Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies

Noob who has narrowed down to 3 choices.. Argh!!!

Greetings from Knoxville, Tn! I have made a few posts in a few forums digging for info on this newly wonderful sport and have been loving what I found.

Originally I was doing research for a regular tent (please, do not beat me for not knowing... It was an honest mistake! Even though a pair of them did follow me home...) The idea of hammock camping was catchy as it suits the uses I was going to use the tents for; motorcycle and kayak camping. For the jeep camping we usually have a few dual sports or dirt bikes with us and go for several days so the huge 8-man tent is the storage area and sleeping area. It suits it's purpose. I guess now it can be a garage for the bikes at night? lol

Anyhow, I flopped around in a friends Eno singlenest at our last camping adventure and really liked it. I was all geared up to go with the Eno Doublenest 1-link and posted some questions about it. Everything I read said I'd end up spending $200+ to get a hammock only to throw everything else into a box never to be used again. Scratch that idea. (I did pick up a single-nest and a hammock stand Sat and have been flopping in it watching TV in the evenings ever since! lol)

Decisions time

Me: 6'2, 205 and trying to winnow back down to 195. Frequent camper.

Area's to be used: Mostly eastern TN/Western NC mountains.

There is a motorcycle camping trip not this weekend but the one following that I'd like to initiate my hammock in. The problem? I haven't settled on which one to get yet!

Uses: Dual sport/motorcycle camping and the odd random camping trip.

The three contenders I have narrowed it down to:

$199/$249 Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip system. For some reason nothing about the bottom entry one appeals to me. Without the side zip it'd not even be a contender. It's also a split decision between the regular and the ultralight. I have no intentions of any backpacking any time soon so I don't think I'd fit in the Gram Weenie camp. Advantage, ready to go out of the box, comes with tarp, would just use the webbing that comes with it unless I found the need for whoopies. Also I read this is more open and airy than the BlackBird. Right now that could be an advantage, but in fall maybe not so much. I like the idea of the snakeskins but they can be added to any hammock as far as I can tell.

$305 ($175+ $130 Superfly tarp?) so Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7 (though I wish it was in black, why does everything want to be brown/camo??) Advantage seems to be a comfortable hammock, like the idea of the footbox and shelf, seems to be one of the most heavily used (stock and modded) hammocks here from my basic reading. Disadvantage: Doesn't include the tarp which means trying to figure out the best one to go with it. tarp thought tends to be the larger tarp with doors for the most flexibility. Also can be used for a multi-person shelter before crashing for the night if the rain hits and in east TN we have a lot of rain.

$429 Clark NX-250. The Ferrari of off-the-shelf Hammocking as far as I can tell. Advantages It does a bit of everything, includes everything, love the multi-pocket ideas, etc. Supposed to stay a bit warmer with the baffling before needing under quilts, etc. Disadvantage: looks like it might be a bit confining and almost like sleeping in a coffin with the spray pannel zipped. Doesn't look as easy to do things like underquilts unless you go with the ones that slip into the pockets. Seems a bit bigger than the rest when folded, still need a place for the poles. (this is a bridge hammock isn't it?) Nearly half a grand for a hammock!?!?!

If I knew for sure I would use it frequently I'd probably just get the NX, but without ever spending night 1 in one I'd hate to spend that kind of money and feel stuck with something that may not work. Am I nuts to think that way?

Open thoughts are welcome, I'm not someone you can offend so be blunt and blatant! If I'm missing an option that seems to fit the needs better or am missing some major mod that would be needed asap, let me know. I am looking to order it by tomorrow or Wed so I can have it in time to set-up once before going.

Thanks in advance from yet another newbie!

-Myk ("Mike")

P.S. Any reason NOT to use the Eno Single-nest as a gear loft below whatever hammock I get?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hey Mike,

Having options is always a good thing. I cannot speak to the NX but I can to the Hennesy and the Warbonnet. I am not sure about one being airer over the other - I do not find that. I can say that the BB having the shelf does block off one side and that tends to lean towards the less airy feel. However, i do love having a shelf and only porch one side of my tarp so I don't need to see out of the other side.

As well, I have never used the asym tarps that have come with the Hennessey's. Much too small for my liking so I have purchased others. Really cannot go wrong here. Other than deciding on if you would like the doors (to close the ends or not) most tarps come around an 11" ridgeline so your decision will be based on availability, colour and of course price. But with all the great vendors out there (OES, Wilderness Logics, Arrowhead) you really can't go wrong.

Good luck and have fun!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    As well, I have never used the asym tarps that have come with the Hennessey's. Much too small for my liking so I have purchased others.
    As a note, the full-size hex tarp is a free upgrade on the Explorer models.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Slings
    I use an ENO DN $50. A Hennessy Hexfly $60. a poncho liner for my bottom insulation $10. and a sleeping bag unzipped for my top insulation which you probably already have.

However, I wouldn't advise getting the slap straps... Some tow straps $10 and biners $10 work great! I would definitely advise getting a set of whoopies... the ability to adjust your angle is a must and whoopie slings make that much much easier. You can get a good set of Amsteel whoopie slings for under $20.

That's a complete setup for under $200.

That's what I use and I am perfectly content and sleep great.
    I'm kinda a noob though as well, I just spent some time in the military and learned to make due with what I can get... It wont break your bank, and you'll be happy you didn't spend alot of money on something your unsure of...

Oh ya, I also just use my tents' stakes... But if you were in the market for some, I'd research the MSR ground hogs
    Last edited by JDBaughman; 07-16-2012 at 11:01.
    16S/3873805/0669292

Images
    It is pretty hard to tell you anything really useful, you need to try them out ( I know, easier said than done ) and see what suits you personally. Can you get to any kind of group hang out? That is the quickest education there is in finding out what works for YOU.

You would think it would be pretty straightforward and almost every one would prefer one hammock brand period. Or maybe, there is no difference and every one agrees that it is all just a sheet of fabric strung between trees and any one from any reputable manufacturer would do, there is no difference. At least for comfort, of course little convenience factors might be different. Shelfs, suspension, or maybe size, etc

But no, that is not how it is. In the early years HH dominated here (IMO) but always with a sizable group preferring the Speer or DIY versions. Then WBBB ( and I think about the same time the JRB Bridge maybe) came along and and seemed to blow every one else out of the water, except for a very small group(back then) of dedicated bridge users. I think the WBBB was for sure top of the polls for a year or two, more or less.

But then more recently the HH seems to have made at least a minor comeback. There are at least some here who think the HHs are at least as comfy as the WBBB ( but all kind of depends on which HH also ) and there are even a few others who outright prefer the HH over the WBBB. Not as many as prefer the BB, but a significant number IMO. ( although I think 95+% prefer a suspension other than the stock HH, like the WBBB buckles/straps or Whoopies or something else)

So which one of those groups will you GeeHaw with? Then there are the smaller numbers of bridge fans, and there are some who prefer WL Owls or tttgear Switchbacks, and even Claytors, over any of the above. ( Those WL and SBs seemed to be making a real run for King of the Hill for a while, don't know if that has backed of some or not? )

Bottom line, this is a very personal game, much like a pair of shoes can be. If you can ever try a bunch of them over a weekend, there might be one that just really reaches out and grabs you and won't let go. The only down side of this is there can be a dif in lounging Uber comfy in a hammock for an hour and sleeping all night in one!

If you think all of what I wrote is bad, let me warn you that the same thing exists for UQs, PeaPods and HH Super Shelters. You will discover this wide range of opinion when you get a hammock and then realize "Hey my butt is cold" and ask here "What should I get?"!

But, it's all good, it's all fun! It is really hard to go bad wrong with any of the products often used around here.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Go with your gut, they're all good choices. I have the Henessey zip model and love it. I like the fact that it was a bit cheaper and came with the tarp and snake skins to boot. That way I could start out with a complete setup. I have finally added a Warbonnet Edge tarp to get a bit more coverage. The only reason for that is the chance of a long afternoon under the tarp in the rain. If you had to spend a long time under the standard Henessy Tarp you wouldn't have much room.

I Think the Warbonnet sounds like it's a bit nicer than the Henessy but probably not much. The shelf sounds nice but I don't imagine you can put that much up there and I think I'd reather keep my gear stowed. The Foot box sounds nice but some guys don't like how it feels on the calves so that has a lot to do with how you fit.

I backpack so weight was a big deal but the difference between the regular Henessey and the ultralight isn't that much. I would only do that if you're really into backpacking and want to get every ounce out of your base weight.

The NX sounds nice but it's just more than I need.

Sometimes when I'm just starting out in a hobby I can just tell that I'm going to really get into it. If you feel that way, go for the one you think you'd rather have. All three of those have a decent resell value so you can always get most of your money back out but if you go with a cheaper one and then really get into it, well you're kind of stuck.

If you do get into it you WILL want to get an underquilt. I read all about the pads and how most folks end up hating them and going to an UQ; it's true. The underquilt is the way to go. If it's going to be colder than 70 at night you'll want it and appreciate it. If you're really going to go for it, I'd probably get the Warbonnet with the larger tarp since you're not backpacking and then throw in an underquilt to boot. If there's even a chance you'll get into backpacking, go lite!!

Gideon

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Like said. Hard to go wrong with any of those choices, especially if weights are not an overwhelming factor. There are many options out there. At this point to be able to whittle it down to only three, is an accomplishment in itself.

Good work! and let us know what you decide!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    so the Clark NX250 is considered a 'bridge' hammock?

I wasn't sure from the looks of it.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies

Check all the vendor shipping times

A week and a half from order to arrival is cutting it very tight with Warbonnet. I ordered my superfly on 7/5 and still have not received a shipping notice as of lunch time 7/16. Probably any day now. My blackbird was ordered on 5/29 and was shipped on 6/5.

This is not to dissuade you from buying a WBBB and a superfly. I think they would be perfect for you. Your research seems spot on and all your setups will get the job done. The resale value of the WBBB and a superfly is very high if you decide you don't like them. They are very popular and seem to resell quickly here on the forums.

Andy
    Last edited by Full_timer; 07-16-2012 at 12:53.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'm waiting on the Warbonnet Blackbird double layer 1.1 to come back in stock. That's what I'd go with. I also have an ENO DN and a DIY tablecloth. I really like the DIY actually and it's a good way to get hanging. I only live about an hour and half from you in London, KY.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast