminds me to ask...while backpacking Deam last October, I stopped at a small pond south of the peninsula to filter some water. I noticed a rainbow effect floating in the water – the kind you get in parking lots from oil and gas leaking from cars. Any ideas on what could have caused this? It was a fairly remote spot so I assumed it was something natural, maybe something from a plant or tree. It covered a pretty good area, probably 2’ along the edge. Regardless, I was hesitant to use this water.
    I have seen this often in the summer. My guess is it is oil from rotting veggies in the water. I remember when you could buy Pine Oil for cleaning. Stuff like that.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Reckon View Post
    The Panther Gap Trail is not a marked trail and is one of several in the area that were laid out by the Sassafras Audubon Society of I. U. circa 1975. They were navigated by compass headings, distances and landmarks as was customary to that era. The landmarks in most instances are almost unrecognizable today due to forest progression over the last 35 years. But not undecipherable to the astute observer. If anyone is interested in the original trail description (guide), I can post. Big Al

Dang 35 years. Now I'm dated. Still like to see it again when you can find the time. Managed to hike most of them except for the Dogwood trail. It was alongside a power line cut, and purported to be one of the toughest the SAS laid out.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Dang 35 years. Now I'm dated. Still like to see it again when you can find the time. Managed to hike most of them except for the Dogwood trail. It was alongside a power line cut, and purported to be one of the toughest the SAS laid out.
    Rolloff, I'd love to try some of these old trails, whenever you want I'll go. You should know I get lost a lot out there.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I do too Mule. That's how you find the best places. I'm totally convinced.

Going to be a busy fall, but I'm game once the temps break a bit. Most if not all of that trail guide is suited to weekends and overnighters, so the time commitment isn't too demanding.

I know with the water being down, the Patton Cave trail, should allow for some pretty good hiking all the way to the lake proper. Probably have to fight the horse traffic though until your on the other side of the valley.

Lets work something up. I need to get some tuning and tweaking, for a KT attempt earlier the same month, or directly after the fall HH.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I do too Mule. That's how you find the best places. I'm totally convinced.

Going to be a busy fall, but I'm game once the temps break a bit. Most if not all of that trail guide is suited to weekends and overnighters, so the time commitment isn't too demanding.

I know with the water being down, the Patton Cave trail, should allow for some pretty good hiking all the way to the lake proper. Probably have to fight the horse traffic though until your on the other side of the valley.

Lets work something up. I need to get some tuning and tweaking, for a KT attempt earlier the same month, or directly after the fall HH.
    Sound like a plan. Let's keep in touch. Jerry will be interested too.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yeah, pretty sure we got Jerry down for the KT trip, so heck yes. More the merrier.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast