Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy my first hammock. On the internet the first brands that seems to popup every time are the ENO and DD Hammocks. I particularly like the DD Travel Hammock, DD jungle hammock and the ENO Double nest. But when i think i have my decision made, it came a dude and said "Buy the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro, and they are longer". Another brand that i didn't know
    So, between that ones I've mentioned above, which one would be the very best?

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy, GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images
    There are so many other brands that won't necessarily pop up on a simple internet search. My advice to you would be to use this forum and research all of the different manufacturers so that you can make an informed decision and not have buyers remorse. Scroll down to the bottom of the forum page and look through some of the specific manufacturer forums

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Not sure how you expect to use the hammock, how tall you are, or how much you weigh. It sounds like you've got some idea of budget based on the hammocks your listed.

It seems like the majority of active people here commonly backpack or camp close to their cars. The most popular hammocks discussed here seem to best fit those activities.

Let me describe how it played out for me.
    I started with an ENO DN. After sleeping in it for a couple weeks while hiking on the trail I had a pretty good idea of some of its shortcomings for my personal usage (i.e. no ridgeline for a consistent hang, no bug net).
    After seeing a couple HHs on the trail I began to enviously research some of the Hennessy hammocks. I liked the idea of an all-in-one solution that encompassed hammock, bug net, and tarp.
    I read lots of posts about the pros and cons of the HH integrated systems. I saw lots of people's recommendations for alternatives they preferred. I began to recognize some of the limitations of the HH all-in-one solution.
    Lurking on the forums I started to pay attention to what some of the most knowledgeable posters had listed as their hammock of choice. That, in addition to well articulated posts, led me to purchase what I'm using now.

When I'm researching products I tend to give moderate credence to positive reviews, and considerable credence to well thought out negative reviews. That means I look for a product nearly everyone likes, and very few people dislike with merit.

As discussed above, if you spread your net wider you might find a better fit out there than the initial vendors you've found from limited Internet searches.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    My first hammock was a used Hennessy for camping. Didn't cost much and had a lot to offer. I have switched things up from time to time and have found different setups for different situations.

My suggestion would be to research and buy something at low cost knowing that you will be changing things up. There really is so much you an do with hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoregh View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy my first hammock. On the internet the first brands that seems to popup every time are the ENO and DD Hammocks. I particularly like the DD Travel Hammock, DD jungle hammock and the ENO Double nest. But when i think i have my decision made, it came a dude and said "Buy the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro, and they are longer". Another brand that i didn't know
    So, between that ones I've mentioned above, which one would be the very best?
    You sounds a lot like me when I found this forum. I thought I wanted a ENO but, after reading a lot of posts and getting a better understanding of hammocks, I wound up getting a Warbonnet Blackbird. It is widely considered one of the best hammocks for camping and has a lot of features not in the ENO. Bu then again, there are a few more great brands also.

I recommend searching the posts but also watch a lot of Youtube videos. Even though the Warbonnet was more money, I have not regretted it one minute. I recently did get a skeeter beater pro as a spare hammock and it is really nicely made. If you live in a bug-prone area I would recommend it over the ENO because it has the bugnet built in for about the same price. The tree straps you can get for about $15 extra are definitely worth it.

Good luck whatever direction you go in!

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Hutzlbein had a nice post on the different manufacturers here. Instead of typing it all out myself, here's the link to the post.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/....php?p=1321519
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    To be able to give you better advice, you need to give more information. It would help to know your height, weight, where and when you want to use your hammock, if you have a budget, if you only consider brands sold in Europe, what kind of camping you do (hiking / car camping / ...).

The DD hammocks you listed have an integrated mosquito net. The ENO does not. Other brands available in Europe are Hennessy Hammock and UK Hammocks.

If you are willing to order overseas, you'll have *a lot* more choices.

Ok here it goes
    I'm 1.80m and weight 115kg
    My main activity at the moment is car camping but offroad, so i don't camp only in places meant for camping.
    What I'm looking now is too begin hiking but nothing to extreme, rain is will plenty and the temperature won't be extreme. But i want to able to face most situations.

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This Video may help in your decision on picking a hammock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Grh7SXUIJU

Also check out the rest of Shug's videos for Noob's. They have been helpful to me in my hammock adventure. Plus the entertainment value is out of this world.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    OK, most people your size prefer hammocks of 10' or 11' length. That doesn't necessarily mean that you will be unhappy with a shorter hammock, but if you don't know where to start, go with a longer hammock rather than a shorter one.

If you want to do multi-day hikes with your hammock, you might want to avoid weight and bulk - which is not really important when car camping. My go-to hiking hammock weighs 790g complete (hammock, stuff sack, webbing suspension and biners), which is not ultra-light, but not too heavy, either. With your size and weight, you should be able to stay below 1kg easily.

As I said, there are not too many options in Europe. You already mentioned DD Hammocks. There is a sub-forum, where you can read up on other people's experiences. There are some DD users on the forum, and from what I read, they like their hammocks. But it's by far not the most popular brand here. I have never used a DD hammock, so can't say anything about them from first hand experience. You might want to have a look at their hammock chart to see which of their models would suit your needs best.

If I were you, I would pass on ENO. Lots of people start out with an ENO, and many continue to use one at home or for naps. But most who stick with hammocks go on to upgrade to a hammock more suitable for camping. Afaik, ENO only sells no-net hammocks, so you would need to get a bug sock. I think ENO makes these as well, but the complete ENO set-up will probably cost you as much as more lightweight brands. ENO hammocks are also quite short (under 10'). Some like it, most don't.

There are more ENO-like brands; manufacturers who sell generic parachute hammocks (e.g. Ticket to the Moon and Amazonas) and even cheaper knock-offs. I would stay away. If you stick with hammocks, you will most certainly upgrade soon - so better spend the money on something with more long-term value. If you still want to buy a parachute hammock, get one of the longer ones (300cm or longer - e.g. 350cm Paradise Hammock).

Hennessy Hammock is a big brand, and most set-ups are a good deal - especially for beginners. Personally, I would stay away from the heavy poly tarps - but my HH Safari is well built and very comfortable (though with 12' much too large and heavy for me to take hiking). I assume that the shorter and lighter HH hammocks provide good comfort and are built very robustly as well. If you want to use your hammock with a sleeping pad, go for the Deep Jungle hammock. This is a double layer model and will allow you to put the pad between the layers to minimize slippage.

UK Hammocks is a small shop in (surprise) the UK. They make several hammocks. I just got a Woodsman X and an XPedition, and they look to be well made. I've only spent a couple of nights in the XPedition, and it's super comfortable. Although it's not quite 11', it feels ginormous - probably because it has tons of sag. It's quite heavy, though: my XPedition weighs 1.125g complete (hammock, webbing suspension, stuff sack - but no biners). You might be able to lighten it up with a couple of mods - but there are definitely lighter hammocks. The Woodsman hammocks are 10' and a bit lighter. Haven't tested mine overnight, yet.

Another interesting brand is Exped. They are Swiss and sell simple gathered end hammocks (Travel Hammock), more elaborate "string" hammocks (Scout models) as well as the Ergo hammock, which is a class of its own. It's not a bridge hammock - but it's supposed to give you a much flatter lay than any gathered end hammock. I haven't had the pleasure to test one, but there are many positive reports. If you go for the Ergo Combi, you will get not only the hammock, but also a fitting tarp. The package is not super cheap, but not expensive either, considering what you get - and it's fairly light weight.

In case I forgot a brand that's available over here, maybe somebody else will chime in.

If you are willing to order from overseas, there are plenty more options. Most are hand-made by (very) small companies. Have a look at the forum category "Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services" to get an overview. The most popular brands for integrated hammocks (= a hammock with built-in net) are Warbonnet and Dream Hammock, but there are many more options, depending on what you're looking for.

To help you narrow the list down ask yourself
    • do you want an integrated hammock or a hammock and bug sock?
    • will you use your hammock with a sleeping pad or an underquilt? (= single or double layer hammock)
    • what is your budget limit?
    • do you want/need a tarp as well?
    • do you need the hammock asap - or would you be willing to wait a couple of weeks (most small manufacturers only build the hammock after you ordered)?

If you have time, read as much as you can on the forum. Other great resources are the Ultimate Hang website (and book) and Just Jeff's website. If you prefer videos, Shug has done a lot of informative videos on all things hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast