WBBB & Travlers
    GTUL
    GT Nano
    Bias WWM
    TTTG lighthiker
    RoamIng Gnome
    Eno's
    Wilderness Logics Snipe

My favorite is the Snipe. Try it, you'll like it.

S

Hammock
    Frontline whoopified
    Tarp
    mammajamba
    Insulation
    modified cosmic
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Forced me to re-evaluate my needs and wants. The formula is very simple. If I can meet my hammock needs for 1/3 the cost of the caddys, it leaves me serious cash, to put toward cottage vended TQ and UQ combo, boots, a new pack to carry all my new gear. Another list that goes on and on forever and continues to expand at a giddy but almost frightening rate
    Being brand new to this ummm, "hobby" I have found this thread to be most informative and helpful.

Thanks Rolloff for this sage advice. I was really concerned what the wife was going to say when she opened the next bank statement

After pondering the advice above I promptly ordered my first hammock, the BIAS $55.00 special. This seemed to be the best way to get started and to try out hammock camping.

One thing comes to the surface, there is no ONE right way. I hope to find my right way with help like this. Thanks Rolloff and everyone else for all the input. And I didn't even start this thread, just jumped in headfirst

I agree with ftroop94 here...use what u got for now, don't rush it. Keep in mind you prob have a REI nearby - true you won't find any of the cottage builds there, but that's where you can live it up at the local hang - but anything at REI is returnable for life...
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Wow...? I mean, WOW!!! Thank you to everyone who responded. I was expecting 3-4 answers as this is probably a common theme. It's just not one I saw broken down into such a simple question.

I'd like to respond to every one directly but frankly that would scroll most people's hard drives!

As much as I love the gimmicks and gadgets (and I am one heck of a geek) the NX-250 just isn't making much sense. The theme seems to be WBBB and find a good tarp or the Hennessy Explorer with the Hex Tarp if I can get it at a no-charge. I have a feeling I'm going to do the latter.

Unfortunately there is no REI near me. The nearest is about 3 hours away in Nashville though that's where I just got a killer deal on my Werner Paddle. When it comes to the cottage industry I much prefer to buy direct and give the people who actually put the time into design the profits of their labor. Sure the price is the same at the stores but that means the inventor has to cut the cost to get it there.

BIAS is a new one and this is the first I have read about it. Frankly, I'm scared to open a link to it just because it will be one more friggen decision to make! lol (okay, I admit it, I looked... But it seems to be coming up about the same as the Hennessy price-wise)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    Thank you. That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    It's not a bridge hammock - those poles just lift the bugnet/weathershield off your face.
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    BIAS is a new one and this is the first I have read about it. Frankly, I'm scared to open a link to it just because it will be one more friggen decision to make! lol (okay, I admit it, I looked... But it seems to be coming up about the same as the Hennessy price-wise)

The BIAS guys are from West Tennessee, so think of it as supporting the local economy!!!
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Go with your gut, they're all good choices. I have the Henessey zip model and love it. I like the fact that it was a bit cheaper and came with the tarp and snake skins to boot. That way I could start out with a complete setup. I have finally added a Warbonnet Edge tarp to get a bit more coverage. The only reason for that is the chance of a long afternoon under the tarp in the rain. If you had to spend a long time under the standard Henessy Tarp you wouldn't have much room.

I Think the Warbonnet sounds like it's a bit nicer than the Henessy but probably not much. The shelf sounds nice but I don't imagine you can put that much up there and I think I'd reather keep my gear stowed. The Foot box sounds nice but some guys don't like how it feels on the calves so that has a lot to do with how you fit.

I backpack so weight was a big deal but the difference between the regular Henessey and the ultralight isn't that much. I would only do that if you're really into backpacking and want to get every ounce out of your base weight.

The NX sounds nice but it's just more than I need.

Sometimes when I'm just starting out in a hobby I can just tell that I'm going to really get into it. If you feel that way, go for the one you think you'd rather have. All three of those have a decent resell value so you can always get most of your money back out but if you go with a cheaper one and then really get into it, well you're kind of stuck.

If you do get into it you WILL want to get an underquilt. I read all about the pads and how most folks end up hating them and going to an UQ; it's true. The underquilt is the way to go. If it's going to be colder than 70 at night you'll want it and appreciate it. If you're really going to go for it, I'd probably get the Warbonnet with the larger tarp since you're not backpacking and then throw in an underquilt to boot. If there's even a chance you'll get into backpacking, go lite!!

Gideon
    If you backpack check out the BIAS (buttinasling.com) Weight weenie, it's an 11footer and you should be well under the weight of the WBB and Hennessy. The addon bugnet is only 8oz, and the ability to take it on and off is nice! Should be cheaper or close to the cost of the others as well.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Well, did it tonight and we'll see how this bug bites!

Ordered the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe side-zip with the heavier hex-fly (I'm not a gram weenie...yet) and am thinking of ordering the Kelty 12 or 16 tarp for when I need to cover the kayak or motorcycle on a trip (and the hammock at the same time). Not sure when they get here but you can imagine pics will come quickly.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to the pictures and trip reports.

Andy

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Congrats, enjoy your new gear!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast